With all the dumb aftermarket support Honda's have

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sounds like a screwy tensioner or something else. Timing belts should last longer than that... unless you've got some serious springs, a multi-disc clutch, 45 pound flywheel and 300+ lbs of torque. Then you'll have to consider a new timing path.

i only popped one on a d16 but only did slight damage, re-timed with a new belt without even pulling the head and it ran...

everything else i replace the timing belt on as soon as i get the motor...

I popped one on a geo metro once.. but nothing really happened, It was just dead until I replaced it.

Never had a problem with a honda timing belt, but I always use OEM belts.

From the F1 Comment: What do THEY run?? I'd think a belt would be MUCH better for rotating mass/reliability in a motor that lives permanently above 10k.

I've always thought about a timing chain setup for the EW series (and B series) engines ever since I broke the timing belt on my Civic. It's still down from that after 2 years of me trying to save some money to get it running again. :cry:

I'd definately be willing to drop a few grand on R&D for it if I had the ability to do so. I've got a spare EW engine to take measurements on too (The one that broke the belt :p ).

I can make the EW4 timing chained - some of my Toyota sprockets fit the EW4. All I would need is the sizable chain, and some minor math to double-check it.

They started going to belts in the V6es. The L-series motors were chained (both the I-4 and I-6), the KA is chained, the V8s are chained, the SR is chained, but I think all V6es starting with the VG30E were belted.

Back