turbo/compression

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pbeam27

i have been looking at post and was wondering what it means to building a performance motor with compression instead of doing turbo? :confused:

? link to what post your talking about. not clear...

Natural Aspiration = Air is induced thru intake by vacuum, at normal atmospheric pressure.
Forced Induction = Air is induced thru intake by compression, at multiple to many times atmospheric pressure.

A turbo is forced induction. A supercharger is forced induction. Each uses it's own technique of compression to force air into the motor.

You seem to be a little confused. Any clearer?

Oh and I'm thinking you mean, increasing the compression for a naturally aspirated motor. This is to extract more power at the expense of higher octane fuel. With turbo, you generally don't want a compression level as high as a naturally aspirated motor because the air the turbine compresses causes the natural compression of the motor at 1 atmospheric pressure to increase. Read the article about static vs. effective compression in the tech articles for more on that.

There was a chap on team integra that built an all motor gsr and got like 270 something to the wheels but hes last I knew he had problems up the wazoo with the idle and headgaskets and a bunch of other stuff. So he tore it apart to get teh problems solved and to do some cosmetic stuff like hiding wires and such.

here is the post that i read

I have a 1995 prelude with a h22a motor that i am going to build up. I need some opinions on whether to turbo it or do a high compression naturally asperated build. Can i also get some info on the price to do both. I dont want to go with a crappy ebay trubo, more of somthing like a turbonetics kit, but dont know which would be cheaper do to the cost of tuning the turbo build and the added cost of the upgraded fuel system.

So basicly your refering to the second post I made. When shelling out the money to build a motor, unless you have easy funds to do it multiple times, you should decide on either natural aspiration or forced induction (turbo or supercharger). Because the motor needs to be built accordingly. Going all out boost, you want sleeves, forged pistons, forged rods, high lift short duration cams, etc. With natural aspiration you want high compression and long duration cams.

cool?

it seems that you get more power out of forced induction

but yes thanks

I'm not too sure what this topic was asking, but I'll try to answer my best.

There are two things you need to consider when building a forced induction engine (compression ratio-wise, at least): Static compression, and effective compression. Static is when the engine is just sitting there. Effective compression is the compression ratio when in boost, higher RPM's, etc. The more air you force in the combustion chamber, the higher the effective compression ratio becomes.

You'll want to consider both, because if you set the static compression too high initially, the effective compression will be too high and you will have serious if not catastrophic problems. Keep this in mind. Alot of people list parts as "10.1:1 compression ratio," remember this will change depending on your setup.

Back