Vtech Not Working Right

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My VTECH doesn't feel like it it working right. When I hit 5200 it feels like it bogs down. and thats it. Sounds like the VTECH cut in but sure as hell doesn't feel like it. Every once and a while when it is around 6800-7200 it picks up for a second. what could it be. what can I check :blink:

Check your oil level, sometimes they dont work rite when you are low on oil. Thats all i can think of.

try charging the battery

s3de9097d65fc3.jpg

Does your valve cover happen to be shaped conspicuously like a mobile phone? If so, whoever did your swap may have duped you into thinking he installed an engine, when in fact he dropped a phone into your engine bay.

-like someone already said, check the oil level.

-what kind of oil are you using? synthetic or non-synthetic? i've read somewhere that sometimes synthetic doesn't allow the vtec to function properly.(not sure about this statement cuz i've never tested that theory, it's something i read).

-take the vtec solenoid apart and check the screen to make sure it's not clogged. this is something that happens and most people can't figure out what the problem is so they replace the entire solenoid.

-what motor are you running(D16Z6, B16A3, B18C1, B16A, H22A, etc...)?
-what car(year and model)?
-what ecu(P28, P30, P72, etc...)?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 20 2003, 12:20 PM
Does your valve cover happen to be shaped conspicuously like a mobile phone? If so, whoever did your swap may have duped you into thinking he installed an engine, when in fact he dropped a phone into your engine bay.

s3e49d213a5764.jpg

try the stuff i listed and if it doesn't work see if anyone you know has a ecu you can borrow and test. try a PR3 ecu as well if it's available.

Originally posted by rsaeini@May 20 2003, 11:55 AM

-take the vtec solenoid apart and check the screen to make sure it's not clogged. this is something that happens and most people can't figure out what the problem is so they replace the entire solenoid.

how do you exactly do this because my car doesn't really at all make a difference when the solenoid wires are plugged in or not, so I know it isn't working, but yeah how do you take it apart, and where is the screen located? like a simple one bolt on top answer will do me good, I am just n00b to solenoids.

Originally posted by Afipunk21+May 20 2003, 04:14 PM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@May 20 2003, 12:20 PM

s3e49d213a5764.jpg

that has to be the funniest shit i have seen in a long time. :worthy: Man im going to have to make a poster out of that and put some kind of funny quote. any suggestions???? :lol:

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra+May 20 2003, 02:55 PM-->
@May 20 2003, 11:55 AM

how do you exactly do this because my car doesn't really at all make a difference when the solenoid wires are plugged in or not, so I know it isn't working, but yeah how do you take it apart, and where is the screen located? like a simple one bolt on top answer will do me good, I am just n00b to solenoids.

i couldn't tell you right off the top of my head cuz i've never done it before but i've read about it in the Haynes manual i got at home. i know it outlines it in pretty good detail and it even has pics. it goes to say that if the vtec isn't kicking the way it should and you're not getting a check engine light that's one thing you may want to look at. if you have a manual handy you can take a look at it.

there are 3 bolts that hold the ViTHECHK solenoid on.. take it off. then it will be easy to do from there... you can see the screen once its off

You may want to either stick a rag under the solenoid or jack the car up from the passenger side to staunch the oil flow from the solenoid oil passage.

Back