This nut is a pain to get off..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck, you will be sitting there for a long time heating that up. at least try mapp gas. not much money from a hardware store like 4 or 5$

If you can't get it off now, what happens in the event you have to get it off later? Better to take the time now and use whatever means/resources you have to to get it off than to slide by in a half-ass way and run into the same problem later on.

Keep truckin' on it.

well see.. ill cross that bridge when i come to it.
ill have access to better tools and shit soon, but for right now i just need to get the axle out of the fucking transmission.

Stay away from heat, you'll change the properties of the metal of your spinle and nut, fry the grease in your bearings, and can warp things. Just a bad idea.

Hit up the local pawn shops, look for breaker bars.. Find some gnarly old 30 pound 1960's version of a bomb proof breaker bar and never worry about it again.

i know all this about the breaker bar and all that shit.
torque=force*length.

but is there any way around taking the nut off?

lol not really, you would have to take the whole knuckle off and do it very carefully to not pull the cv apart.

my suggestion is somehow use an impact. i'm guessing you would have if you had one by now, but that was what worked for me.

i wish we didnt already take everything apart, cuz then i could just take it somewhere and have them help me get it off.

the 3/4 in breaker bar will work. I got a set from harbor freight (the link I posted). It's not the best quality stuff, but then again it's 3/4 inch, and if you use it once a year that will be a lot.

did you try putting a pipe or something on the end of the breaker bar to give you better leverage (make it longer)? that can work and it doesnt seem to stress the breaker bar as much

yes i did, thats how we broke the socket wrench and one of the breaker bars.
im gonna try again tomorrow.
theres this pipe, much longer than the one i used, in the alley.
it has a big chunk of cement on the end of it.
ima try that.
lol
its like 6 ft long.

what i usually do in a situation like this is take the whole spindle off and including the cv axle (driveshaft) and go to a junk yard and get another spindle and buy a driveshaft at a parts store that way you have a good wheel bearing and a new driveshaft..

keep on trying man. if you cant get it i'll sell you this badass 16 gauge 1 inch pipe i got in my back yard

i had this same problem get a longer bar to slide over it then put it on the nut then get on the bar and jump up and down on it till it breaks it loose worked for me.

yeah well... i might need it.. not sure i wanna sell it lol.. pretty much any pipe thats a good thickness like around 1/8+" you should be alright, and like they have all said, get a long peice about 3 foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back