Turbo'ed D16Z6 getting too hot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I HIGHLY doubt it is fuel/ignition related...

The turbo doesn't compress air in part throttle situations, ergo...the
turbo isnt increasing the temp of the air going into the motor. Even if it
was, this would have nothing to do with the cooling system in your car not
functioning properly. You think guys with excessively built motors
running 40 psi of boost have lower intake air temps than you? Nope...and they
don't overheat.

One thing not taken into account was that built motors with 40 psi tend to have tuning and larger injectors...
I unplugged the ECT off the head and will drive it with a CEL. Hopefully this will show lower temps.

ok, so update

I unplugged the ECT sensor lastnight and drove it home without it getting excessively warm
maybe 3/4 while going up the big hill, and it used to be right at the line before red...
this morning i plugged the ECT back in and rolled the distributor all the way back, no overheating issues...

so I'm thinking B was dead on...
brought my auto P28 to ship out to chris today
so hopefully I'll have everything by early next week

The turbo doesn't compress air in part throttle situations, ergo...the
turbo isnt increasing the temp of the air going into the motor.

lol wtf.

on your dinky turbo, you can probably make 5 pounds on under 3/4 throttle.
i can make 10 psi in 6th gear at 50 mph part throttle on my sti.

he's smoking something... or didn't read what you wrote right.

fix your code.

fmu's don't allow for any ignition control... so under boost, it's still getting way advanced-- the way all motor cars run. boosted, you want to retard the ignition up top about .5-.75 degress per psi. so at 10 lbs, you want to be about 5-7 degreess retarded from what you are at currently.

so, fix your code... and get a base map together (let me know if you need help, or if chris isin't giving you one with the ecu) and go from there.

and get the lm-1. the lc-1 is a pain in the ass to set up and read. the lm-1 is a plug it in and you're done type deal. and you can watch it right there on the wideband. much easier.

or didn't read what you wrote right.
thats what i was thinking...

so, fix your code... and get a base map together (let me know if you need help, or if chris isin't giving you one with the ecu) and go from there.
i just had to plug the ECT back in to fix the code
i think i might be getting a couple base map chips but if not i think i can hack it out... read a couple good writeups so i think i have a decent knowledge base to start... ie: copy P28 maps into a P30 rom and then add boost and go from there

and get the lm-1. the lc-1 is a pain in the ass to set up and read. the lm-1 is a plug it in and you're done type deal. and you can watch it right there on the wideband. much easier.
hmmm, i was planning to go crome pro and datalog so that shouldn't be an issue right?

Back