thought I'd find this discussion on here

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the good thing about building it yourself is that when it breaks (trust me something will), you will know exactly how to fix it. I built my teal hatch from the ground up myself. Whenever some little issue came up, it was easy to pinpoint and fix. My current ride is an ITR swapped ek that I bought with the swap. I don't know much of the history on the car, so it makes it tough to figure out what goes wrong.

I'm not really sure how valid this example is. Yes, it's true that there are plenty of factory tubo-charged engines, but, they were designed with turbo in mind from the factory. Honda motors are not, so it's not exactly the same thing.

I would just stress quality tuning if you want a reliable turbo Honda...

Although many turbocharged motors are designed for them before hand, not all of them are. The 2.2/2.5 chryslers were designed to be NA and the turbo option was added later onto the stock block (and stock head casting).

My point really was that there isn't a huge difference between a factory turbocharged engine and a factory NA one. Mostly the differences are in the pistons, and connecting rods to lower compression ratio, add strength, and allow for better resistance to heat. So by taking a NA engine and changing a few select components, you can have a turbo car that has the reliability of a stock car and a considerable increase in power.

And yes, I would agree, even the best built engine won't last with a bad tune, so make sure that whoever tunes your engine knows what they are doing.

Although many turbocharged motors are designed for them before hand, not all of them are. The 2.2/2.5 chryslers were designed to be NA and the turbo option was added later onto the stock block (and stock head casting).

My point really was that there isn't a huge difference between a factory turbocharged engine and a factory NA one. Mostly the differences are in the pistons, and connecting rods to lower compression ratio, add strength, and allow for better resistance to heat. So by taking a NA engine and changing a few select components, you can have a turbo car that has the reliability of a stock car and a considerable increase in power.

And yes, I would agree, even the best built engine won't last with a bad tune, so make sure that whoever tunes your engine knows what they are doing.

I don't know if any of you guys are from NY but If I get to that point, yosolo is who I plan on getting the engine tuned by, I've heard alot of good things about him but I also heard he's not that good with turbos but is learning but other thatn that when it comes to NA I've seen the results of some of his tunes and haven't heard not one complaint

here are some tuners in the NY area

NRG Tech Racing Inc.
99a Bell St.
West Babylon, NY 11704

Accel Dfi gen 7, Big Stuff 3, Motec, F.A.S.T, AEM, Apex's power FC, Electromotive, Haltech, Hydra, Hondata (s100,s200, s300 and kpro) among others. Please feel free to contact me about other systems. Very familiar with dataloggers such as race-pak. I do not and will not tune any obd1 honda systems other then hondata. Thank you.
248x dyno jet in house soon to be 424x
miller@nrgtechracing.com

C.C.C. Speed Shop
Capital Car Care Inc
74 Exchange Street
Albany N.Y. 12205
(518) 435-0644

Synapse Motorsport, Inc.
446 Saratoga Road
Scotia, N.Y. 12302

Tel: 518.261.1790
Fax: 518.490.1714