US Armed Forces... Which Branch???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im not going to tell you which one to join but heres my knowleadge..
im a navy brat..my dad has been in for over 20yrs..
yes you do have to work your balls off to get somewhere but in the end it pays off..\
you do not have to go on subs for mnths on end..only if thats what you choose to do..
there are so many choices to stay on land in the navy that ppl are unaware of...
if i were to join it would be the navy..along with my brother and cousin

oh and navy will pay for your college..you can take it while serving military
and since your still in HS..take the asvab..

Has anyone posting here even had experience with the Marine Corps? The reason I say that is that all the answers I've seen are the typical "want to kill stuff with your bare hands", "tough life" etc. Its really not that simple. Quite honestly you could say my answer is a bit biased, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably still pick the Marines. Sure, every Marine is a rifleman, and you're trained as such. But the branch still has a ton of occupational specialties (jobs) that don't directly involve the infantry. What I like about the USMC is that it instills you with an amount of pride and professionalism that you simply will not find in the other branches. If you can notice the difference between someone in the Army vs a Marine side by side (from a civilian perspective), I can tell you it becomes a lot more apparent when you're a Marine looking at everyone else. Sure, life is tougher, your living conditions aren't always the best, you get yelled at more often... Who cares though? However it really depends on what you're looking for in the military.

I recently ended 5 years of service in the Marines, making up to the rank of Sergeant. I was a 6172, CH-46E helicopter crewchief. I may not have been able to be a pilot due to lack of a college degree, but I still had the time of my life. As a crewchief I was basically an in-flight mechanic, loadmaster, observer and door gunner. I've been shot at, got to see plenty of the world and saw places most people will never see in their lifetime. The Army has too many people that are bloated and completely out of shape, and they have no sense of discipline. I can't see how the Navy guys can last for months on those boats, when I start to lose it after about a month at sea. The Coast Guard is like Navy-Lite. The only thing I envy about the Airforce is that their living conditions are awesome, and it seems whenever they build a base its designed AROUND the golf course, which comes first (they have way too much money...). With the Marines I feel like I got a mix of everything, and more. Learned how to shoot well and land-nav, spent time at sea, got to fly almost every day. And our uniforms look kick-ass.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

But then again, the choice is up to you...

The guys here haven't met Oddmanout84 (Chris) and he is in no way the looks of the like's of that he's a prior Marine... I'd almost say Chris (TurboMirage) is just a tad bit bigger, but flabby-er..than the new Chris.

I was an F-15 crew Chief in the air farts...but I now build helicopters...

profession wise...I'll always have a job...but only after I got an airframe and powerplant license from the FAA...

The guys here haven't met Oddmanout84 (Chris) and he is in no way the looks of the like's of that he's a prior Marine... I'd almost say Chris (TurboMirage) is just a tad bit bigger, but flabby-er..than the new Chris.

I suppose it has something to do with the longer hair, beard and the fact my muscles have completely atrophied since getting out, lol.

you haven't been to enough of my BBQ's...

But yeah. Not everyone in the USMC is a grunting, hulking jughead stereotype. There's a lot of perfectly "normal" people as well.

you haven't been to enough of my BBQ's...
Well I'm trying to keep my girlish figure...

I personally know close friends and family members who are in every branch of the service. Here is my gathering and what I think (no military exp. myself).

Navy
-Pro: Travel around the world when you port.
-Con: In the sea for the majority.

Army
-Pro: In the service? Lots of hands on type of jobs.
-Con: They dont call them grunts for nothing.

Marines
-Pro: Trained killer.
-Con: Most physically demanding out of all the branches.

Airforce
-Pro: Most spoiled in terms of material luxuries.
-Con: Not much I can think.

But in either branch you get a) yelled at and a lot of phsyical labor b) pride you served your country c) one hell of an experience.

I myself went to college and got a BS in biological sciences (encompasses every branch of biology) and havent been able to find a job. However, I am setup to do anything in the medical field and plan on becoming either a pharmacist or a physician/assistant.

If i had to do it again, I would still pick college BUT join ROTC. With a degree youre auotmatically a ranked officier and depending, you can get the military to pay for your undergrad and graduate work. Plus, you'd get to travel and serve your country.

PS if you do choose the military, I say awpticks has it covered and my observations are less than ideal =).

I've never served, but if i were to, i would chose the navy.

1) always a bed to sleep in, regardless of how tiny.
2) always a shitter to shit in and paper to wipe your ass with, regardless of how tiny.
3) always hot chow available
4) always hot showers available
5) least likely to be (personally) shot at. ship attacks rare nowadays, and i can't think of the last time a us ship was sunk in recent history.
6) being on the open water is f'in awesome.

naw, i'm too old and too settled. i also don't believe in the wars we're fighting and therefor have no interest in serving for something i don't believe in.

I'm with the navy. A lot of good jobs are taught in the navy that will transfer over to the civilian world. It's very safe as well.

im not sure about the other branches, but i just spoke with a teller that said her brother is trying to join the airforce and they are backed up for at least 3 months? economic reasons and everyone is trying to get a paycheck?

makes sense if you cant find a job and have no real education or aspirations, then join and make some money and a career.

Wow thanks a lot to everyone for the prompt replies, your advice is much appreciated.

HUGE MISCONCEPTION!!! you dont' have to go to the academy to be a pilot. You can go to a standard college, get your degree, then enlist to be a pilot. Or you can go ROTC and have the military pay for college and be a pilot and go after, OR you can go to the academy. I knew hundreds of pilots. At most, 10% went to the academy. The big thing you need to know is that if you want to fly, you must be an officer, to be an officer, you must have a degree.

i'll try to ask a few questions to make this easier. i'll list them out, you just reply. in number order like how i post them.

1) why do you want to GO in the military?

2) what do you want toDO in the military?

3) what do you want to do AFTER the military?

4) why not go to college?

5) where do you want to live while in the military?

answer these, and i'll help you decide which branch (if any) would be good for you. and i'll give you some advice on some of the careers to choose from too.

I think most of you guys have misread me, I'm actually 100% certain I'm finishing HS, and I AM going to college one way or another. I'm not enlisting just because I don't know what to do with my life. I actually have a fairly good idea and it just so happens I see myself in the military, at least for a while.

Anyways,

I've always wanted to, ever since I was very little. I guess part of it is b/c of the hollywood flash, which I know is retarded but I'm not gonna lie. In any case I just think it would be a great experience, I'm always looking to learn new things and experience different stuff and it just seems to me like I could grow so much by enlisting. Plus, and this is kind of weird since I'm not even a US citizen, I am a very proud person and I would like to have the honor of fighting for this country.

I'm not 100%, probably something along the lines of computing/networking.

3) what do you want to do AFTER the military?

Ehh... I'm shooting for a writing gig :ph34r:. No kidding... But in the meantime I'll probably work with computers/networking being as thats what I'm good/knowledgeable at.

I AM going to college :p

Dont care, as long as its not in the middle of the sea (Hence the Navy getting ruled out).

My idea was to do something along the lines of going into the Reserve for my time in college & then switching to active duty afterwards. If something big happens and I get deployed then oh well, thats what I sign up for.

I have no experience in any term of service. I will do the same as everyone else that isn't and give my input from an outside perspective.

My friend just got back from boot camp for the marines. Said it was no big deal. He was a wrestler and a tough guy. He hates most of the people in there and will attest even if you are fat, you will get through. You can fail PT and they will push you through no biggy, you just don't get PFC right away.

My best friend said the same thing about the Army. Even if you don't pass, you get through. He said everyone was a motherfucking retard in the service. Unfortunately I have many other acquaintances that are retards in the services, and this is a testament.

At that, I am slightly, only slightly considering joining in the future because I do have a college degree. I'm very healthy, fit, and would be able to make money in which ever field I want to join, but its up to me to well join.

I've always wanted to, ever since I was very little. I guess part of it is b/c of the hollywood flash, which I know is retarded but I'm not gonna lie. In any case I just think it would be a great experience, I'm always looking to learn new things and experience different stuff and it just seems to me like I could grow so much by enlisting. Plus, and this is kind of weird since I'm not even a US citizen, I am a very proud person and I would like to have the honor of fighting for this country.

there is absolutely NOTHING glamorous about the military. i have lived on or visited 9 different bases. everywhere i have been, if you are off base in uniform, people look at you like an intruder to their town/city/country. It's not a good feeling. we are very unwelcome in a lot of places. The U.S. has very little appreciation for what we do because they dont' see the results first hand. we get shit on all the time. remember vietnam? they were called baby killers, murderers, etc. it's not fun.

I'm not 100%, probably something along the lines of computing/networking.
If you do go that route, do something in the Air Force. you have good chances of being stationed in the u.s. and will be able to do traditional networking. networking in the marines and army will be in outbound locations. not much of a carry over to the civilian world. Also, if you choose that field, make sure the EXACT job you want is on your contract. don't believe them when they say that you can pick later. they will also say, "that job isnt' available". it's bullshit. it's always available they are trying to steer you into a quota they need. always remember, the recruiter could care less about you. they dont' give a fuck if you died your first day of basic. no matter what they say, remember that they only have their best interest in mind, not yours.
) what do you want to do AFTER the military?

Ehh... I'm shooting for a writing gig :ph34r:. No kidding... But in the meantime I'll probably work with computers/networking being as thats what I'm good/knowledgeable at.

if you want to be a writer after the military, be a writer in the military. yes, they have those jobs. you can also get into photography and other artsy stuff like that.

I AM going to college :p

i mean why not go right out of high school? don't say because of the cost. if you want to go to college bad enough, there are ways to make it happen without going in the military.

Dont care, as long as its not in the middle of the sea (Hence the Navy getting ruled out
).
then don't go in the marines either. they are joint forces and a lot of marines are on navy ships.

My idea was to do something along the lines of going into the Reserve for my time in college & then switching to active duty afterwards. If something big happens and I get deployed then oh well, thats what I sign up for.

best idea yet. if i would have known about the reserves when i went in, i would have gone that route. it's the best of both worlds. military benefits and experience while still going to college. plus there is an easy way out. you can pretty much just quit. i dont' care what anybody tells you, you CAN get out of the reserves far easier than full time military.

there is absolutely NOTHING glamorous about the military. i have lived on or visited 9 different bases. everywhere i have been, if you are off base in uniform, people look at you like an intruder to their town/city/country. It's not a good feeling. we are very unwelcome in a lot of places. The U.S. has very little appreciation for what we do because they dont' see the results first hand. we get shit on all the time. remember vietnam? they were called baby killers, murderers, etc. it's not fun.

Right, but YOU are doing some good whether other people realize it or not. I've never been one to care what others think of me (Unless its a chick I wanna get with :D). Like I said, I think it would be a good experience that I would benefit from and could feel proud of.

If you do go that route, do something in the Air Force. you have good chances of being stationed in the u.s. and will be able to do traditional networking. networking in the marines and army will be in outbound locations. not much of a carry over to the civilian world. Also, if you choose that field, make sure the EXACT job you want is on your contract. don't believe them when they say that you can pick later. they will also say, "that job isnt' available". it's bullshit. it's always available they are trying to steer you into a quota they need. always remember, the recruiter could care less about you. they dont' give a fuck if you died your first day of basic. no matter what they say, remember that they only have their best interest in mind, not yours.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still iffy about the AF... IDK something about it just doesn't really appeal to me but I will certainly talk to an AF recruiter also.

if you want to be a writer after the military, be a writer in the military. yes, they have those jobs. you can also get into photography and other artsy stuff like that.

Really now? Thats new, I will look into it thanks!

i mean why not go right out of high school? don't say because of the cost. if you want to go to college bad enough, there are ways to make it happen without going in the military.

I assume you didn't read my entire post before you wrote this, I would like to go to college like any regular guy so I don't miss out on the experience. I just also happen to want to join the military, hence the idea of going in the Reserve.

then don't go in the marines either. they are joint forces and a lot of marines are on navy ships.

Point taken, I couldn't stand that.

best idea yet. if i would have known about the reserves when i went in, i would have gone that route. it's the best of both worlds. military benefits and experience while still going to college. plus there is an easy way out. you can pretty much just quit. i dont' care what anybody tells you, you CAN get out of the reserves far easier than full time military.

Yeah thats what I figured, thanks for the advice.

:yes:

It took me a long time to realize that... Think about 'Marine' animals!

They also take crap from navy guys about how they're just employees of the Navy. :D

Back