Ughhh

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

on the passenger side kick panel you will fin to 2 wire plug jump the wires together using a paper clip, the check light will start flashing. long flash = 10s short flash =1s

Do you have like a picture diagram? And new update, the check engine light only comes one when its cold. If its warm the car is fine. Wtf?

So does anyone know what it could be? If its cold the check engine light comes on and the car does all the symptoms as before (minus the trying to die) but when the car warms up everything kicks back in and works fine. Or if i start the car when it is not freezing outside the car acts fine. No check engine light and everything works perfectly.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Haha still no answer. Also new symptom has steared me toward a bad vss. Today my tach died an the came back on a few times and the the speedo stuck at like 40 and the took its time to drop back to 0 when i stopped. But as soon as the car decided to make the alternator kick in everything was fine. Which also makes me wonder why the alternator is not constantly turning? Because as mentioned before my belt is squeeling and today as i was sitting at the stop sign after my tach and things messed up. My car kicked the alternator on because out of no where every light got brighter and the heater started to blow a little harder. I know the alternator can not be bad i just put a new one in it. Also when the tach and speedo died my lights were really dim and the heat was barely blowing.

I need some serious help. I can not scan the car for codes it just says error. And it only does this shit when its cold.

The vss wont cause the tach to go crazy, it only controls the speedometer. The negative side of the coil controls your tach. Sounds like you need to tighten the alternator belt up a little bit should have 1/2" play both ways. But it is strange that it only happens when its cold thats got me baffled.

And not just cold. Like it has to be at least freezing temp. And just checked my alternator belt. It is kinda loose. Ill tighten it up and see if that helps. Would the vss cause the speedo issue? Or do you think it might just be from a lack of power because the belt is slipping?

Okay, so my issue is totally based on the weather temperature.

Earlier today it was in the 40s. Car ran fine not one issue.

When I cam to work tonight it was about 35 degrees and the check engine light was on and my lights were dim no speedo.

Driving home on lunch about 32 degrees. Check engine light was on, no speedo dim lights and was only getting dimmer.

Driving back to work. Now about 29 degrees and it starts sleeting. Check engine light is on. I can not turn my heat on because it will cut out my lights. As the drive goes on my headlights get dimmer. All my gauges go out (back light is still on but very dim) Turn onto the street my company is on car trys to die when I give it gas. Turn into parking lot and I turn off my non-existant headlights the car trys to pull now but very weak spitting and sputtering trying to die. Pull into my parking spot and the car idles fine, The alternator can sustain enough power to keep the car running, however when I give it gas the car tries to die.

I have suspected my problems was based on weather temperature for a while now, but this is just proof. As the weather gets colder the worse the problem gets.

I have replaced the alternator and the battery. Any guesses??? Anything. I will try anything. If it will fix it. I NEED a car.

we gave you the answers but until you actually do something it will never go away

Thanks man. I am going to do this tomorrow. Im going to try to get some codes.

Last edited:
So i get up under my car to do this paper clip trick and i dont have that plug. The wires have been cut and the clip is not there. Im going to connect the wires anyway. See if it does anything

Connected the wires. It came back as gave me a 17. I checked it several times. Thats the vss. I ordered one and it should be in around wednesday

So I was reading back through here. I want to make sure I read the code right. When I hooked the wires together it did this.

1 blink for about 2 seconds
7 blinks for about .5 of a second.

17 correct?

Thats what I thought. Now does anyone know a good walkthrough on how to change the VSS? And would the VSS really cause my electrical issues? It only does it when the check engine light is on. And it throws the VSS code, however I do not see how that ill fix the electrical issue. Im still changing it, however i just want to know if this will really solve my problem.

the vss is easy just use a very long extension and a 10mm socket and it should have two bolts. first unplug the sensor the remove the bolts. for the alternator issue check the fuse for it should be fuse number 15, 7.5 amp fuse, the vss and a few others run off the same fuse. I just fixed a simmuler problem on a 96 civic that kept blowing the alternator fuse turned out the vss is bad so i unpluged it and the fuse didn't blow..

its right below the throttle body. it doesn't hurt to un hook it but if you have vtec then the vtec wont work without the vss hooked up. but yeah the vss was already bad and it was shorting out the fuse and causing the speedo and tach to jump around, so i un hooked it for now until they get a new one..

Back