ZC DOHC into an 89 crx si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VegaS10

Noob's first post, so, try to help out.

Got my rex back in may, and have been really happy with it, but now I'm lookin for more. It's daily driven and I don't take it to the trck. The previous owner did the whole I/H/E thing, and it is a hair faster than other si's I've driven.

I'm looking to do a zc dohc in it just of ease of swap reasons. The B16 would be nice, but from what I've read in the last month (I've been doing alot of reading before I registered) there would be a but more work involved. I'm looking to purchase a engine, tranny, and ecu all at the same time just to be really thorough (sp?).

There are no real performance shops in my area, so, me and a buddy will be doing this ourselves. We're both car stereo installers, so wiring should be easy to handle, and he just put a new engine in his 2000 si.

What my questions are:

Is there anything really odd I should know before I start?

Common problems?

And from what I've read, this is a direct swap, including wiring. Is this correct?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any positive response is really helpful.

oops i misread that...

the zc should be the easiest swap available... but make sure you get a true zc and not a d16a1 twin cam...

There are only a few wires you have to modify to drop the ZC in- the TPS is one of them (reverse wires). I don't remember the rest.

The mounts are the same, the transmission bolts up the same as long as you have the right flywheel size and spline count, even the stock ECU will work decently (I'd find a 90-91 PM6 and chip it to a ZC program). You'll want to port the header to match the slightly offset exhaust ports on the ZC head, but that's not too hard with a die grinder and a cone shaped tip.

I am considering doing a "package swap" where you purchase the tranny, ecu, and engine all at once to avoid all these issues.

The si engine I have now is fine, but the tranny grinds a bit going into third, pretty sure it's the synchronizers.

One other question, where do you reccomend I purchase all this from?

I've seen several folks on Ebay and a few other site, but I'm wondering where y'all get yours from. Any places to avoid?

Thanks again for the input so far...

Originally posted by VegaS10@Dec 30 2004, 08:41 PM
the tranny grinds a bit going into third, pretty sure it's the synchronizers.
[post=439400]Quoted post[/post]​

most likely a bent 2-3 shiftfork. one of the things most commonly misdiagnosed as a synchro. if you do the package deal, try and find out if they will send you the intermediate-shaft also. they are kind of rare and are a must have because there are no other parts that will replace it. then its just 90-91 teg axles and your done besides the minor wire issues.

if you use the zc tranny (whether lsd or not), you need to use 90-93 integra axles as well. also i've been told you need to remove the ring on the inside of the knuckle or you're not gonna roll anywhere.

this link will help you out most likely

TJ'S HONDAS

go to the tech section under 88-91 axles

Nice article there. Seeing pics helps alot. Cool. So, I need to make sure it comes with the zc intermediate shaft when purchasing the engine/tranny combo.

Thanks again for the help.

that or buy custom axles from raxles...they kick ass. i'm sure they can hook up the intermediate shaft without a core (my buddy did it for his 91 hatch), but they might charge an additional 25 or something. give them a call...their website is intentionally not informative b/c they would rather handle customer service questions on the phone since axles on swaps are so custom.

(888) 257-8192 or (800) 257-8192

get it from h motors online but dont buy the zc tranny, just get another si tranny if yours grinds, its a good tranny and you dont neeed different axles for it, but you should prob think about doing a different swap as the dohc zc doesnt have much more power then the motor you already haveeither that or just turbo your si motor if its in good shape

zc tranny only adds problems into an ef chassis....stick with si (better acceleration anyway)

Originally posted by b18c5crxtasy@Jan 7 2005, 12:22 AM
zc tranny only adds problems into an ef chassis....stick with si (better acceleration anyway)
[post=442404]Quoted post[/post]​

What kinds of problems? Everything hooks up the same way except the axles, and all you have to do is use 90-93 Integra axles to get everything fitting properly. You get less torque steer, plus the ZC's 1-5 ratios are spaced almost perfectly even. Its acceleration is just as good as the Si- and is even better once you put the Si's final drive into it.

when i say problems i am referring to the great axle-hunt my buddy had to go on since he didn't have that intermediate shaft. i totally agree about the torque steer, but i'm saying for absolute drop-in-ability, si tranny can't be beat.

Of course- but if you're buying ZC transmissions without the intermediate shaft, you didn't get the whole package. There are a few good online stores that sell the ZC midshaft for only $75 anyway, so they're readily available if you need them. If you got the intermediate shaft with the transmission like you're supposed to, it's a straight drop-in affair.

I called the folks at hmotorsonline, and they answered a few questions for me, and reccomended that I keep the si tranny for ease of install, and said it'd have better aceleration.

But, the more I've read, I've gathered that these are'nt the most reliable engines either.

Opinions on that?

i think they are tanks....i personally know of 2 zc crxs and one zc ef hatch within 2 miles of me and they all beat the piss out of them....if anything the tranny is going to be unreliable in my experience.

Back