1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing help 88 crx si!!!!

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by phat58chevy, Aug 19, 2006.

1. phat58chevy

phat58chevy New Member

PLEASE HELP

88 Crx si I first of all cannot find the timing connector harness that the chiltons says Im supposed to jump before changing the timing.

But when I turn the distributer ( with a timing light) the marks on the crank pulley move BUT NOT FAR ENOUGH I cannot turn any farther marks are about 3 or 4 degrees off.

does my car have an egr valve I read that a stuck one can make a car idle bad

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. hybrid_b18

hybrid_b18 crew chief

dont worry about the jumper harness, just reset tdc, thats where your problem is.

3. phat58chevy

phat58chevy New Member

help still

thanks for the suggestions. how Exactly do I reset TDC with the timing belt or what?

4. mustang67n

mustang67n Senior Member

your manual should tell you how to set it at TDC :)

5. phat58chevy

phat58chevy New Member

Please anyone

I looked all over and it never says how to reset tdc. Does anyone know how? Is there a way to do it electronicly I reset the ecu like 4 times nothing changes. I still cant get the timing marks to align.

6. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

the jumper connector on 88-89 is under the hood on the driver's side coming out of the harness that runs along the inner fender panel about mid-way between strut tower and headlight - sounds like your timing belt is not right - rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise until the TDC mark on the crank pulley (the single mark by itself off to the right of the 3 ignition timing marks) is aligned with the pointer on the timing cover - remove upper timing belt cover and look at the camshaft gear - the mark on the gear that is at about the 7 o'clock position should be lined up with the pointer on the inside belt cover

Attached Files:

7. mustang67n

mustang67n Senior Member

oh hahah ha...

jlicrx.. thanks for that pic.. i know this was for him.. but my timings been off a few notches.. and i just figure out why.. when i re-aligned everything to put the new timing belt on.. i set the two parallel, in-line notches with the head, instead of the other notch pointing at the timing cover.. WHOOPS it looks like its setting me off a few notches.. gonna fix that when im free..

lol
    good luck with your problem phat58

8. phat58chevy

phat58chevy New Member

Ill try that tomorow thanks a ton you guys.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted