1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter driving

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by Justin66, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Justin66

Justin66 The Hondaswap Canadian

As this is going to be my first winter in a manual car, and in my lowered prelude. Has anyone had trouble with Preludes in the snow (without snow tires)? I had 2 Daytonas and they were close to the same weight but they were all auto, however sometimes has nasty rear end slide outs. Anything to expect?

2. OGMatt

OGMatt Not a real OG lol

drive in second and pump the brake to stop. counter steer and give a little gas when needed

3. !JDM_EF-9!

!JDM_EF-9! I'm just EF'n..

pics of the lude please..:)

4. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

aren't snow tires on by dec 15th a law in canada?

5. Justin66

So far i think its Quebec and maybe a few more provinces. I think Ontario is next on the board though.

Ill get some better pics eventually but here is a taste. This was last month, there is now a bit of snow on the ground.

And im not asking what to do in a slide im just talking general driving.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

clean lude... i've always likes those in a way

7. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

just drive slow and take it easy. its really not brain surgery driving in inclement weather.

we are preparing for a major snowstorm tonight in the morning.

8. RoughKnight

RoughKnight Christmas Car

Another ontario-ian! sweet

9. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Nice lude.

Best advice is exactly what TurboMirage said, just slow the fuck down. I watch soo many people try to go too fast into a corner that is icy and bounce off curbs, hit telephone poles, electrical boxes, etc. You may be taking a corner at 15mph that is normally somethign you might take at 35, and it'll be too much. A sheet of ice can literally make your car have a mind of its own, ask me how I know :ph34r:

10. Korax

Korax New Member

Really, driving your manual should be easier than an auto in the snow. Also, I don't think I have ever been in a FF honda that wasn't a complete tank in the snow (even with bald Toyos :x). Do be careful of that tail slide though. I my CB7 used to kick out the rear on occasion when braking around a turn at lower speeds. It had a solid rear sway bar on it though.

11. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

the little bit of snow/ice driving that i have done was mostly in a 5 speed fwd honda (DA) and i never had a problem. i was actually impressed by how much traction it had. the manual trans allows you to have more control if anything

12. eastbxc

eastbxc Custom User Title

My 1990 std hatch does really good. It is a lot better than my old cougar that was just awful. Just do like everyone says take it easy. We had a mix of wintery ice/snow this morning and there was to many people just halling ass and sure enough a couple miles later they would be in the ditch.

13. Justin66

As have I. Something about them is just so damn attractive, mostly the side profile. I find it looks the most unique from all other hondas (minus s2k/nsx).

Ya i am gonna have to learn to slow down, not that i speed too much but im used to accelerating quicker than your average granny. The braking seems good and the general turning grip is good so far. My only problem, is taking off. Actually going forward in first i find myself almost always spinning, even when i think ive let out the clutch softly and lightly. I just dont wanna wear out my clutch too much.

I think there is more ice than snow anyway, once the deep fresh snow hits ill know better.

14. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Don't worry about your tires slipping from a dead stop, it's going to happen. Like everyone else has said, just slow down. Even if you have to slow down to a near stop to negotiate a turn it's better than fucking up your car.

15. Justin66

The sad thing is, i learned how to drive in the snow, took my drivers test in the snow, owned 2 cars in the winter and drove cars all winter long before then, for some reason im worried about it now, guess its the car it is so new to me still and the last 3 winters ive put my teg away and used the 06 civic. Guess im just overreacting. This car is just too pretty to mess up lol.

16. |Chaz|

You'll do fine, especially considering you've already got a lot of experience in the snow. The more worried about it you are the better your chances of screwing up are. Just be cautious and aware.

17. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Bog the fuck out of the car from a stop to help prevent wheelspin. The one winter I drove my hatch with the LS swap I was starting in second gear everywhere and not giving it any gas until I bogged it into third. Seriously, try it. It's better than wearing out a set of snows.

18. |Chaz|

I thought he meant starting on a surface as slippery as ice... but yea, what you say is right Matt. So listen to what Matt has to say Justin.

19. caboose

caboose USDM to the bone

tire's are cheaper than clutches. If you have to choose between spinning the clutch or the tires, I'd choose the tires everytime.

20. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

stock clutch is $120 bucks shipped for most hondas. you be cheaping out on tires ?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted