what did i do

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alaskancodkiller

Been a while since I checked in. Bought a house, sold it, working on a 2nd one. Then i hit a little rough spot. Girlfriend got hurt, and is still in a coma, 26 days now. it sucks but it'll make a nice tattoo!
Ive decided to go into the army. Go be a bullet catcher for a while, the bonus will pay my truck off, and set me up for a better future. at 21 yrs. it's time to do something with life...

how the fuck is going into the army going to help you to a better future??? do you know why they give big bonuses and higher GI bills. because they are dead end ass jobs. do something productive NOT in the ARMY. go air force, at least the navy. get into computers. the air force will treat you way, way, way fucking better. oh god i better stop before i get out of control.

anyways, sorry about the gf. if you are thinking military, ask around. there is a lot of prior service in here. i'm one of them.

Gratz
Gratz
Good luck with that
Sucks to hear
OMFG how the hell did that happen??
Army sucks, go Airforce. Trust me on this. There is a damn good reason the army has to lure you in with mad $$$. USAF will treat you better, put you in better housing, and if you ever have a wife and kids, they wont shove em in a dark closet. Army is bad about that.

being in the army, i agree with the above statements.

please please go airforce. get something in commo. well worth it!

i'll chime in a little on the military issue. THINK ABOUT IT... seriously. think it over, ask around, and whatever the fuck you do, son't buy into the load of bullshit that the recruiters spew from their fuckin mouths. its all bullshit 99.999% of the time.

I'm in the marine corps, only been in for a little over 2 years now, so i don't have as much experience as some others on here, but i know a lot of people too. If i had the chance to go back and do everything over, i wouldn't have went in at this point in my life. i was 19, almost 20, when i went to boot camp. Like everything theres pros and cons to it, but think over even going into the military at all. and don't get bullshitted into thinking taht once you sign the contract to go to boot that you are stuck. you can actually back out all the way up to the day you leave, even when you are in, but its not good to do it once you are in boot.

as far as my opinions on the marine corps, well, good and bad. I went in wanting all the shit they advertise, discipline, being fit, etc, etc. I gotta say i did get all that, but now i see that in the end it wasn't the marine corps that gave me it, it was me, i just needed the push. The marine corps in my opinion, as far as the physical side of the military, is the best, the army is a jokie, seriously. i have a lot of family in the army and i sit and laugh at em.

Lately i have been thinking of going over to the air force once i am out of school though. I have nothing against the air force other than its basically a bunch of scrawny ass nerds:p j/k. When people say that the USAF uses their minds instead of muscles, i agree, and thats why i want to do that now.

Navy, ehh, i am pretty nuetral about them. i would never do it, but at the same time, i have nothing against it.

BTW, sorry about the gf, hope everything gets better

senate_9427 said:
i'll chime in a little on the military issue. THINK ABOUT IT... seriously. think it over, ask around, and whatever the fuck you do, son't buy into the load of bullshit that the recruiters spew from their fuckin mouths. its all bullshit 99.999% of the time.

I'm in the marine corps, only been in for a little over 2 years now, so i don't have as much experience as some others on here, but i know a lot of people too. If i had the chance to go back and do everything over, i wouldn't have went in at this point in my life. i was 19, almost 20, when i went to boot camp. Like everything theres pros and cons to it, but think over even going into the military at all. and don't get bullshitted into thinking taht once you sign the contract to go to boot that you are stuck. you can actually back out all the way up to the day you leave, even when you are in, but its not good to do it once you are in boot.

as far as my opinions on the marine corps, well, good and bad. I went in wanting all the shit they advertise, discipline, being fit, etc, etc. I gotta say i did get all that, but now i see that in the end it wasn't the marine corps that gave me it, it was me, i just needed the push. The marine corps in my opinion, as far as the physical side of the military, is the best, the army is a jokie, seriously. i have a lot of family in the army and i sit and laugh at em.

Lately i have been thinking of going over to the air force once i am out of school though. I have nothing against the air force other than its basically a bunch of scrawny ass nerds:p j/k. When people say that the USAF uses their minds instead of muscles, i agree, and thats why i want to do that now.

Navy, ehh, i am pretty nuetral about them. i would never do it, but at the same time, i have nothing against it.

BTW, sorry about the gf, hope everything gets better

I remember when you were getting ready to leave. I think I even wrote you once while you were in boot camp...

I agree with senate, I was in the Marines too, except if I had it to do over again, I wouldnt change anything except the fact of me getting sick and being sent home. Sp technically, I wasnt in the Marines, I was a recruit for 6 months. I got sick 3 days before graduation, and was sent home 3 months after my Platoon graduated... MRP sucks, being sick sucks, MRP drained everythign from me, it turned me back into a civilian

I knew what I was getting myself into, but I was happy to do it becuase it would be a promised income with benefits and shit. I would have to fuck up pretty badly to get kicked out.

brian11to1 said:
I remember when you were getting ready to leave. I think I even wrote you once while you were in boot camp...

I agree with senate, I was in the Marines too, except if I had it to do over again, I wouldnt change anything except the fact of me getting sick and being sent home. Sp technically, I wasnt in the Marines, I was a recruit for 6 months. I got sick 3 days before graduation, and was sent home 3 months after my Platoon graduated... MRP sucks, being sick sucks, MRP drained everythign from me, it turned me back into a civilian

I knew what I was getting myself into, but I was happy to do it becuase it would be a promised income with benefits and shit. I would have to fuck up pretty badly to get kicked out.

haha, i remember that. you and Russel (allbottledup) wrote. i thought that was cool as hell.
MRP looked shitty, i remember seeing those guys, they looked depressed as hell.
I think i should have waited until after college to do it. there is so much stuff going on in my life right now that its more of a hassle than anything, even though i do like it. I jsut want to finish college right now. I could have been a lot closer to graduating right now if i would have waited, then i could have just went straight in as an officer.

Thats what i am gonna do if i still want to stay in after college, just go officer but in the AF. There's too much bullshit in the Marines, and seriously everything has to be dumbed down for the idiots, i hate that shit. Theres guys in there that are badasses physically, even guys that are pushin 50 that can run a full marathin, do like 40 pullups, and all that, but you ask em a simple common sense question, and they look at you with a blank ass stare. I know all the branches have that somewhat, but form people i have talked to, it seems like either a harder job in the MC, or going to the AF would suit me better. my job now is in supply, and even though its a vital job, its not really mentally challenging at all. I could have got any job with my GT score from my ASVAB, i dont know why i chose that one.

senate_9427 said:
haha, i remember that. you and Russel (allbottledup) wrote. i thought that was cool as hell.
MRP looked shitty, i remember seeing those guys, they looked depressed as hell.
I think i should have waited until after college to do it. there is so much stuff going on in my life right now that its more of a hassle than anything, even though i do like it. I jsut want to finish college right now. I could have been a lot closer to graduating right now if i would have waited, then i could have just went straight in as an officer.

Thats what i am gonna do if i still want to stay in after college, just go officer but in the AF. There's too much bullshit in the Marines, and seriously everything has to be dumbed down for the idiots, i hate that shit. Theres guys in there that are badasses physically, even guys that are pushin 50 that can run a full marathin, do like 40 pullups, and all that, but you ask em a simple common sense question, and they look at you with a blank ass stare. I know all the branches have that somewhat, but form people i have talked to, it seems like either a harder job in the MC, or going to the AF would suit me better. my job now is in supply, and even though its a vital job, its not really mentally challenging at all. I could have got any job with my GT score from my ASVAB, i dont know why i chose that one.
I chose aircraft mechanic 6400 i think...

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into the af too, just kicking around my options right now. Right now the military definately looks to be one the top. I found out that i just have to take care of a couple court charges first.

As far as the gf all I can say is she had an accident, fell on her head, and got induced into a coma. So far it's all real good signs, but still in the hospital. I finally found one that not only put up with me, but enjoys the same things! I'll try to take her out to a fancy dinner, and she just grabs a burger and some beer.

Thanks for the support!!!

Not while she's in, that's just wrong. I'll wait 'till she's out and talk it over with her. I have some current legal issues that have to get figured out before I can go in anyways...
A big part of me wants to go over and kick some butt, hang out of a helicopter with the 50 cal. But on the other hand when I get out this option won't help me...

forget the idea of a gunner in a helicopter....you'll never be the same guy after that. A guy I work with did that, and who knows how many people he shot or killed in the Veit war, but he's completely screwed up in the head. and nowdays the guns fire faster and instant death is already known if you hit somebody...and your life will change after you've killed someone. be it in an act of self defence, or fighting a war over stupid oil, you just don't want the nightmares of what you did to haunt you and your life. There is another guy that works where I work, he was a pilot over in nam, and he did three tours...not just one...but three. Hr got too good at killing poeple, and he was commended on it, so he wanted more....and he did more tours. He has lost count of how many people he's killed, or things he's blown up, and he still shows a stable appearance when you talk to him...but you have to wonder if he's going to flip out on you and end your life over something stupid.

It wasn't the shooting from the helicopter that did it, it was the whole war in Vietnam. One that to this day, we shouldn't have been involved in - sounds all to familiar doesn't it?

alaskancodkiller said:
Not while she's in, that's just wrong. I'll wait 'till she's out and talk it over with her. I have some current legal issues that have to get figured out before I can go in anyways...
A big part of me wants to go over and kick some butt, hang out of a helicopter with the 50 cal. But on the other hand when I get out this option won't help me...

even if you did go in the military, it would take you over a year to get to where you would be able to do that. just with boot camp and training. plus it would take time for your unit to actually be sent over there. you might wait 3 years to go. it MIGHT be over by then. it would be a waste of time if that is really what you wanted to do. because it might not happen at all.

if you really want to go into the military. think about these. these are job listing codes for the air force and the bonuses that go along with them. all the dead end jobs, that are combat are offering the highest bonuses. plus, most people don't even get through the training because they get injured. there is a reason they have high bonuses and mgib money.

http://http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/enlskills/Reenlistments/05_SRB_Listings.xls

Air Force AFSC (Job) Listing -- Enlisted

a bonus is no reason to go in to the military. if you want to get your shit straight and get some discipline. go into the reserves. you get the same school money, the same career training, and the same discipline because you go to boot camp with everybody else. but a recruiter won't tell you this because they have quotas.

basically, if you are set on this, go into the air force reserves in a computer field. and the computer work is in admin, not electrical field. you want to work with them, not repair them. their is a big difference. i wish i would have went that route personally.

Back