What Pistol to buy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow so i went yestetday To Hoffman's only to find out i can't even touch a gun until i get my permit!...I can touch a 50 caliber sniper rifle, live ammo, and any shotgun or rifle i wanted..but i coulnd;t even hold any hand gun. Sucks. O well i guess i will be waiting a month or 2 before i can decide what to get.

I found a gun i like, that i actually use in a game i play, The Five-Seven

FNM Five Seven USG Semi-Auto Pistol in 5.7 cal. single action pistol. No decocking lever. No hammer to cock. Safe to carry with a round in the chamber, ready to fire. The Five Seven includes 3-20-rd mags,Black Polymer Frame,Equipment Rail, Improved Trigr Guard, Ambidextrious saftey,Adjustable 3-Dot Sights,4.82" Bbl,8.2" OAL,1.36 lbs,Hard Case & Cable Lock, improved grip handle, Five Seven is one of the best handguns in the world. MSRP $1120.00.

pix264739140.jpg

pix264739281.jpg

Wow so i went yestetday To Hoffman's only to find out i can't even touch a gun until i get my permit!...I can touch a 50 caliber sniper rifle, live ammo, and any shotgun or rifle i wanted..but i coulnd;t even hold any hand gun. Sucks. O well i guess i will be waiting a month or 2 before i can decide what to get.

I found a gun i like, that i actually use in a game i play, The Five-Seven

FNM Five Seven USG Semi-Auto Pistol in 5.7 cal. single action pistol. No decocking lever. No hammer to cock. Safe to carry with a round in the chamber, ready to fire. The Five Seven includes 3-20-rd mags,Black Polymer Frame,Equipment Rail, Improved Trigr Guard, Ambidextrious saftey,Adjustable 3-Dot Sights,4.82" Bbl,8.2" OAL,1.36 lbs,Hard Case & Cable Lock, improved grip handle, Five Seven is one of the best handguns in the world. MSRP $1120.00.

pix264739140.jpg

pix264739281.jpg

I have been doing some reading on the FN 5.7 and the conclusion that I have come to is that unless I am shooting someone with body armor or in a car, then this pistol is just to much for me to justify owning. The 5.7 is pretty low recoil and such but it is basically a necked down rifle cartridge. Like I said, unless you are using it against an armored target or you want it just for shits and giggles, I would stray away from it for self defense. I would like to see what E's oppinion of the 5.7 are though.

the five seven ranks pretty high on the coolness factor... but its really kinda worthless
its BIG as far as concealed carry goes
the round is very thin... 5.7mm is only .224 caliber, and while it does travel at a stupidly high rate of speed (for a pistol round) it still isnt moving at rifle speeds... meaning its at best only about as effective as a 9mm... but it costs a shit ton more to feed
the AP rounds are not sold to civilians... so body armor and shooting through metal doors and cement walls etc isnt really going to happen
the ps90 is pretty damn sweet though... and owning both would allow you to shoot the same round in 2 platforms
fn_civil_p90.jpg

but it still just doesnt make a lot of sense for anything but "ooooo" factor

do i want one? absolutely
as a first/main gun? fuck no

Last edited:
I never understood the cool factor, when it comes to buying a gun for personal protection. Hopefully no one will ever have to see how cool/uncool it is, but if they happen to do it won't matter. When looking for a gun I have certain criteria that it must meet (usually caliber and barrel length for a pisto) and be comfortable. After finding those criteria in a gun I get the cheapest one. Cause if you use it, dead is dead wether you paid $200 or $1200 for you pistol.

My next gun, eventually, will probably be somewhere in the 45 caliber. Maybe a USP or M1911 (I believe those are both 45s)

I love this 40 cal though, tons of awesome power.

:werd:

i'd stick with a 9mm or a 40.... standard carry size i guess :D

The reality of it is that if you have to use it and take someone's life with it, the best weapon to do it with is one similiar to what cops use/carry.

ie, using an RPG on someone usually doesn't look like self defense :D

valid point... and a very good reason to stay away from anything exotic for carry
especially the 5.7x28 which is already all over the anti's shit sheet as a cop killing armor defeating baby sodomizing super round that is designed to shoot through schools
you shoot someone with something exotic and the shit bag's lawyer (or the shit bag's family's lawyer if you're a good shot ;) ) will paint you to look like a racist blood thirsty whack job killer who used rounds specially designed to be as lethal as possible

and being that you live in a blue state... you dont want to give the jurrors any reason to hate you more than they already will... because you already know the shit bag who tried to rob you at gunpoint was really just a misunderstood kid who was really good at heart and was about to turn his life around before you gunned him down in a blood thirsty rage :rolleyes:

I think i have decided or limited my choices down to the Baby Eagle or if i can find on cheap enough a A Pro Carry Kimber, still sticking with the .45 though or the S&W 4" Tactical.

I'm realy leaning towards the Baby Eagle because i can get one sub $500 Brand spanking new and hear dnothing but good things about it and the Kimbers are about $300-$400 more

I can get the S&W used for about $375

The 5" 1911 is going to be to big. I want to stick in the 3.5" to 4" barrell range and the .40-.45 cal.

I'll tell you what though there are some fantastic firearms our there like the Nighthawk series pistols and Wilson Combats. So pimp but way way way uncessesary for me at this time.

.45ACP is a very solid carry round... a bit on the pricey side for practicing... but not prohibitively so... also very popular and cost effective to reload (if that is something you want to get into)
it gets around the "carry what the cops carry" guide by simply being one of the oldest pistol caliber rounds available with a history dating back to before the first world war

have you looked at all at the Para-Ordinance lineup of guns? they make a lot of high quality moderately priced 1911s
Para USA: High-Quality Handguns
also Sig and Springfield Armory make very nice 1911s that are comparative in price to the Kimbers
Show Catalog Product
Springfield Armory

a nice 1911 is definitely on my short list of future purchases :)

and yeah you're going to find that this gun hobby will quickly grow into somewhat of an addiction :)

:werd:

i'd stick with a 9mm or a 40.... standard carry size i guess :D

The reality of it is that if you have to use it and take someone's life with it, the best weapon to do it with is one similiar to what cops use/carry.

ie, using an RPG on someone usually doesn't look like self defense :D

Exactly. I am a Criminology graduate student and I have good experience with firearms and the law in general. I am agreeing with B in that if you are buying this firearm with the intent to protect yourself/family, buy a caliber that is used by local law enforcement. For instance, our local law enforcement carries 9mm Glocks loaded with 124 Hydra Shok rounds. The only reason I say this is because IF the situation came where you had to protect yourself, you WILL have to also defend yourself in court. Stating you unloaded an entire magazine of 5.7 into the guy won't cut it.

On a side note, forget the crap about "ohh, .45 is better than 9mm or .40 is better than them all....." Look up some ballistic gel impacts and read up on the ballistics offered by new +p+ rounds.

I forgot to mention, practice, practice, practice! if I am armed with a .22 and you have a .45 - if I hit you in the vitals with one good shot and you blast away at me hitting nothing but dirt, I win. Simple. If you are going to carry concealed, practice drawing from a holster.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/docgkr/myhomepage/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

If you have any questions I am more than willing to help.

Last edited:
before you make any decision I would check out the xd Ive gotten alot of people to purchase them by telling them to check them out, I have over 4000 rounds through mine with no problems at all.

Here is a piece to remember about what caliber to carry; A .45 is never smaller than .45

Like E said, the .45 has been around for a hundred or so years. There is a mighty damn good reason for it to have existed that long. Just go down to the range shoot a few guns and go from their. Like I said, this is not going to be one and only gun your going to buy :D

I did some brief research into handguns about a year ago and several police officers recommended the Bersa 380. I held one at a gun shop but did not shoot it. It was very comfortable and rather weighty for its' size. Apparently a lot of cops buy it as a second side-arm and it is relatively reliable. It's really cheap too. I think you can get one brand new for like $300ish. Probably not what you are looking for but I thought I'd share.

I've boiled it down: I'm getting 1 of these three guns...I'm not worried about Ammo cost :) ...like i said my best friend is cop :p

Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 $699
kimber_3300061.gif

Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle .45 $490
06.jpg

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 $750

acf158f.jpg

I've boiled it down: I'm getting 1 of these three guns...I'm not worried about Ammo cost :) ...like i said my best friend is cop :p

Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 $699
kimber_3300061.gif

Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle .45 $490
06.jpg

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 $750

acf158f.jpg

Sounds like it is time to hit the range. The feel of the pistol is what you should base your decision on now. I shot about 300 rounds through my Glock 30 before I actually bought one.

.45ACP is a very solid carry round... a bit on the pricey side for practicing... but not prohibitively so... also very popular and cost effective to reload (if that is something you want to get into)
it gets around the "carry what the cops carry" guide by simply being one of the oldest pistol caliber rounds available with a history dating back to before the first world war

have you looked at all at the Para-Ordinance lineup of guns? they make a lot of high quality moderately priced 1911s
Para USA: High-Quality Handguns
also Sig and Springfield Armory make very nice 1911s that are comparative in price to the Kimbers
Show Catalog Product
Springfield Armory

a nice 1911 is definitely on my short list of future purchases :)

and yeah you're going to find that this gun hobby will quickly grow into somewhat of an addiction :)

I bought my Springfield 1911A1 milspec for $275 at a pawnshop, and sold it for $280...to the same pawnshop a few months later, those guns exploded in value in the last few years. I should have held onto that puppy.

the five seven ranks pretty high on the coolness factor... but its really kinda worthless
its BIG as far as concealed carry goes
the round is very thin... 5.7mm is only .224 caliber, and while it does travel at a stupidly high rate of speed (for a pistol round) it still isnt moving at rifle speeds... meaning its at best only about as effective as a 9mm... but it costs a shit ton more to feed
the AP rounds are not sold to civilians... so body armor and shooting through metal doors and cement walls etc isnt really going to happen
the ps90 is pretty damn sweet though... and owning both would allow you to shoot the same round in 2 platforms
fn_civil_p90.jpg

but it still just doesnt make a lot of sense for anything but "ooooo" factor

do i want one? absolutely
as a first/main gun? fuck no

lol, that round is so quite. I went to a carbine match to run my krinkov, and a guy had one, half the time it wasn't loud enough to start the timer.

Carry pistol? I wouldn't carry anything with an external hammer, and preferably something that is reliable as death and taxes. S&W MP's, Glock 21 or 36, or a good XD. The P99 in .40 is really nice as well. But spending the money on the Kimber or the BDE is kind of useless when you factor in the price. Sure the Kimber looks nice, and the BDE is cool - but in all reality, you need a gun to kill - and do so predictably, safely, and accurately. I don't usually ride the Glock bandwagon, and some of the ergonomics are akward, but I really wouldn't trust anything else.

I don't usually ride the Glock bandwagon, and some of the ergonomics are akward, but I really wouldn't trust anything else.

Nothing at all wrong with being on that bandwagon. I carry my G26 daily.

Back