turbo teck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid_b18

crew chief
Yo people i need some help. I am planning to run tdO5 turbo from a volvo 740. i believe its a 16g. but i am an experienced exhaust welder but am not sure if i can build my own manifold. if theres anyone out there how welds manis, be my bug brother and guide me through this sh!t. i can put up some pics later today or so but...one more thing. i heard its better to run your BOV closer to the throttle body. but i always see racers run them closer to the turbo, and what about the german turbos( VWand VOLVO) with the BOV right on the turbo?? i need some clarity.

Thanks for any help

from what i've read, it's more effective to run the bov as close the the turbo as possibe because there is greater compression there, but i dont' know. kind of seems like it would be better to place it right next to the throttle body so the pressure would releive immediately. if i read anything that sounds like they know what wtf they're talking about, i'll post it. wish i could be of more help.

Originally posted by hybrid_b18@Sep 24 2003, 03:24 PM
Yo people i need some help. I am planning to run tdO5 turbo from a volvo 740. i believe its a 16g. but i am an experienced exhaust welder but am not sure if i can build my own manifold. if theres anyone out there how welds manis, be my bug brother and guide me through this sh!t. i can put up some pics later today or so but...one more thing. i heard its better to run your BOV closer to the throttle body. but i always see racers run them closer to the turbo, and what about the german turbos( VWand VOLVO) with the BOV right on the turbo?? i need some clarity.

Thanks for any help

The BOV is usually closer to the Throtle body. The WASTEGATE is what you see on the turbo. The two, are totally different things, and perfom different functions. The BOV release pressure from the charge pipes when the throtle is released and the butterfly closes. The Wastegate regulates boost pressure by releasing excess exaust once desired boost level is achieved.

there is no BOV on the turbo. it needs to be AFTER the exducer of the turbo, otherwise, it is pointless. the whole idea behind it is to stop the negative flow of air once the TB is closed from going backwards into the turbo which kills turbos.

And by that reasoning, what are you trying to protect? the turbo. not the charge pipe or the intercooler. I love the full-race design which has the BOV right on the intercooler where most set-ups have the inlet piping (my intercooler has 3 wholes... turbo straight into IC, bov on the side, charge pipe.)
I feel that it should be closer to the turbo than the throttle body.... and so does Geoff and PWR, but Corky Bell says otherwise.... so who knows.

a buddy of mine runs 2 blow off valves, he runs the greedy type s for street and the greddy type r for strip

i think he means 2 at the same time.

trust me, your honda doesn't make nearly engouh power to warrant 2.

yeah sorry, thats what i ment... 2 at the same time... why is that... is it for high boost... i just totaled my EP3 so im thinking about getting a 99-00 HB... and swaping a GSR and turboing it because i have $18000 to play with from my insurance company

The 1200 horse Supra we're finishing is running two because there is no one BOV to relieve that much boost quickly. Look at the Turbonetics Celica, it runs twin Godzilla's and still doesn't relieve as quickly as they want.

the guys at turbo sX said they have an adaptor for the VW the allows you to use an aftermarket BOV that fits ON the turbo. how do i add a PIC and ill show you guys and tell me what you think.

Back