what valvetrain to use for boosted gsr?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i am going to be building my valvetrain here pretty soon, i burned a valve. so i would like to know what is the best valvetrain to go with and cams for my gsr turbo application. i will be doing pistons and rods shortly after building the head. and i want to make sure i go with the best i can get so i dont have to fool with it again. so if i can get any feedback i would highly appreciate it. my hp goals arent really certain but i want to be well over 250whp. and where is the best plece price vers service i can purchase a valvetrain/ turbo cams package. and i am doing a standalone. thankyou

I wouldn't worry about valevtrain until your going for serious numbers and the stock gsr cams work very well with boost. Get your rods/pistons first.

word. just replace the broken valve and be done with the head. if you want to get serious, spend the G on sleeving the block instead of valvetrain and cams. you can easily make 400whp of a bone stock gsr head.

so you dont even suggest getting bad ass valves to be safer? or even to port and polish the head? i appreciate the replies a lot

after markeft valves will offer no safety. if you're gonna bed a valve, you're gonna bend a valve- i don't care what brand it is. something else caused it to happen in the first place. just use some new oem valuve guides and seals and you're good to go.

P&P is fine, but its a waste of money to gain 3 hp. you have a turbo. use your boost, not your wallet :)

okay, sounds good, i really appreciate the info. my mechanic said if im going to build the bottom end itll do no good if i don build the top end too. realistically hp to the wheels will be 400 for me with pistons rods and standalone.i actually trust you guys more from an experience standpoint.

Originally posted by TurboSnatch@Mar 14 2005, 07:27 PM
my mechanic said if im going to build the bottom end itll do no good if i don build the top end too.
[post=473514]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm not real experienced with engine building and know-how but i think your mechanic is wrong. the gsr head is already very good with flow and such and the main thing that upgrading your valvetrain is good for is preventing valvefloat when turning very high rpm's. a stock gsr head and valvetrain will be good for now unless you plan on turning like 8 grand or above. so therefore, the bottom end is more important especially under boost. i think he just wants you to spend more money.

alright, i appreciate it. so oem gsr valves and seals is what ill do. anything else that you guys would suggest while im down there? retainers, etc...

edit'' btw what are the best piston and rod combination to go with for my 400 hp+ range?

Back