wait for vista, or buy now?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If you don't mind the extra money, I have always had the best luck with Intel boards. And it looks like it does all the things that you want, go for the BOXD975XBXLKR.

and intel is the only board that allows the chip to control the fan speeds. cool feature, but still a little buggy from what i hear. I havent gotten to use the intel board yet (i just built the computer, someone else did all the installs and shit), just the dfi (friend) and ASUS (brother). Both performed very well (as the reviews on toms hardware, bit-tech, and AnAndTech).

The box with that intel board in it (just a mid range db server) hasnt been launched yet. Ill let you know if i see it alerting for anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
database server?

oh boy.

if you're app is going to be doing anything serious, you're in for a world of shit trying to run off a "desktop" "server".

hell, the server than runs hondaswap is in a 4u rack.... and our site is hardly anything to brag about in terms of database useage.

its a colo-dev server. their app server (live traffic) is WELL OVER a $30,000 server (Dell 2950 of some sort...i saw the order come in for it and i nearly shat myself). We made this so they can test before going live. Lets just say this customer is not lacking for cash, they wanted a quick solution and they provided ANOTHER copy of VMware for this test. Those things are easily 5k a pop...so yeah...no biggie. :ph34r:

I really hope our admins know enough not to put a box like that on an even decently trafficked server.

Last edited:
For that kind of cash they could be into a POWER based IBM box running Linux. That would have been a more stable hardware solution than anything that Dell has to offer.

cept that server is here and we have a contract with dell and VMware is far superior than anything that RedHat or SuSE has to offer.

We arent talking straight "Hey im gonna put a forum on the internet and see what happends" were talking stuff like the american airlines ticket tracking system (note that AA is not one of our customers) that is used by hundreds of employees and HAS TO BE ONLINE AT ALL TIMES.

If the companies we were working for had low traffic and didnt need the power that VMware and the servers have, then yeah, id understand what your talking about.

Do some research on VMware...you can run it under windows or linux and its got a bazillion features that neither offer that are geared for the high end corporate user.

I am not disagreeing with you about using IBM. But we have our hands tied for the next 2 years, and we get a pretty good deal because of the volume we request daily. I dont think ive gone a day in 2 months without seeing a dell box the moment i walk through the door.

Last edited:
Dell is a crazy company. Ever since AMD made a contract with them, all other vendors are drying up in AMD inventory.

Id buy a Dell if it was the right price because sometimes they offer crazy discounts.. But if i had to pay retail, fuck that.

Anyway, the DFI boards are weird. With the Nforce it hated the Corsairs and loved OCZ. With the new Intel boards, it hates OCZ and loves Corsair. However, the thing that remains constant is a huge requirement for a power supply. 480 Watt is a lot of power needed to just run a fucking single core low voltage AMD 3000+. THe thing I like about DFI though is that the customer support is fucking great and the forum is really lively with moderators helping you out all the time. SOme companies sit on their fingers and pick their dried feces but DFI comes through with new BIOS or fixes with issues that indefinately arise.

But id still take ASUS now because I've built 3 systems with ASUS and their the easiest no hassle boards there is. The customer service is great too. I had a chipset fan die on my 3 yr old board and way out of warranty, but I called and got shipped a replacement at no charge and no questions asked.

cept that server is here and we have a contract with dell and VMware is far superior than anything that RedHat or SuSE has to offer.

We arent talking straight "Hey im gonna put a forum on the internet and see what happends" were talking stuff like the american airlines ticket tracking system (note that AA is not one of our customers) that is used by hundreds of employees and HAS TO BE ONLINE AT ALL TIMES.

If the companies we were working for had low traffic and didnt need the power that VMware and the servers have, then yeah, id understand what your talking about.

Do some research on VMware...you can run it under windows or linux and its got a bazillion features that neither offer that are geared for the high end corporate user.

I am not disagreeing with you about using IBM. But we have our hands tied for the next 2 years, and we get a pretty good deal because of the volume we request daily. I dont think ive gone a day in 2 months without seeing a dell box the moment i walk through the door.

XEN, way cooler than VMWare especially on POWER. And as for uptime, IBM hardware has that category hands down. Virtualization works much better on POWER than on x86, have a look around the net and see. The only reason to run x86 for that kind of money is that you need to run Windows, but why run a Windows based server unless your customer said you have too.

Believe me i understand what your saying, and you can run dual environments with virtual environments along with processor division (i dont think thats the term, but thats what the feature does).

so....welllll,

Im this bored.

v3sw7+9Chw6ln3pr7Ock4ma9w3TXm3l7GDF i7Ce6+8t4MNb8Oen6g6RAOa26p6

v3
Version 3

sw
Begin Software
7+9
Live to Hack, Hack to Live!
I want to be Bill Joy, Eric Raymond or JWZ.
C
C++

hw
Begin Hardware
I've toyed with a few hardware drawings, but never made my own hardware. I know PC hardware like the back of my hand.

ln
Begin Language Hacking
I hate people who don't follow the basic rules of $LANG, which I strive to speak properly.

pr
Begin Programming
I do a lot of programming, and spend a lot of time in my IDE of
choice.
O
I do object oriented programming

ck
Begin Cracking
White Hat - I study exploits because I'm the one who has to patch the systems when they get released. I subscribe to CERT.

ma
Begin Mathematics
Advanced Calc/Theory

u
UNIX SECTION SKIPPED :p

w
Begin Windows
I keep Windows on my hard drive only to test new hardware I buy. Linux rulez!
TX
Windows 2000 & XP are my preferred Microsoft environments.

m
Begin Mac Section
I hate it. The GUI takes up half my RAM and it still locks up on me even though it's UNIX based!

l
Begin Linux section
I'm a power user. I've developed my own mini-distribution on a whim. I can't count how many kernels I've compiled.
Gentoo, Debian and Linux from Scratch are my preferred environments.

i
IDE/Text Editor environments
7C
I prefer to use code warrior and Eclipse

e
Begin Education
6+8
I have a bachelor's degree and I want a PhD

t
Begin TV Section
I watch TV once in awhile. There's just not much good on anymore.
MN
I watch Monty Python and Star Trek: TNG

b
Begin Books Section
I'm kind of a bookworm, I try to read a book a week/month.
O
My Favorite books are O'rielly technical books

en
Begin Encryption Section
I can crack Enigma in my head.

g
Begin Gaming Section
I play often, I have a console or two and/or quite a few PC games.
RAO
I like graphical RPGs, Action Adventures, and Shooters

a
Begin Age Section
I am 26 years old

s
Sex Section Skipped

r
Religon Section Skipped

p
Begin Politics Section
Civil unions are ok by me, and why is college so expensive?

Last edited:
lol, my IDE of choice isn't correct, I use them at level ~7 and I prefer Eclipse.

fixed the ide thing. i dont know why i thought it said 7E the first time around.

Yeah, Im more of a hardware hag, mostly ethusiast stuff. Dont really bother looking at server, software or vm (at the moment anyway) stuff.

Waiting to get a thermalright so I can push my chip to at least 2.6ghz. =)

holy shit, i like the 680i. im glad im getting my new system after christmas...this might be the one for me.

Back