Thinking about ditching the genesis...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you will be able to put your trusses in the back!

I think my 89 integra has sexy body lines even though they're all straight and square :shrug2:

141k mile audi.... umm no thanks. Personally, I would have a hard time paying that much (or close to that much) for ANY car with that amount of miles.

Love the s4 Avant.

141k mile audi.... umm no thanks. Personally, I would have a hard time paying that much (or close to that much) for ANY car with that amount of miles.

agreed. the mileage is high.

i'm planning that, if after I take it out and like it, to low ball the fuck out of them. :)
i'm thinking about offering 12k (sight unseen) and seeing what happens. maybe go up to 15 at a max. 19 is too high.

It's a bit of a rarer car though, being 6 spd and avant, without wood trim (which is a deal breaker for me!!!), so it's not a run of the mill car that is available everywhere. most are autos with wood trim. yuck. So I don't know how much they will budge. But then again, I tend to want what the rest of the market doesn't, so this may be a hard sell for them in the first place.

it really depends on my trade in too.
i'm sitting on a "time bomb" if you will. I need a clutch, spark plugs, and one of my wheels is slightly bent which makes braking hard an annoying rattle fest. all in all, its ~2 grand of service work that needs to be footed if I keep it. And that's if it doesn't blow up from detonation first.. lol I've been keeping my foot out of it and out of boost and its been fine. I'm flashing it back to stock and putting the stock airbox on it tonight to prep for trade-in.
I owe 12k on it still.
So, if I can get the s4 for around 14k, i'd consider myself even, albeit with a slightly older car with more miles....

Perhaps it's a trade down, but having awd will be nice. I'm planning to ditch my truck too. its rotting away from neglect. doesn't even run right now. so I need to get some work done to it and then try to off it. the wagon will hold 90% of what I need to carry via truck, or for those other times when it's not, my dad and 2132141 friends near by have pickups I can borrow for a few hours. Or the home depot truck for $20/hr

Plus, having more space is a good thing. the genesis trunk space sucks. i'm working on getting back into a band, and there's no way a 4x12 cab is going to fit in the genesis. my guitar cases barely fit!

The records look good on the carfax, and that likely isn't even everything. And for such a new car, it's all highway miles to get up there so quick. 1 owner, and not a run of the mill car Along the same lines, things that would have broken probably already did and were replaced. They seem to have all records of service so I plan to go through them all and see what's been done and take the car for a beat run. Any 140k mile "issues" that I feel or here are going to be me walking away.

throw a hitch on the audi and get yourself a small trailer
it will haul everything you could ever need to get...
independence is priceless. and it will be easier to load than a truck.

not sure i agree with the audi decision but do what you gotta do man
i avoid the European cars because of the maintenance costs
but you work hard and deserve to have a nice car to drive...

i'm not sure "I" agree with the audi either. :) but it can't hurt to go look, take it for a spin and see what its like.

yeah, the costs are higher, but it will be convenient to my current work location. there's an audi dealer literally just over the bridge from work. so I could drop off on the way to work and hitch a ride here. my current Hyundai dealer is 30 min in the other direction from home, making it a haul and a pain to get there to the point where there hours make it impossible for me to get there during the week.

I like the trailer hitch idea.
300tq and 340 hp is the same as a chevy 2500 pickup right? so why can't it haul lol I assume it should be able to haul at least a small landscape style trailer.
but then the dmv to reg it and the city wacks it for taxes :/ fffffffffffff

All just options :)

1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

Get the S4, but then stay committed to it and do your maintenance/upkeep so you don't run into this same situation in 3-4 years with a car that started out nice and then turns into a heap that you're tired of and want to sell again.

Hell, I did the clutch on my wife's car, the suspension on all 3 cars, brakes on the S2k- and I've driven them all about 100k combined in the last 2 years. The "youngest" one is at 85k, and I don't see any problems for the near future- which to me is another 50k per year.

Food for thought. What will it be worth in 2017 when it's at the end of the B life span and you go to sell it?

Gen would most likely be valued a good bit higher.

Not many people want to touch a 10 year old Audi.

Meh, it's still a Hyundai :dunno:. The geni's are fairly common where as the S4 will always be more desirable.

Lol B you and cars are impossible.

So are you gonna keep the Genesis or find something else?

Last edited:
Meh, it's still a Hyundai :dunno:. The geni's are fairly common where as the S4 will always be more desirable.

Problem is the S4 might cost $1500-3000 a year in upkeep.

My dad has a 140k mile A4 quattro that is loaded. its getting to the point for him that it's not really worth it. He offered it to me. I told him the cost of upkeep isn't worth the car to me, even if the car was a gift...

My brother paid $38k for the car in 2003...

It's been listed forsale at $8k. No bites. Not a single one.

What does a 2003 honda civic with 140k miles pull on the current market? KBB says about $5500.

Back