wheel size vs. tire size

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shfaster

sup everyone. so im buying new rims for my 94 civic ex. im buying motegi 15x6.5 wheels(this is the link if you wanna check em out, MY NEW WHEELS ). anyway, i wanna get azeni sports, but all i can find them is in 205, instead of the 195 that would fit better. so, would how would the bigger size affect my cars performance on cornering. am i better off with different tires, or even different wheels. BTW, i can get some potenza so-3's for real cheap. like 200 for a set, and they are 195's. would that be a better way to go. i want something that handles real good on turns, i might be taking my car up to auto-x soon. thanks in advance.

i love having 205 width tires on my 15x6.5's i used to use the azenis in that size as well (azenis 205 is almost a 215 in actuality). i did have to roll my rear fender some to keep them from rubbing, but i would take a 205 over a 195 any day. btw i'm running 205/50/15 khumo mx's and i love them :)

I have heard alot of good things about kuhmo mx's, but they are kinda expensive. Have you ever ran the azeni sports. Im trying to buy tires and stay around 300 bucks. I can get those potenza s03's, but how do they compare with the azenis. I'll prolly set up a poll or something for all the tires i've been looking at.

azenis VS mx
both are better when warm, shitty when cold
azeni's suck in the rain, mx's aren't so bad
azeni's are IMO stickier and have a stiffer sidewall, but heat up fast and can turn greasy on a road course.

If those SO3's your talking abour are only 200 for the set (normally they are double that) I say save your money and get the S03's.

I have had both S03's and Azenies with the SO3's being 195, and the Azenies being 205. Both are great for cornering. They have extremly stiff sidewalls so tire roll over is not an issue. The S03's for autoX are alright, but the major problem with them is they need to be heated up slightly to grip to their fullest potential.

I went to this one autoX last year that was non SCCA, so for runs, you could just run all your runs at the same time, instead of having to wait 45 minutes between each one. The first turn, I came into it a tad too hot, and I slide right through 4 cones. I basicly just pushed like crazy, and didn't turn. Then the next run, where my tires had heated up alot, I took the same corner the same speed, and took the corner perfectly.

The S03's are also great in the rain.

Really, if your comparing azenies at 350 a set (pretty much how much it will cost you in the end after mounting balancing shipping, ect) vs S03's for 200 a set, I say s03's hand downs. The azenies are a little better IMO, but not worth $150

One of the major reasons why I didn't go S03's this time around is they were just to damn expensive.

yea, im going to go with the s03's. I know some guy that selling some 205's, they have around 3-4k on them, but there is normal wear on them(they haven't been ripped on). i found these 195's though, and the guy supposedly only put 50 miles on them before taking them off. so, should i go with 195's or the 205's. thanks

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 26 2004, 04:54 AM
azeni's are IMO stickier and have a stiffer sidewall, but heat up fast and can turn greasy on a road course.
[post=368119]Quoted post[/post]​

keep the tire pressure up and sidwalls are not an issue. 2 weeks ago i was at thunderhill and running ~42psi cold in the tires, never had any sidwall issues at all. i feel the khumos actually stick better than the azenis, maybe because they get so hot on that track?

Kumho MX's get my vote and they are about the same price as the Azenis.

Back