1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow, just wow......

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by jeffie7, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Jury-...tml?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

It's all F-ed up looking, click the link at the top for a cleaner look.

all I have to say is WTF, do they have any way of proving she cost any one of the studios 80K in damages? what if 3 people down loaded the songs? that's like getting slapped with a $100K speeding ticket.

1 person likes this.
  2. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

Damn u find some of the most wired shit to read I love it!

3. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

If you do some more digging around you will see what kinda screwed up shit the RIAA and MPAA do to 'catch' people. Think spyware, bots and back doors. They also high some highly questionable people as freelance investigators.

4. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

@80K a song, who couldn't afford it.

5. Drake

Jamie Thomas is the first person to actually get taken all the way. Everyone else has settled outside of court for a couple hundred up to 2 or 3 grand. They simply have no idea how to save their crumbling business model. Between piracy and the actual producers releasing their own content they are literally shitting bricks.

6. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

The music industry is junk because radio is junk. 99% of the music i listen to isn't played on any radio stations anywhere in the country.

7. Drake

Exactly, finding new music is easy as pie. Myspace sucks but it has given a ton bands a way of getting the word out. Plus most folks out there are so used to listing to shitty quality MP3's that a band cutting their own records is no big deal. Throw last.fm, Pandora and what not and you have no problem finding better music than 90% of the crap on radio.

8. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Truth be told, this is why things have copyrights. It is illegal to take someone's work and give it away to the masses. There are no gray areas. Its just outright illegal. She took a chance, as do many people, and she got burned. Everyone who has ever copied and shared a file has the chance of having their asses sued off by the recording companies. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it makes it "ok".

9. invisibledemon

invisibledemon Bored Moderator VIP

i personally dont see a problem with this.

she had and still has the ability to settle with the companies, they dont expect her to be able to pay that.

like phyre said, they're copyrighted, people should be smart and not upload their music there.

the jury was well within there rights to make that judgement.
    i would have said more. and they were only pursuing 24 songs out of 1700.
    they did her a favor.

her argument was "why would i use the same screen name for that when i use that everywhere else"
    wtf. really? that bitch is stupid, and should stop being a fucking idiot and settle with the companies for what they already offered her.
    shes just being stupid thinking she can just beat the system, already had 2 trials, and lost both, and they're going to appeal?
    bitch is stupid, i am going to say that she should be a proud contender for the darwin award. but, she has four kids, so her genes are already spread in there

10. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

:werd:

I agree that the fines being imposed are fucking ridiculous, but this woman has had multiple opportunities to settle for a few grand (and apparently still has that opportunity) and her stubborn ass isn't taking it. I don't really feel that bad for her...

11. Drake

The problem that most people have is the fact that all of the money goes to the RIAA or MPAA the artist never sees a dime. Plus people see NIN releasing albums for free and dont understand why the RIAA shits a brick when someone downloads an album. Add a dash of Generation Me and here we are!

If they want piracy to stop they need to look at a diffrent buisness model. Who really wants to spend 15 bucks on one album these days? Not to many people. Subscription based services are the future in my opinion. The Zune pass is 15 a month with 10 songs you get to download DRM free per month to load on any device you want even after you cancel your subscription. So either subscription or on demand access is what they are going to need to go to avoid piracy.

12. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

If you guys read the article they say one of the attributing factors to the decline of sales is the (legal)availability of single songs being downloaded. Somehow, it's still all piracy.

13. Drake

Apple has more or less lead the charge on this front. .99 cents for a single song is a lot more appealing to most people because most mainstream artists release an album with one maybe two songs that are actually good.

14. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Itunez is also drm free now.

I bet this "recession" continues to force down the price of online music. People download things via torrent/etc to save money. These songs need to be 50c each to compete with "free" music.

15. Drake

This is why I prefer subscription based personally. It allows me to sample all kinds of music and I dont have to burn money on risky songs. I have never used iTunes so I cannot speak to it all that much, but I like the Zune marketplace. Add the fact that Microsoft is going to continue to merge the Zune and 360 which is a huge plus for me.

16. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

honestly, this is what you get for using kazaa....

settle out of court and be done with it. also, don't share your files. thats where the illegal part comes from. downloading it is legal, giving it away after you download it is the illegal part.

17. Drake

Correct! The making avaliable is what makes the hammer drop.

18. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

*publicly available

I haven't heard of them going after private communities.

19. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

That right there is the fundamental problem. Judges should be keeping their damn noses out of the jury's business. This is exactly the kind of law that a jury is supposed to nullify. Most people nowadays think that the only way to alter the outcome of a law to to change the law. On the contrary, the courts and their juries are designed for changing laws. The jury is designed to be the last bastion of the will of the people. If you can't legislate the problem away, you vote. If you can't vote the problem away, you directly affect the outcome of trials by nullifying the effect of the problematic law. Unfortunately juries are becoming mere extensions of the judiciary. They're (purposely) terrified by judges into merely following the word of the law. But that couldn't be further from the truth... that's the judges job! The role of the jury is to apply moral and social weight to a trial, above and beyond the word of the law.

It doesn't seem like it at first glance, but one of the biggest, most profound and fundamental ways to start changing the country for the better is to get the word out about the true role of the jury and how it was designed to be used.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  20. Drake

From what I remember the first judge told the Jury that making avaliable was without question illegal. Which is what the plantiff was trying to get her hooked for. But that is not the case, and I should have been clearer in my first post mentioning making avaliable. Making avaliable is one thing, making avaliable and someone downloading from you is illegal. Which is why the RIAA pays folks to farm on Kazzaa, Bearshare etc etc. Then through 'other' means they determin the owner of that IP.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted