This is why you start out on weak bikes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
This bike is an R1 and the guy has the bike Im guessing about 1/2 way up the RPM range making pretty low power for what this bike could make

http://www.rocketcowboy.net/~rc/Videos/misc_vids/DPT2.mpeg

right click and do save as....

now the ZX10R has 20more HP and weighs less then this bike

do you now understand why I can say Im scared of a ZX10R in the turns?

this is WHY you start out on Ninja 500s and so on.... and work your way up

I'm guessing he was an experienced rider too.

My buddy road a slow yamaha 600 don't know which model for 3 months, and now he's buying a r6, think that's too big of a jump? ANd ofcourse, the r6 has the basics.

Dayyyum! That shit's gotta hurt.

If he was an experienced driver, then I don't think that this would have happened to him. Although, he was taking that turn a bit sharp.

Originally posted by dveit@Jun 7 2004, 11:23 PM
Dayyyum! That shit's gotta hurt.

If he was an experienced driver, then I don't think that this would have happened to him. Although, he was taking that turn a bit sharp.

shit I lay my bike over way sharper then that =)
Im sure he was not the best rider but all it takes is a slight bit of throttle while in a turn....

I could do full throttle in a turn at mid RPM and not lose it on my 600 but on that R1 all it takes is a tad bit of throttle change and wammo....

Looked like he leaned a little too much into the turn and then tried to correct himself, but didn't do a very good job.

Edit: just watched it again, Was definitely on the gas tooooo much.

hey jeffie, what do u think about a gsxr 600 for a first bike? Keep in mind that i have no riding experience.

i started on an R6. they are pretty bad ass. i dont suggest pure sport bikes to most people as starters. i had some buddies start on katana's. if you are well controlled and not an adrenaline junkie, get a sport bike. otherwise you could pull a me and wipe out "in excess of 120" per the officer. that was first R6. new one is in profile. before your friend buys one, lemme know, he might make out better buyin mine. no time to ride. btw, new R1s are friggin bad ass. lil less hp then ZX10, but handles like a dream. no doubt the R1 would own a ZX10 on the track with same rider.

...yea, that was a correction error. lol. opps. coulda been worse, coulda lauched himself due to high speed panic stop. :( lol. it happens. remember this when buying a bike, you will, without a doubt, drop it and/or fall. there are 2 kinds of riders...those that have fallen, and those that will.

If you don't have the proper skills to ride a bike, it doesn't really matter what bike your on. An r6 can still own you easily. If you have the correct technique, you should be able to hop on most any bike, and ramp up to it's limits slowly. The newer zx10R, r1, gsxr1000 etc, all have more power and better tech than most any street bike before. So really, not many people are probably used to that power, because it hasn't been available (stock at least). But they hop on, and slowly test the bike, and find out what it can do.

Once you get the basics on a 500cc area (or just a slow bike). The next thing to do is to make sure you know -what- to do, even if you haven't done it yet. Like you should know not to downshift in a corner, or use uneven throttle. Those are things that alot of newer riders don't know, but they can still ride a bike. They think that they still can clutch wheelies and shit. Thats how people get hurt jumping to a bigger bike. All I'm saying is that the knowledge should probably come before the skill. It's not just about how much power the bike has. You could dump a ninja 250 doing the wrong thing in a turn.

agreed. my only thing was, if power/right hand control may be an issue....it may be best to start smaller. go find a honda rebel. cheap and if you dump it you wont feel bad. learn the basics and get proficient. then grab a 600 sportbike. ;)

Originally posted by nismogod@Jun 10 2004, 02:35 PM
agreed. my only thing was, if power/right hand control may be an issue....it may be best to start smaller. go find a honda rebel. cheap and if you dump it you wont feel bad. learn the basics and get proficient. then grab a 600 sportbike. ;)

Werd, I learned my first things about riding on a honda trail 90 on the trails. Sliding the back tire out on corners and such. Way fun, and I didn't have to think about the clutch because it was a centr. clutch, all you had to do was let off the gas and shift. Really fun, I dumped it a couple of times on the trails my cousin took me on (he was on a polaris quad btw, also fun), but didn't feel too bad cuz it was just a beater bike. I bought my current ride, a beater 1990 cbr 600 w/o the fairings because I knew I was going to drop it sometime or another, and I have. In my driveway, just standing there and somehow let it fall on me. 400 lbs doesn't feel good falling on your leg btw. But its not a big deal because it was and still is just my learner bike. I also bought it because it only had about 20,000 when I bought it in May of 2002. Nothing has broken on it besides my fairings being junk. The motor just needs to have the carbs cleaned and tuned, which I have been too lazy to do.

my apologies. it wasn't because i own a Yamaha. It was just the initial review information that i had heard. again, i apologize. i was also told that the R1 was as nimble, if not more so then the R6, but again, i may be incorrect. and i am also aware of the power and weight of both. when i talked to guys that have ridin both, most tell me they liked the R1 better. but i guess thats opinion. sorry if i stuck a nerve jeff.

Originally posted by b16ahatch@Jun 9 2004, 04:22 PM
hey jeffie, what do u think about a gsxr 600 for a first bike? Keep in mind that i have no riding experience.

I wouldn't buy a gsxr 600 as a first bike unless it was just given to me. You WILL drop it riding off the lot if you have no experience riding.

yeah i almost dumped my 99 cbr 900rr just backin it up out of the driveway but my boy way right there and e help me catch it. imo for your first bike it should be small physically (w/o fairings good idea) but i dont think that it should be small cc wise. unliess u are a 5'5" 110lb guy. would say 500-650 for no experience and 700s are good if u have some knowlage.

Im guessing it was an opinion unless theyve riden both ZX10R and a R1 "chances are no one has been luck enough unless you review bikes or go to a open track day with random companies pushing bikes" My friend with the ZX12R sat on the ZX10R and said it felt like my F4i if not a tad bit smaller

Anyways, I've been on nither the R1 or ZX10R. All the liter bikes are bad ass and way over kill, however from all the reading I've done the ZX10R is just the baddest ass mofo out there

I've seen a shitload of new R1s and I really don't care for them, however before seeing them in person I loved the R1 I thought it looked soooo nice.

s40afb834222ef.jpg

love the R1. i think its so beautiful. but yea, i'm biased, i love my yamaha. havent had any issues with it. as idiototic as it sounds, i sorta want a liter bike so i can make a shifter cart. ZX10 or R1. perferably the R1 because i like yamaha's. tell the guy wantin his first bike top buya Busa. no need for cornering. lol. btw, that was a joke, dont tell him that.

I think the last gen r1s look a bit better. The new ones are a little overstyled imo... especially in the front end. I prefer the looks of the zx10r, they are fuckin badass.

:withstupid:

i dont like how everyone is copying Ducati with the undertail exhausts... i have yet to see one that looks even remotly good, never mind look as good as the Ducati

oh well whatever :shrug2:
leave it to japan to steal an idea from europe 10+ years later and try to pass it off as something new and innovative

bahahaha. that was pretty funny. lol. i guess we could also bring up disc brakes? or unibody construction? silly US and japan, mercedes had those long before you. lol. i do like the older style of the R1, but the new one is more comfortable.

Back