VTEC vs LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wizard45

Alright guys here my question.

VTEC vs LS which is better for a turbo and which would produce the most for a street setup? ;)

A GSR motor and a stock LS motor can boost about the same before parts will fail, with proper tuning. The GSR will make more power because the VTEC head flows about a bajillion times better than the LS head. On street setup, built or not, when these two are boosted to the same pressure, the GSR will be better. It's just flat out a better engine, hands down.

it ain't nother better feeling vtec kick in at about 5000 rpm , my turbo starts spooling at around 3800 and has full boost at 4800 then 5000 vtec kiicks in and it throws me in my seat

If you have a deep pocket then you should ofcourse choose a GS-R engine
because it will produce more power but more wear... but like you said is for street the i recomend you to use a LS engine.
The LS Engine has a higher compresion ratio meaning it has more torque than the GS-R. none of these blocks are meant for turbos but the LS will last longer because of the VTEC the GS-R engine will wear faster..
but if money is not a problem the why not build both (LSVTEC) or a (B20VTEC) turbo....but only if money is not a problem because the LSVTEC and the B20VTEC will tremendously wear around 20,000 miles of harsh use

ight sonic, your wrong LS has LOWER compression and the gsr and ls have the same amount of torque (give or take 1 lb).

I'd also reccomend the LS for a street setup on a budget. If you have a little more money then throw it at the GSR. If you really got money than build a LSvtec turbo. You are also wrong about the ls/b20/vtec being unreliable, sure it's unreliable if it isn't built right just like any other engine.

gsr seems pretty cool for the street. throw a turbo kit on there, and with tuning you will get a nice response, but if you have money issues then i'd go for the ls, stock compression is low enough to boost it almost instantly. and you will see nice numbers in both hp and lb-ft. 10 pounds of boost and yo'd look at about 230-250 to the ground. just whatever you wanna do man...gsr is nice though...vtec head already...hmmm??

brett

whats the big problem with vtec and turbo? something to do with the extra fuel the ecu sends and some shit....i forget

anyone care to explain?

i dont really know if vtec is on the exaust side, so if it isnt then forget what i say, but it could be during high rpm on the turbocharged vtec the exaust valve would would be able to open longer, thus allowing more exaust gas to be evacuated, and not sacrifice needed power in the low-end. many people say a turboed vtec is no better than a turboed ls because the air is forced, but fail to realize the potential of variable valve timing on the exhaust side.

gsr will make more power than a ls with the same set-up. Ls can boost more because of the lower compression, if you have money stick with vtec.

For those of you who don't know who CheeseFrog is, he is using an Ls turbo set up in his hatch. I believe he is boostin 18-20lbs and although he has no VTEC, his shit is not something to be messed with.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Nov 27 2003, 05:03 PM
For those of you who don't know who CheeseFrog is, he is using an Ls turbo set up in his hatch. I believe he is boostin 18-20lbs and although he has no VTEC, his shit is not something to be messed with.

nething with 20lbs of boost shouldnt be messed with....i regret puttin high compr. pistons in..i want boost :(

nething with 20lbs of boost shouldnt be messed with....i regret puttin high compr. pistons in..i want boost

Exactly why I left stock pistons...for now. VTEC is overratted when it comes to boost, just my .02

LS + BOOST = GOOD
VTEC + BOOST = BEST
LSVTEC (CRVTEC) + BOOST = GOOD... i have no evidence to substaniate this but if you think about it an LS has more torque than a B16, but cant rev as high and has no VTEC, the same for the CRV motor. SO you add these together and you trhrow in some boost and low compression you got something great....

If Im wrong, please tell me I dont want to be misleading myself.

LS/VTEC/TURBO , I built the motor knowing all the ins & outs of its
backdrows, I recommend sleeving the block , I used Darton , Ive
only got 4000 miles on the new built and its kickin ass ....

the ls has less hp than the gsr, yeah.
but the ls has more torque.
the gsr is rated to have 1 more ftlb. than the ls everywhere i have read, but the ls makes it's torque way lower in the rpm range.
you can boost an ls for about the price you spend on a gsr engine alone.

Back