vtec help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know everyone gets mad when someone asks about vtec but I still need help. If I am converting from non vtec to vtec what are all the wires I need to plug into the ecu manually. I know I need to plug in the vtec pressure switch and the vtec solinoid, is there any other wires. I swaped in a SOHC vtec ZC into my 92 civic lx. I was told to use old engine wiring harness and then manually plug in vtec wires to the ecu. Hopefully there is a way to get my vtec to work without going and buying a whole new harness.

its pinned in the wrong space or you need a new vtec solenoid.

Hopefully it's not pinned in the wrong spot. I looked at an OBD1 wiring diagram to see where to put the wires. How do I check to see if the vtec solenoid is working. Can a Honda shop do that?

I am almost possitive it is not working because the engine light is on and there is never a boost of power. The engine is hardly any more powerful than the stock non vtec 1.5L engine that came with my car.

You can always check for codes. There is a plug above the ECU on the passenger side, it will be a 2 prong plug. You can use a piece a speaker wire if you want. Anything to complete the circuit. Then just watch and count the number of blinks / pauses the check engine light gives you. Then check this thread - Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): The new CEL thread (includes how-to and codes) for the code translation.

That thread will have pics of the plug Im talking about too. That thread helped me out a lot when I did my swap.

Now that I think about it - if your car is a 92 then it should have the VTEC wires already. Maybe its different for coupes?

this might seem kinda dumb but did you change the ecu?

So you want me to put the one solenoid wire into the blue wire from the vtec pressure switch. And ground the black wire from the vtec pressure switch.

So you want me to put the one solenoid wire into the blue wire from the vtec pressure switch. And ground the black wire from the vtec pressure switch.
no cut off the wires from the vtec pressure switch( be shure to leave enuf room for the wires to be reconnected just incase it wont work) splice the blue wire into the wire going to the solenoid and then ground the black wires somewhere on your chasis. I did this and my vtec kicks harder than a wife hitting the ground at a nascar convention

I understand everything you said except grounding the black wires. I only have one black wire and that's on the vtec pressure switch. And if I unplug the pressure switch there are no ground wires left to ground. I was also thinking about when I was plugging both the solenoid wire and the pressure switch wire into the ecu, there were already wires in the slots where I needed to put the vtec wires. So I just unplugged the wires and plugged in the vtec wires. Is that what I should do?

Back