vtec problem please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by evoracer03+Aug 28 2005, 10:11 PM-->
@Aug 29 2005, 12:56 AM
Try this, start your car and go down the road, run the car till you hit VTEC in first, second, and third gear: when this is done, keep going into fourth gear and see if it will do what you are saying that it is doing!? If it does it, your VTEC sensor is bad. That is how we used to check them at the Honda dealership i used to work at. And the messed up thing is that it will reset itself after the car is shut off, but for some reason it takes hitting VTEC 3 times to throw a CEL.
[post=546463]Quoted post[/post]​

which sensor would that be? i wasnt aware that vtec operation relied on only one sensor.....
[post=546528]Quoted post[/post]​

It doesn't, but the ecu checks if the coolant temp is up to 160 degrees, rpm is high enough, and if oil pressure is good to engage vtec....then the vtec solenoid will open to activate vtec.....so no, it DOES NOT rely on just one sensor, but one of 3 sensors could be bad to affect it, not includind the vtec solenoid itself.

how do i find out if it oil pressure problem
what pressure should i have?

My newly swapped car is throwing code 17 for the VSS sensor, and also code 22, for the VTEC oil pressure sensor. I have some minor dents in my oil pan, but I have been throwing this code since the first time I started it up and before I ever drove it. I am pretty sure teh VSS is dead since I used the wiring harness off my DX and the DX sensor worked. So can I swap the old sensor onto the b16?

For VTEC oil pressure will I need a new oil pan or is it more likely a bad sensor?

Back