$100 Reward for HELP!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GIUJoe

Here is the deal, about five and a half weeks ago I performed a swap on my 97 del sol. I pulled the D16Y7 and replaced it with a B16A2. Engine is in, used harness that came on engine, turned the key, no fuel pump, no spark, and the speedometer jumps to 40. Starter does turn engine over, but has nothing to burn and nothing to ignite it with. I've swapped engine harnesses and mapped the one from my D16Y7 to work correctly with this motor plugged it all up, same problem. I checked the distributor and coil. Same problem. I replaced the main relay. No change. I swapped the P28 back out with the old ECU, no change. I've checked all the fuses and grounds...all good. Still no fuel or spark. And still the same speedometer problem. I'm at my wit's end. All of my local consultants I talk to have begun running out of suggestions. I'll give $100 to the first person who tells me how to fix it. As long as their suggestion makes the car run.

A p28 is an OBD1 ecu, you have an OBD2 car. Have you done all the proper wiring mods or bought an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness? I believe the 97 Del Sol is OBD2.

Ground that goes to the thermostat will stop fuel/spark.
Ground that goes to the transmission will stop the rest... i know you check them all, but make sure you have A ground to the thermostat housing.

Yeah, I actually have an automotive (although his specialty is 1960's - 70's muscle cars) working with me on the project. Both of us removed and re-set the grounds today. No change. We even cleaned them all to make sure there was no corrosion. I've been checking the grounds since day one because I knew that thermostat one would stop fuel/spark. Plus, the power surge to the speedometer seemed like a grounding problem anyway.

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah, I actually have an automotive (although his specialty is 1960's - 70's muscle cars) working with me on the project. Both of us removed and re-set the grounds today. No change. We even cleaned them all to make sure there was no corrosion. I've been checking the grounds since day one because I knew that thermostat one would stop fuel/spark. Plus, the power surge to the speedometer seemed like a grounding problem anyway.
Unplug your VSS (on top of the tranny one bolt) and try to start it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Unplug your VSS (on top of the tranny one bolt) and try to start it.

I'll definately try that one and let you know if it works! Thanks!

btw, one person told me that it could be an ignitor problem and that I could swap it with the one off the D16Y7. Could the ignitor cause all those problems?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
fix it yet
Of course he did, he unplugged the VSS and said "Fuck if i go back to Hondaswap and tell them they will want their money~!~!!!!oiggmq2w@!"... I didn't want his money, i wish we could get an update.. even if it's full of lies. :laugh:

Just wondering, why would unplugging the vss work. Could a bad vss cause those kinds of problems? Its very interesting.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
fix it yet
Of course he did, he unplugged the VSS and said "Fuck if i go back to Hondaswap and tell them they will want their money~!~!!!!oiggmq2w@!"... I didn't want his money, i wish we could get an update.. even if it's full of lies. :laugh:

Just wondering, why would unplugging the vss work. Could a bad vss cause those kinds of problems? Its very interesting.
I thought so too, i got water in my VSS and it shorted my fuel pump and gauges out.
I thought it was my alternator and then my fuel cut off, i unplugged the VSS and it ran fine but had a CEL.
Then i plugged it in and got a CEL. I took it off and poured out all the water and cleaned it up real good and it's been working fine ever since.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
fix it yet

I thought so too, i got water in my VSS and it shorted my fuel pump and gauges out.
I thought it was my alternator and then my fuel cut off, i unplugged the VSS and it ran fine but had a CEL.
Then i plugged it in and got a CEL. I took it off and poured out all the water and cleaned it up real good and it's been working fine ever since.

Werd, never heard of that :mrgreen:

I'l vouch for the VSS thing. Washed the engine bay got a CEL for the VSS when I was driving and everything shut down. Unhooked the connector blew it out and havn't had a problem since.

Quoted post[/post]]
A p28 is an OBD1 ecu, you have an OBD2 car. Have you done all the proper wiring mods or bought an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness? I believe the 97 Del Sol is OBD2.

there is a 97 del sol si with a y8 that has a odb-2a p28 :) i own it :) i know look on the driver side of the y8 intake mani it will read some like this p28w-ao :) need a pic

Back