Timing help 88 crx si!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phat58chevy

PLEASE HELP

88 Crx si I first of all cannot find the timing connector harness that the chiltons says Im supposed to jump before changing the timing.

But when I turn the distributer ( with a timing light) the marks on the crank pulley move BUT NOT FAR ENOUGH I cannot turn any farther marks are about 3 or 4 degrees off.

does my car have an egr valve I read that a stuck one can make a car idle bad

Last edited:
Please anyone

I looked all over and it never says how to reset tdc. Does anyone know how? Is there a way to do it electronicly I reset the ecu like 4 times nothing changes. I still cant get the timing marks to align.

the jumper connector on 88-89 is under the hood on the driver's side coming out of the harness that runs along the inner fender panel about mid-way between strut tower and headlight - sounds like your timing belt is not right - rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise until the TDC mark on the crank pulley (the single mark by itself off to the right of the 3 ignition timing marks) is aligned with the pointer on the timing cover - remove upper timing belt cover and look at the camshaft gear - the mark on the gear that is at about the 7 o'clock position should be lined up with the pointer on the inside belt cover

Attachments

• SiTbelt.jpg
    SiTbelt.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 582
oh hahah ha...

jlicrx.. thanks for that pic.. i know this was for him.. but my timings been off a few notches.. and i just figure out why.. when i re-aligned everything to put the new timing belt on.. i set the two parallel, in-line notches with the head, instead of the other notch pointing at the timing cover.. WHOOPS it looks like its setting me off a few notches.. gonna fix that when im free..

lol
good luck with your problem phat58

Back