The Passion Of The Honkey.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well folks, I've been kinda hinting at it for the past few weeks, and now it's time to publically announce my shift in passion. Cars are fun. I've learned a TON from working on and being into cars.

However, cars were a fling. My first and true love is aviation, and I've missed it. For the past few weeks, I've been looking at airplanes online and whatnot, and while I've forgotten some of their names, I remember all their faces, and it's like seeing old friends again. And so, after having several long talks with aviation, I've decided to break up with cars and get back with aviation.

I've heard it before... "But honkey... you know everything! That 1200 project would be killer! Don't go! No!" Yeah yeah... look, if you don't understand my decision, I encourage you to go to your local airport and purchase an introductory flight lesson for ~$50. It could possibly change your life, and I'm not talking about crashing.

I'm not offering the 1200 for sale because it wouldn't get finished. It's going to the junker. If I ever get back into cars (I'm sure I will some day; I have some crazy shit in my design/ idea briefcase), I'll do the 1200, Metro, 3S-GTE powered Toyota Previa AllTrac, and just about every other idea I've talked about on here. I'll still come to car meets in N.E. I enjoy that. I'm just done turning wrenches. I'll also still stick around here, but only in Members Lounge. Don't email me or PM me for tech questions at all. They won't be answered.

I'll also show my projects as they come, and I think y'all will like them, because they'll still involve engines 'n whatnot... just on a smaller scale. :) By smaller scale I mean this- I picked up a Saito FS-50 model airplane engine yesterday. It's 8cc displacement four stroke, and the valves are about 1/4" diameter. I also picked up an Enya 80-4C as well, and what's cool about it is that it's a twin cam with super fine pitch teeth on the cam gears, which means I can adjust the cam timing to a degree. And since they're four strokes, turbocharging is a possibility. :D

NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bawling: :bawling:

:ji: >>>> everyone

you cant stop working on cars. you can do both. like a 2JZ powered airplane. that sounds like a honkey project to me. if i had your technical knowledge about cars, i would never do anything else.

The 2Jz is too heavy, and isn't rated for continuous operation. I'd rather use a turbo Metro engine.

Like I said- go fly an airplane and you'll see what I mean.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Mar 11 2004, 01:04 PM
I'm not offering the 1200 for sale because it wouldn't get finished. It's going to the junker.

Nooooo! Not the junkyard! :eek: I junked my '79 when I bought the Si... and I still regret that decision. Damn parents. ;(

OMGWTF (Hey, that's ANOTHER idea for a license plate for the CRX :) )

You can have more than one hobby at once you know, you make it sound like you're never going to touch a car again and only care about planes. :)

Originally posted by DarkHand@Mar 11 2004, 01:50 PM
OMGWTF (Hey, that's ANOTHER idea for a license plate for the CRX :) )

You can have more than one hobby at once you know, you make it sound like you're never going to touch a car again and only care about planes. :)

Yeah Loco... you can't FLY everywhere!!! :p

Sean, I help you.

I can't have two hobbies for a few reasons- space and money.

I can fly everywhere, anyway. By air, in the plane, on land with the AllTrac, which doubles as a radar- evading (read: below the radar horizon) cruise missle. Ask those that were at my meet in August if you're wondering what I mean. Or... just wait 'till the summer and come on up for a VT meet. :) You won't regret coming up.

I have a damn little shit box cessna *spelling

at 15 I wanted to become a pilot, took my first lesson - and 86ed the idea since, scared shitless of heights

turbo an airplaine? :huh: ... well at least u can always use nawwwsssss, after all thats where it started right? j/k

Anyway, good luck with your new hobbie, passion... u have my support.but i'm going to miss the tech help....

all that matters is being happy homie, if aviation is your true love than go with it!

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Mar 11 2004, 01:38 PM
Like I said- go fly an airplane and you'll see what I mean.

:werd:
if you ever get some extra cash look into gettin one of these:
ACA superdecathalon

amazing plane. a guy my dad works with has one and he takes me up and plays around during the summer.

flying>cars. have fun man and watch out for the birds ;)

Originally posted by 98integrals@Mar 11 2004, 08:05 PM
if you ever get some extra cash look into gettin one of these:
ACA superdecathalon

You're kidding, right? "Some extra cash?" Dude, you have absolutly no concept of what it costs to own an aircraft and keep it legal. Ask your dads friend with the Decathlon how much the plane cost him and how much it cost to get his license, how much insurance is, tie down fees, gas, and inspections and TBOs. I think you'll find that it's cheaper to own a Ferrari in the long run.

FWIW- the plane you show has what's called the 8K Paintjob. Take a guess at how much the paintjob cost...

the plane was $120,000. spread that out over 10 years.

you did forget hangar fees lol. i would say its more like a GT2 ;) . gas is $3-4/gallon. etc etc etc.

its expensive as hell but if you are serious you can save up for the next 20 years and get one when your 50ish

from a cheaper perspective,,,,,,,,it only costs like 100 or so bucks to go up for an hour with another pilot,,,,,,give that a try

go for It!!!! whatever makes you happy. hell if you transfered all your knowledge from cars towards airplanes... :eek: :worthy: :worthy: anyways, hope you have fun with it, good luck... keep in touch with us.

i have a pilots licence and half a com lic. i was enroled in the airforce in the pilot traing pro till i broke my hip the dream ended right there but hey im not 25 and have a pension so it wasn't that bad. but honkey you will love evry min of it but it way cheaper to rent 50-100 an hour

Back