watercooled? overclocked? linux? server? folder? what?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ive made some changes over the past month.

-picked up an antec 650W PSU. much more amps on the 12v rails and 8 pin CPU power
-picked up an 8800GT, paired it with an AC accelero S1 cooler and fan
-got some new fans for the rad. scithe ultra kaze 120x38mm ~80CFM
-got some lian li fan cages for the optical bays
-picked up an external enclosure for the DVD drive. eSATA interface for speed :)
-put the door back on the front of the case

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

and heres the whole setup.

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try to get some pics next week if I can get all of mine put back together. I still have a complete car to rebuild, house to clean (looks like a tornado went through) and video to process...

Yours looks really nice! I will say that there's absolutely no need for a 650W power supply with what you're running though.

well my quad at 3.8GHz sucks up some juice. and i wanted some room in case i go to a larger vid card in the future. total system load is between 4-500W. plus the new PSU has many more connectors so i can hook everything up without the need for any adapters (sans the extension for the cpu plug, thy never make those long enough for bottom mount PSUs). so i still have head room for expansion, like maybe a second vid card for folding :). oh and i get PSU's stupid cheap from work lol.

Last edited:
Stupid cheap works. :D

My system only tops out at 300W from the wall at full tilt! What the hell are you running?!

:D Finally got rid of the Cooler Master huh? True, he doesnt need 650, but its always nice to have some head room and not having your power supply running more than 80% load.

My specs are half of his and I have a 650 Trio as well. For the money, the Earthwatts are really hard to beat, especially when you get rebates or bundles.

And I glad someone has much wiring techniques as I do :p.

:shrug2:

I'm running at about 50% of max on the power supply. I agree with you though- no need to run the limit, but if it's rated for that power, it should deliver it without any problems.

I love my Antec. It's not an Earthwatts (had it longer than Earthwatts has existed), but it is one of the newer TruePower power supplies. It's VERY stable.

wiring techniques?

but yea i think i paid like 75 for the PSU. couldnt pass up a much better PSU.

like hiding wires and making it look clean. i just connect shit and shove it where i can. i wish i had the know how and time to do it.

something like this:
http://infopccenter.com/images/AutresImages/HARDWARE/large_hp_blackbird_2.jpg

yeah ive always used antec. but i hear a few years ago they freaking sucked until they switched to seasonic and fsp oem supplies. i think my next one is going to be a corsair unit. universally good reviews and made my seasonic.

corsair is the shit. wish we sold it at BB.

i try my best to hide wires, but im not gonna go all out and cut the MB tray or sleeve all the wires. really the only thing i wish my PSU had was modular. i hate having a bundle of unused wires.

really the only thing i wish my PSU had was modular. i hate having a bundle of unused wires.

-QFT

If I remember correctly, BB sells BFG units. Ive read they're not half bad.

But yeah, power tools and I dont match. Usually the scene ends up like leather face was there. But ive got a shitty case to practice on so eventually ill get ready to cut up my CM690 and do a better wiring job.

wiring techniques?

but yea i think i paid like 75 for the PSU. couldnt pass up a much better PSU.

Wow. That's a hell of a deal! I paid $100 for my 550 TruePower... but that was a while ago.

like hiding wires and making it look clean. i just connect shit and shove it where i can. i wish i had the know how and time to do it.

Ah, that's pretty nice. I've seen WAY better though. Let me see if I can find it. I want to build one like I saw at a CPL tournament long time ago- a case with NO visible wires. It was pretty sweet. Maybe I'll try it out on some old hardware that I'll turn into a cheapo server, or do it to whatever I build into a hackint0sh.

corsair is the shit. wish we sold it at BB.

i try my best to hide wires, but im not gonna go all out and cut the MB tray or sleeve all the wires. really the only thing i wish my PSU had was modular. i hate having a bundle of unused wires.

I just zip tie them all up and bundle them away behind the PSU. Either that or open up the PSU so I can completely hide them. I've probably done more cutting on PSUs than I've done on computer cases. ;)

-QFT

If I remember correctly, BB sells BFG units. Ive read they're not half bad.

But yeah, power tools and I dont match. Usually the scene ends up like leather face was there. But ive got a shitty case to practice on so eventually ill get ready to cut up my CM690 and do a better wiring job.

Who needs power tools?

full_tower_cuts_01.jpg

full_tower_cuts_10.jpg

full_tower_cuts_18.jpg

full_tower_cuts_21.jpg

That was my last air-cooled setup. Over 8 years ago... Much fun. ;)

your first problem is that you are using fans smaller than 120mm :)

and endless, yea, they sell BFG, Antec, Dynex and Rockefish. Dynex and RF are Best Buy brands. the dynex unit is OK for stock systems, and the RF is a very good unit, but its not a 700W as advertised. its closer to the power of a 550. thats why i picked the antec 650 over the RF 700, looking at the specs it had way more amps on the rails, which is what matters at the end of the day. but the RF is a very nice unit. its made by channel well and its modular too, which is nice.

hahaha.. remember 8 yrs ago, 120mm fans were expensive and hard to come by. but 23, damn thats like a wind tunnel.

btw mike, is your entire case water cooled? like hard drives as well? i mean, if its just the cpu,gpu and chipset(s) youd still need good airflow to the hard drives.

and i wouldnt buy anything that is BB branded expect the rocketfish tower. its an actual rebadged lian li and ive been looking for one forever.

oh yeah, antec ea650 for 65 plus free shipping :cool:
Newegg.com - Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TÜV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Power Supplies

your first problem is that you are using fans smaller than 120mm :)

True. 120mm fans are nothing now. New case has 140s all around. :D

That case was built before 120mm fans were common- everyone used 80s and 92s.

hahaha.. remember 8 yrs ago, 120mm fans were expensive and hard to come by. but 23, damn thats like a wind tunnel.

btw mike, is your entire case water cooled? like hard drives as well? i mean, if its just the cpu,gpu and chipset(s) youd still need good airflow to the hard drives.

Yeah, I could hear it downstairs in my 2 story condo in school... with my bedroom door shut. LOUD.

The only thing I really have water cooled right now in the main tower is the CPU. The amount of gains that I get from water cooling the video cards just aren't worth it anymore- you have to get crazy custom water blocks that cost a zillion bucks. For that money, I'd rather buy another card to go SLI and get significantly more performance than the water would give me. The hard drives don't benefit from it except for lifetime, and air cooled they're just fine. Current model hard drives barely even get warm anyway. The chipsets are fine without water too.

I didn't start out water cooling for noise- I did it for performance. I had reached the limit for air cooling. Now I kind of halfway do it for noise and still do it mostly for performance. It's a mix- I pick and choose depending on the performance benefit for each setup. In my computer room, a little wind noise is perfectly fine, plus it costs way too damn much to water cool all the components. In my living room, the HTPC is pretty much completely watercooled, but it's much simpler in setup, and noise matters more... plus the case is too small to give really good cooling with heat sinks and fans. Yeah- imagine that- water cooling to save space in a SMALLER case. I'll get pics of that later too.

One other consideration is water heat soak. If I don't stand to gain much performance from water cooling other high heat components in the system, there's no reason to heat soak my water any more. If I isolate just the CPU with the water system, I have that much more heat capacity to soak up more and overclock higher. Ideally, you'd have a separate water loop for every heat source- but that's REALLY complex in something the size of a computer case. Why heat up the water with your video card just to pass higher than room temperature water over your CPU right?

My future setup (when I have more $$$) will be this- phase change cooling (refrigeration) on the CPU for sub-zero cooling, then water cooling on all the rest of the components with the video card(s) isolated in a separate loop from the power supply, drives and chipsets.

wouldnt that be more of a reason to good flow int he case if everything else is aircooled? i mean it really depends on your set up, but my 8800gts dumps a shit load of heat and my northbridge gets pretty warm. i guess for the average computer that doesnt overclock, a watercooled cpu and 1 exhaust fan would be sufficient.

i dont even think they have a commerical phase change unit? the last one i saw was an OCZ one tahts been in R&D for years and just starting to see it. but yeah, now adays, some of the best aircoolers match the performance of pre-compiled h20 kits. but i think a 3x120mm raditor should be more than enough to hand a modern gpu, cpu and chipset? and i thought for the loops it runs through the cpu first than gpu then chipset since thats the order of importance i would say. but seriously, video card makers need to fucking keep that shit in check. 1kwatt power supplies just to run their stuff.. MADNESS.

i think ill be moving to h20 once i get a quad as well or by that time maybe even octa :p.

Oh, I still have really good airflow through the case. I still have 5x 80mm fans pushing/pulling through the front and rear of my current Koolance case, plus 3x 80mm fans on top for the radiator. Again, an older case from before 120mm fans got popular. The new case has 6x 140mm fans (I think), and it will still be water cooled.

There are a number of commercial phase change coolers available. Vapochill is one of the original ones, and I think Asetek and Swiftech have some too. I can't remember. I'm not too worried though- I can fabricate one myself too.

And you're right- some of the best air coolers do match the pre-fab water setups, but they're still really expensive and quite noisy. I already have most of the water components, plus I've been upgrading bit by bit over the years, so I just like staying with it. The older pieces trickle down from my main system to the other system. The HTPC has a full water setup, and the Home Server is getting one put in as soon as I'm done reconfiguring it too.

A 3x 120 radiator is enough to handle all that heat, but you're still only going to cool down to whatever temperature your water is when it passes over the heat source. I don't have a radiator that big anyway, but I will still have the cooling capacity to do it if I wanted- but I'd still rather buy another 8800GTS for $150 and get a HUGE 50-80% performance increase rather than just 10-15% from a $100 water block that I won't be able to resell when I get rid of the video card. It just doesn't make financial sense to water cool the video card.

its showing 70 now, but whatever. at least i didnt have to wait :) good luck finding a RF case. they were on clearance a year ago. i bought mine a couple months ago and it was the last one in my district. but depending on your area you may be able to find one. i see people say they find them every now and then. best bet would be ebay or something.

but yea, ive thought about adding my vid card to the loop, but i think im gonna leave it. with this cooler and fan it doesnt even get over 50C so theres no need lol. ill leave the 3x120mm rad for the CPU alone. everything else is fine on air cooling.

What's showing 70?

Totally agree with you on the video card. There are just WAY too many proprietary setups- you can use one water block on a ton of different CPUs, but you can't use the same water block on a ton of video cards. It just doesn't work, especially with the complicated setups the top end video cards ship with these days.

Plus they really just don't need it. :)

oh i was saying that the ea650 endless showed on newegg was for 70. he said 65.

Back