Today, I had an epiphany.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So I'm talking with my sister today who just got back from hiking Pategonia for three months, and she says to me... "Ji, you know what you gotta do? You gotta sell all your shit, go buy a sailboat, and cruise the Caribbean. Come in to port when you need food and diesel, and work at some place for a few weeks to make enough money for supplies, and then hit the high seas for the next island. Hey, bring Rosemary with you so she can speak Spanish when you need it when/ if you decide to cruise up and down the South American coasts. Maybe cut across the Panama Canal and head up to Alaska in the summer and if you're feeling ballsy, go check out the Pacific Islands and make your way down to Australia and New Zealand."

So shit, I thought about it, and goddamn, it's an idea. Yes, I know how to sail. Yes, I know celestial navigation. Yes, I have bluewater experience. And yes, I can drink lots of rum. OK, well maybe not lots, but I can drink it like it's water 'till I pass out. With a helmet on. Just think... no rent, no boss, no bullshit internet drama, no speeding tickets, no DMV, no car payments, no getting up at the asscrack of dawn to go to work... just me, my Peruvian Princess, a wallowing leadbelly, a bottle of rum, and a nice southeasterly to scoot me around the islands.

I'm really tired of the rat race, scraping to get by, worrying about if my rent check is going to clear, always playing catch up in the financial department, ect... Sure, I have a fun job now, and it pays the bills, but it's the same goddamn thing every day... get up at 5:30, get to work, work on equipment, weld shit, go take some runs on the hill, get home at six, and either drink a beer and smoke a bowl at a friends house, or come home and do nothing 'till I fall asleep and repeat the next day.

It's still up in the air, but I am weighing it heavily, and your opinion has no bearing on my final decision, but what would you do? Would you pay off all your bills (or just tell everyone to eff off), sell everything you own, buy a sailboat, and cruise the Caribbean or maybe the world for a few years or indefinetly?

sounds like a great idea something everyone should do once in their lifetime "see the world and such"

then again your name is... Loco Honkey =)

Well If It didn't work out you could always come back to what you left..right?

It sounds really fun..If I had the knowledge you did I'd try it.

Sounds great until your ship brakes, then what? And what of your princess, with no health care she'll eventually end up pregnant, and then? Do it for a bit sure. But do it forever, I just don't think it's feesable without a resigual (SP?) income?

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Dec 21 2003, 12:05 AM
Sounds great until your ship brakes, then what? And what of your princess, with no health care she'll eventually end up pregnant, and then? Do it for a bit sure. But do it forever, I just don't think it's feesable without a resigual (SP?) income?

ummm, yea forever......... sketch. maybe a few months. TRUST ME.... you would get tired of doing sailing too. That's why people take vacations, if they did it all the time what would a vacation be?? there can be too much of a good thing. but for shits and giggles, I'd go for it. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Dec 21 2003, 12:05 AM

1) B-R-E-A-K-S.

1a) I fix it. Duh?

2) OK, so along with food, we'll have toothbrushes, clothes, emergency money, deoderant, soap, EPIRBS, a life raft with provisions, and the proper birth control. Sorry if that part wasn't obvious to ya.

3) Getting tired of sailing? Not when there's tropical paradise to be had at the next port which is about a day's sail away...

4) Feasable without residual income? Huh? Go look up "residual income," man... But I know what you mean... regular income, right? Well, that's where dropping anchor for a few weeks at some exotic local and working long enough to buy food, diesel, and all the other supplies listed in #2 and more comes in to play.

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Dec 21 2003, 12:12 AM
That's why people take vacations, if they did it all the time what would a vacation be??

No, people take vacations because they're stuck in a materialistic 9-5 world, which they believe is the only way to survive, and don't realize that life isn't about making money, having a big house, a fancy car, and bills up the ass. Life is about getting the fuck out there and seeing the world, having adventures, learning real life skills (sorry, but commuting , sitting in a cubicle, and kissing your boss's ass aren't real life skills), and finding yourself. Life is about experiencing different cultures and being free, not buying Americanized Chinese takeout and having an occasional paid holiday.

Hell, if you want, bring a laptop and a cell phone and work while you sit on the beach and sip martinis... One of the reasons why so many of you (including myself 'till about two weeks ago) are uptight and dramatic is because you've lost sight of what's really important and subconciously think that you're going to be able to take it all with you when you cross over. It's not about that, man... it's about having fun. Then again, maybe you do indeed like running in the wheel all day... I know I don't, and I'm going to do something about it. Sure, I'll have to work in order to sustain myself, my crew, and my tub; nothing is free. But, I'm talking about some little odd job in a remote corner of the world that'll introduce me to a demographic I never knew existed, and will allow me to sustain a simple, adventurous life. Yeah, maybe rejoin the masses in a few... five years... but come back richer than anyone that kept their nose to the grind stone while I was away. Or shit, for that matter... maybe just drop anchor permanently on some small island in the South Pacific and live out my life on a beach, free of all stresses associated with what we know as daily life.

Ya get what I'm saying? Everything you see and have ain't no good unless you can get away from it, and in the long run, it means absolutly NOTHING anyway.

yea but you'll still want to come back and live the old life you lived. No matter how much you think you hate it or how much it sucks, it WILL get lonely out there, even with your woman. You may not think so now, but I think you'll agree with me after a couple months at sea. I think you should not jump on this so quick. It's a great IDEA and an IDEA at that. I'm sure you know this already but If you do decide to do this, think it out for a good while. I would say 6-12 months man. It will pay off in the long run. Oh, and save a shit load of money. I'm telling you this from experience. I went to Europe this summer and went everywhere, and let me tell you Switzerland is THE most beutiful place there is. I'm convinced of this.(go there if you get a chance) But even though I was surronded by all this beauty, I missed my old boring life.

Give it good thought man

No need for the woman, unless you want to, just the ship. As you sail from island to island pull up on the beach, no docks. Do some bartending at the local bar, right down the beach from your boat. Take the waitress to your boat/portable tiki hut for the night.
You get everything this way, free food, booze, women, and if you want to get back to your old life just take an american tourist to your boat for the night! As far as paying off debts, what are they gonna do? If they find you so what, just go on to the next island...
If you do need food, gas, etc..., just invite family or friends to stay for a week, it's better than a resort IMHO. (Btw can I come and visit?)

Good Luck Ji I hope you have tons of fun and don't forget about us in our materialistic 9-5 bubble worlds. :thumbsup: ;)

Originally posted by Iron 1@Dec 21 2003, 01:29 AM
No need for the woman, unless you want to, just the ship. As you sail from island to island pull up on the beach, no docks. Do some bartending at the local bar, right down the beach from your boat. Take the waitress to your boat/portable tiki hut for the night.
You get everything this way, free food, booze, women, and if you want to get back to your old life just take an american tourist to your boat for the night! As far as paying off debts, what are they gonna do? If they find you so what, just go on to the next island...
If you do need food, gas, etc..., just invite family or friends to stay for a week, it's better than a resort IMHO. (Btw can I come and visit?)

that's very unrealistic. You have to decide what you would like to happen and what really will happen

I see where your coming from Loco and I would honestly do what is going to make you happy. Jobs come and go, so does money. If you want something different then you must be willing to risk other things in your life in order to pursue that.

but, you should plan things out accordingly. I am all about being spontanious but in some situations I would suggest planning. Me personally I have always wanted to travel to Tibet for a couple years just to get away from everyone and thing and to get intouch with myself.

best of luck.

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Dec 21 2003, 01:33 AM
(Btw can I come and visit?)

that's very unrealistic. You have to decide what you would like to happen and what really will happen

You're right, he'd never invite me to come and visit him on his ship...

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Dec 21 2003, 01:33 AM

Exactly. It's like, it'd be nice if everyone in the world would send me $1, but it ain't gonna happen.

Originally posted by Iron 1@Dec 21 2003, 01:38 AM

Actually, I wouldn't bother. I've invited you to hang out with me, shoot the shit, talk tech, or whatever, and like everyone else that I've met in Bend, you've been all talk no action. I'm not being mean; I'm just telling it how it is.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Dec 21 2003, 01:42 AM-->
@Dec 21 2003, 01:38 AM

Actually, I wouldn't bother. I've invited you to hang out with me, shoot the shit, talk tech, or whatever, and like everyone else that I've met in Bend, you've been all talk no action. I'm not being mean; I'm just telling it how it is.

SO TRUE!!! me=:owned: Bend=total snobs
my excuse, I've been working 50 hrs a week., not much but it's what I got...
I don't get home until 6:30, by that time I don't like to bother people, ya know what I mean.
But I do have time off at the end this week, give me a call...

Loco is so right!! I had this same idea when I came back from my cruise in july. I tell everyone i know its not what you have its what you make of it. Im a die hard fan of Fight Club because of this reason. "...Possesions end up owning you!"

I think this is a great idea. If you save enough money you could live for about five years in the carribean cause everything is cheap and you dont need a car, house, insurance this insurance that. I just turned 19 and I totally believe in this! I dont see why people get stuck in things they hate "quailty of life" I had my job for 3years and when I finnally sat down and said to myself i hate it, I quit no questions asked. I have a car to pay off I got phone bill, cable bill, CC bill, and now school. I said to myself these are only possesions and they do not own me. I live on what I know and always want to learn more, but its hard when your stuck at a dumb job that doesnt stimulate your mind and kills you in a way.

Loco if my schooling goes south ill see you in the carribean!

"Its not until you hit rock bottom, that you are truely free" -Tyler Durden

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Dec 21 2003, 12:26 AM
2) OK, so along with food, we'll have toothbrushes, clothes, emergency money, deoderant, soap, EPIRBS, a life raft with provisions, and the proper birth control. Sorry if that part wasn't obvious to ya.

epirb = emergency position-indicating radio beacon?

Back