why is my car losing power all the time??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffg989

ok, i've got a stock 93 civic dx, and a few weeks ago my starter went bad so i replaced it, after i put the new one in my car was dead so i jumped it and it was fine no big deal (and i did disconnect the battery while replacing the starter) everything was fine till a few days later my car was dead for no reason so i jumped it and it was fine for a day or two until it was dead agian, then today while i was driving to work my cd player started shutting off and coming back on by itself, then when i left work it was doing it again except this time my speedo kept losing power and i couldn't turn my lights on or anything, and i think my car died a few times but its a stick so it would start back up immediatly, so i shut the cd player completly off and everything was fine after that, my lights and everything worked fine, just with no music for the hour drive

maybe a loose connection or ground. check that, probably a short somewhere that shorts when u start or hit a bump. also check ur alt and make sure its working.

check the positive cable connection at the starter for looseness. also check your terminal connections for looseness. if you've still got a good solid connections, it might just be that your battery is dying.

not true. i ran an alpine 7894 deck with a 700w amp and 2 10' subs. i had the amp gain most the way up and the bass boost as well.

concept amp
rf punch subs
4g wire

i never had any dimming problems in any of the cars this equipment went into.

85 crx dx
89 240sx
92 civic dx
93 mirage es

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough+Oct 23 2003, 01:00 AM-->
white like rice
@Oct 23 2003, 12:44 AM
do ya have a big sterio in your car?if ya do get rid of the amps and subs or invest in a stiffening capacitor :blink:

:werd:

if you hsvesubs you NEED a capacitor.

Yeah thats somewhat true and not! there are to many variables.. having a higher quality amp may not and having good ground may not cause your lights to dim! Having a cheap amp and bad grounds will dim your lights! But like I said to many variables.. that is not always true!

Originally posted by Accordturbo94+Oct 28 2003, 12:42 AM-->
Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Oct 23 2003, 01:00 AM
white like rice
@Oct 23 2003, 12:44 AM
do ya have a big sterio in your car?if ya do get rid of the amps and subs or invest in a stiffening capacitor :blink:

:werd:

if you hsvesubs you NEED a capacitor.

Yeah thats somewhat true and not! there are to many variables.. having a higher quality amp may not and having good ground may not cause your lights to dim! Having a cheap amp and bad grounds will dim your lights! But like I said to many variables.. that is not always true!

I'm not saying that you need it to stop dimming. When you have it turned most of the way up and your car is idleing it put LOADS of strain on your battery as well as your alternator. Causing them to break down.

If he has hs subs blasting all the time, he probably killed a cell in his battery causing it to slowly loose its power when the car is off; and unable to hold a charge when the car is on, putting a load on the alternator.

So if you have this problem, your best bet is to get a capacitor from the begining. Not only will you save your cars electrical system, and components, you will be able to use your amps, Subs, deck, etc. all to their fullest power. Without having to worry about dimming of the SOUND or the Interior lights.

Originally posted by white like rice@Oct 23 2003, 12:44 AM

A stereo would not cause that problem. Its your alternator. I've had this problem before where all my instruments would shut off and crap like radio, interior lights, and so on. Replace the alternator.

:werd: If battery starts and all that then gradually loses power, alternator isnt charging the battery.

You could check if you have a voltmeter, start the car, put the voltmeter on the battery and see if the voltage goes down. If it does, its your alternator.

Guaranteed you need an alternator dude, i had same problem with my 95 hb a few months ago, replace alternator everything should be ok, its probably an intermittent diode problem, Honda's arent known for internal wiring issues

check battery terminals.

check battery for 12.45 volts or above.

Also, Pep Boys checks alternators, bring it in before you replace.

Throwing parts at a car never solves the problem cheaply. Diagnose so it doesn't go wrong again!

-B

It is defenatly a gost!! It happens to 1 in every 200,000 cars! Call the gost busters man!! :D

Back