Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vizio

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

or just get a reciver with hdmi switching and run the reciever as you rbrain of th entertainment system like you're supposed to and you have the need for just 1 hdmi into the tv again.

Like so..

3290.jpg

My 40" Westinghouse came yesterday. For $300, it gets two thumbs up. Picture looks great and I'm not even using an HDMI cable. It has 3 ports for HDMI, 2 USB, and 2 component hook-ups. Like I said, I was a little weary, but went on a friend's review. I couldn't be happier.

I still havent pulled the trigger on anything yet. Still leaning towards the 50" panasonic plasma. Its one of the few 50s that will fit my space and overall has good reviews, and definitely seems like a good value.

I have given a look at smart tvs and they somewhat interest me... think its really worth the money? Theres a nice 46" samsung smart tv on sale...

Plasmas suck power and get hot. if your generation rate is high, or you live in a hot climate, it WILL effect your energy costs. I think the energy star rating was like $40 on the plasma and $1.23 on the led i looked at. Then factor in the added a/c use in that room..... and the price of it over the next 5 years starts getting worse.

Plasmas suck power and get hot. if your generation rate is high, or you live in a hot climate, it WILL effect your energy costs. I think the energy star rating was like $40 on the plasma and $1.23 on the led i looked at. Then factor in the added a/c use in that room..... and the price of it over the next 5 years starts getting worse.

FUD.

TBH, current generation plasmas are the same if not lower than many popular LCD models.

Plasmas also havent been able to increase room temperatures in YEARS. The back of mine is actually cool to the touch right now.

Get a smart tv with wireless and connections/inputs become useless.
I can beam direct from my galaxy s3 right to my tv. its fucking bad ass. (well, i could until i broke the damn screen.... :( )
plus with apps and intenral storage, its basically an endless supply of anything you want from netflix to amazon to a full web browser. Don't need to hook up a computer, or roku, or anything else besides a BD player. I'd be fine with just 1 connection, as that's all i need. I don't game, so may 2 if you do.
I also don't use a cable box. so 3 if you do.
or just get a reciver with hdmi switching and run the reciever as you rbrain of th entertainment system like you're supposed to and you have the need for just 1 hdmi into the tv again.

Not to mention using your phone/tablet as a remote control for your smart tv or surround receiver.

Just added this RX-V673 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States to the entertainment system and couldn't be happier so far.

Next up are some in wall speakers for front, center and rear surround channels.

Not to mention using your phone/tablet as a remote control for your smart tv or surround receiver.

Just added this RX-V673 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States to the entertainment system and couldn't be happier so far.

Next up are some in wall speakers for front, center and rear surround channels.

i have the same receiver on my Bic Acoustech Cinema 6 speakers(see picture above). thing rocks.. i can't even turn it up past 20 without my ears and eyes bleeding but the sound is so crisp and clean it's amazing. I only have a 5.1 setup though but it's way more then enough

Good deal! dammit i just bought the 50" panasonic U50 model for $599 a couple days ago.... not that theres much difference, since i dont like the 3d feature anyway.

i noticed that too...
and probably had about the same thought you did about the articles age, at first...
after thinking about it a second time i changed my line of thought... true the article is going on 6 years old... but if the old thoughts of "plasmas are hot" or "plasmas are power hogs" were outdated way back then, how much less valid are they now

now i have not bothered to do any research on todays modern plasmas vs todays modern LCD or LED TVs so i dont know how they currently compare... but i wouldnt automatically write plasmas off as old outdated technology like a lot of people tend to do

just my thoughts on it
$0.02

Some of the new plasmas have screen saving functions so that they don't burn in images from games or channel emblems. That's a game changer for a lot of people, cuz plasmas have awesome screens and viewing angles.

I do consumer reports when doing a purchase. Costs you 7 bucks for the month, but it takes out all the headache. Even amongst the same brand name, there are variations of quality.

Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Very recent and IMO, a critical article about the Plasma Burn-in issues.

I did extensive research before making the jump to plasma. Here's what I found:

- Great viewing angle.
- Typical energy consumption = 100-120 watts (LCD ~ 60-80w)
- Awesome picture and color.
- Not as bright as LCDs and need a darker environment.
- Definite glare, but doesnt bother me much.
- Slight panel buzz if you're < 2 feet away.
- Burn in protection by pixel shifting (not noticeable) and screen savers.
- No ghosting and unnoticeable input lag.
- Best "bang/buck" ratio for size and picture quality.

With that said, the most glaring issue is burn-in. But Ive played Street Fighter for 3 hours straight per session and 3-4 hrs of watching ESPN straight with static HUD info ticketers and no burn at all. However, I do ensure the burn-in protection and do full screens to reduce the risks.

All in all, I would recommend plasmas over LCDs except in these situations: pc monitor or RPG type games with static display because of burn in. But I got mine at Costco and sales rep said even burn is covered with their generous 2yr warranty service. :cool:

Costco warranty service? Shit, something happens u dont like, take it back and get your money back whenever

:werd:

exactly why i try to make all my bigger purchases at Costco
cant beat the coverage

Only if you are within the allotted time frame. I lived with a Costco insider. People returning empty jars of pickles that came in multi-packs because one of the jars "tasted bad." :ph34r:

Only if you are within the allotted time frame. I lived with a Costco insider. People returning empty jars of pickles that came in multi-packs because one of the jars "tasted bad." :ph34r:
I had to do that with some applesauce. Only one was empty, the others were full. The applesauce tasted like fish.

Back