What car to choose?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
top gear also did a segment on the new S4 vs the evo and the STi. Needless to say, it won the practical award.

http://www.racingvideoz.com/audi-videos/ev...top-gear-video/

Wow that makes me feel good about my recent evo IX MR purchase

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
i'd get the 2000 S4.. well because its an S4

Werd, with an MTM chip your mid 13's

OR get a used evo that runs mid 13's stock

I think you'd have to be some kind of idiot to buy a used evo. That thing would have been beat to hell and back; kind of the same as buying a rental car.

Quoted post[/post]]
I think you'd have to be some kind of idiot to buy a used evo. That thing would have been beat to hell and back; kind of the same as buying a rental car.

Wow man your right what the hell was I thinking cause no one would ever beat on an Audi or any other car for that matter. :tisk:

Most evo owners I know take better care of thier cars than most. But this Is just my opinion which was apparently wrong. so have fun with what ever car you choose.

People are beating the ever living piss out of cars like never before. You can't find a WRX that hasn't been thrashed through the woods, and the same goes for the EVO. Look on this board - there are rusted, primered and HAMMERED Civics being sold for a premium.

The automotive world is really just losing it's mind more and more everyday

Well...if you had $20Ks to dump on a car...go for that Blue Z I posted...

It's already built to the hilt, and if something breaks...it's not going to kill you to find it or afford it...

clayton, I'm sure he's looking for something newer and practical.

as cool as z-cars are, they're old and impractical.

Yes...I realize that he wants a newer car...at least in the 2000+ era...that's all fine....

Yes...Z's are very impractical...only 2 seats, leg room from hell, and a gas guzzling RWD.

But...

Age and experiance will speak for a moment...

I live in CT, some strict emmissions and inspections, property tax on everything and of course...it's expensive as hell to live here...

But since I bought the my Z, I have noticed a few things.

A. Property tax is greatly lesser. My 1990 Jeep was $90, my 87 CRX was $20, and the 1995 Subaru Legacy was $180....each year. While the Z was the most expencive car I have...it's property tax is less than $9 a year. In this area, anything over 2000, will prolly be in the $500-1000 range...I'm sure has got his property tax on his new WRX, and I bet it took up a decent portion of one of his pay checks.

B. Pre 1975....NO EMISSIONS OR INPECTIONS. enough said. I can slap in any engine, run no muffler, and have as much rust falling off of it as I want. Cops don't pull me over if they hear me coming. If the exhaust is loud or it smokes more than a chimeny...they don't care.

C. Parts and labor to fix is nearly dirt cheap. Blow an engine, find someone with a good engine sitting in his yard, bought for a case of root beer. PARTS ARE DIRT CHEAP. Plus, the aftermarket for these cars are very readily availible. Anything will bolt into or on it, the can be fabbed to have anything you want to be done to a decent 2 seater sports car.

D. The rear hatch can actually haul a lot of stuff...perfect grocery getter....if you like to speed in style.

E. People come up to you everywhere you go, and actually talk to you about their old Z, Everyone has had one or 12 of them. That will never happen while you drive any other car, even a Vette.

F. You can do anything to them without worry-ing about voiding the warrentee.

G. In the era that it was developed, the designer was actually trying to design a car with european looks but Japanese technology to sell in America.

I can go on and on about it...but for the money, that blue Z has everything I would want in a decent sportscar. Granted, it's not family freindly, but I don't know if the original poster is looking for a family car, or something dependable. If the car was rebuilt properly, and has lasted over 25 years, I bet it will last another 10-15 years. My cars don't last, because I beat the crap out of them. But, when I rebuild them, I focus on the weak spots, and build it better if I can. If any car can stand up to my abuse, then it's a good car. So far for my second vote, I would lean towards a Subarun Legacy...the one I have I still haven't had to drop a penney into it for anything but gas, oil, and taxes. :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
the 2000 s4 is the bi-turbo v6 model.

other than the cost to do the work, they are pretty reliable.

some have bad electrical problems... some don't. its luck of the draw.

yo're venturing out of 90's honda's..... and you'll appreciate how much all other cars suck soon enough :)

Know what you're getting into with the car first. Check maintenance records.

My friend sold a beautiful 2000 S4 because it was simply too expensive to maintain and keep on the road. Now keep this in mind, he has 3 other cars that are just as old if not older including a F250 worked over, a jeep, and whatever sedan/coupe he has around at the moment - he goes through a lot of cars. These 3 other cars are cheaper to maintain and keep on the road than the S4 was alone.

Have someone who specializes in Audi's look over the car with a fine tooth comb before you put your money into the car. Its a high performance car and a very, very nice car but with the exotic nature of the car and all the technology amenities comes a price and that price is usually reliability and maintenance costs. As I said, be sure that you're there when the car is looked over and that he really does a thorough check from compression test, to checking the turbos if they're blowing any oil, to rust, to strut wear, to electrical.

granted ive never driven any of the cars youve listed, but after driving the 05 s40 t5 i dont want to :wink:

i <3 volvo

the new platforms started in 04.5 and they are WAY better then the old ones.
might be able to find a used one for 25kish

Back