Turbo Type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisWalker

I own a 2000 Integra Type R, Usdm B18C5, I'm lookin for close to 300hp, I was thinking about putting together a turbo set up. I was thinking about using a Sc50 .63, Greddy FMIC, Hondata, RC 550's, etc. My question relates to internals and compression, I'm confused on whether I should step the compression down a little, or leave it the same with new pistons....also the sleeves and rings and such, what would you guys recommend for my set up? thanks

With 8-10 Psi on that turbo, you could easily make that power. If you find a good tuner to tune that high of a compression and tune it safely, you will be very happy with the results. I would go with some 650cc's or 750cc's just to be safe. RC now makes 650cc and 750cc SATURATED injectors so you dont have to wire up a resistor box. Ordered mine a couple days ago. :D Just get a good tuner and keep the boost low and you wont have to dig into the internals.

You can boost a R on its stock internals to ~10 psi. on say a T3/TO4E-60 trim turbo and make 300hp. Otherwise you might want to add a fuel pump to your list. You could probably be just fine only running RC440's also.

you're going to need a pump no matter what.

get a walbro 255.
550's will be fine for 300 hp.

if you're going to make the jump to forged pistons, i'd drop it to 10:1.
else, leave the stock ones in

with the hondata and a good tune, you will be fine, and be able to cut some timing to keep things cool under pressure

300 WHP should be easy for you to achieve.
On the compression issue, I'd be of the opinion to use as small of a turbo as possible (I'd look more towards a Holset HX25 or a Garrett GT28 simply because you obviously have enough money to play hard if you own an ITR) because you will preserve a lot more of the character of the ITR in terms of power-when-you-hit-the-gas than if you put even a relatively small "big" turbo like a T3/T4. I don't know all that much about precision's line, so maybe the SC50 is appropriate. I'm not a fan of precision's turbos. Too much hype, too little technology IMHO. (and yes, that's just an opinion) Keep your intercooler size relatively small too - remember the turbo has to fill all that air before it starts boosting. You probably will want to get either a different set of cams or a set of cam gears. ITR cams have a lil too much overlap for good turbo cams, particularly on the vtec lobe. 0.5-1 degree of rotation on the exhaust cam is really all you need to get them in line tho. My homefry ran ITRs ungeared in a GSR block w/ a Holset HX35 and ran 440cc injectors at 100% duty cycle by 8psi. Scary fucking fast car.
Remember high compression and boost is tricky. Be consistent about what gas you put in the car. Be consistent about what oil you use. Get the thing tuned really well before you start beating it in boost. And good luck. :)

Originally posted by radnulb@Mar 12 2004, 12:08 PM
I'm not a fan of precision's turbos. Too much hype, too little technology IMHO. (and yes, that's just an opinion) Keep your intercooler size relatively small too - remember the turbo has to fill all that air before it starts boosting.

:withstupid:

they're just garrets with some stuff that no one will talk about.

FR t3/t67 for me :)

You probably will want to get either a different set of cams or a set of cam gears. ITR cams have a lil too much overlap for good turbo cams, particularly on the vtec lobe. 0.5-1 degree of rotation on the exhaust cam is really all you need to get them in line tho.

itr cams are fine... just get some cam gears to tune them back a little bit... or sell them/trade with a dude with a gsr + cash

Originally posted by xyswany@Mar 11 2004, 06:28 PM
on say a T3/TO4E-60 trim turbo and make 300hp.

that seems a little big for me, you would have some huge lag.

personally i would recommend the disco potato. its the Garrett GT28RS. its good for 350whp, and will be fully spooled by 3k.

plus in the 60 A/R trim it makes i think 68% efficiency.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy+Mar 12 2004, 01:08 PM-->
@Mar 11 2004, 06:28 PM
on say a T3/TO4E-60 trim turbo and make 300hp.

that seems a little big for me, you would have some huge lag.

personally i would recommend the disco potato. its the Garrett GT28RS. its good for 350whp, and will be fully spooled by 3k.

plus in the 60 A/R trim it makes i think 68% efficiency.

turbo lag isn't always a bad thing.

I'm using a t3/t04E 60. trim and .82 a/r and it's a huge turbo especially for my little b16 but the turbo lag isn't as bad as most people think, at least to me it's not. the turbo is fully spooled right when VTEC engages. Personally that's exactly where I like it, but everyone has differen't preferences. I also have another t3/t04e turbo with .60 trim compressor housing, although I'm not sure what the a/r is on it I know it's smaller than .82. I guess if I ever get tired of having the huge turbo on I can always just slap the other one on.

with his compression lag wont be that big of an issue....ur powerband will be extremly nice if tuned corectly.... watch out fellas we have a monster in the making.

Back