1969 Honda CT90 Trail - Restoration/Renewal/Repair

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Got some stickers, and found out why it leaks from the stator cover.

IMG_20200625_180814.jpg
MVIMG_20200625_180837.jpg
IMG_20200625_180225.jpg

Blue/green gasket is the one that was listed as compatible, but, it's obviously not. Lol.

I should get the Vermont tags soon, and I'm excited to get it on the road, even though it's slow as all get out. 45mph top speed, downhill, lol.

It does feel like it needs more tweaking and tuning, it seems like it's jetted wrong, and I'm not sure why, I'm using ethanol-free canned gasoline. The only other thing I suspect is that there may be an issue with the points breaker. It gets kinda flat at certain throttle inputs and certain engine speeds, it almost seems like it doesn't want to wind out all the way, but I don't have a tach, so who knows.

Guess I'm gonna learn how to tune a points breaker ignition system.

On Friday evening, I got the old stator cover gasket, smeared some hondabond on it, and slapped it right on the bike. Hopefully it'll hold a while, but I put a couple miles through the woods on her, and it held. No drips.

In case anyone wants any photos, here ya go:
1593374377880.png

1593374405627.png

I still haven't received the Vermont license plate and registration, but I think the plate on there suits it well for now.

It still crackles out at higher RPM. Without a tachometer I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like 6000 to 7000 every gear, in every load situation. I'll swap the spark plug and see if that does anything, if that doesn't, I'll replace the breaker points and see if that does it. I suspect it's going to be one of those two, as they're the only original ignition components remaining.

I'm going to have to either replace the wheels completely, or learn how to de-lace and re-lace them, because it's just not practical to clean them up any more without complete disassembly. New ones are $190 for the pair, and I'm seriously considering going that route.

No more leak, but I swapped the points breaker assembly, re-timed the spark, and it still has the misfire. I'm thinking it's the spark plug, I suppose I'll swap that out at some point.

Full throttle seems to actually hurt performance, best power feels like it's at about 75-80%, so I'll have to play with the needle position when I get a new plug installed.

Yep, swapped the spark plug. Break up is gone, and it runs a lot better overall. It does a lick above 50mph downhill now, and it actually accelerates with some force.

Low range gears are a ton more fun, they actually wind all the way out.

I couldn't do a proper plug chop, because it doesn't have a manual clutch, but I did try as hard as I could, so this should be as close as possible to WOT plug chop.
IMG_20200629_194741.jpg
IMG_20200629_194756.jpg

Put about 45 miles on it while seeing family for the Fourth of July. It was pretty cool to be back on two wheels, especially up in NY State with it's nice little roads for cruising and such.

I had to make a field repair while at an old train line/station turned walking/bike riding trail/path, stupid sheet metal screw a previous owner put into the tail light in lieu of a proper m5 screw came out, and let it dangle on one site.

Two zip ties out of my emergency stash in the bike and a piece of broken headphone cable I found on the ground and it was road-legal again.

1593981995799.png

I'm surprised at how much fun it is even on the roads, it's like a slightly faster scooter, with a nicer ride.

Hi, I've recently acquired a 1966 Honda ct90 and the piston was seized... After many hours of toil, I got it apart and honed the cylinder and put a standard piston/ring kit in. Well, it smoked like a freight train so I got a re-bored jug with piston and rings... Well, it starts with one kick, but still smokes!!!!!
My only thought is that my valve seals are shot, any thoughts???????

Hi, I've recently acquired a 1966 Honda ct90 and the piston was seized... After many hours of toil, I got it apart and honed the cylinder and put a standard piston/ring kit in. Well, it smoked like a freight train so I got a re-bored jug with piston and rings... Well, it starts with one kick, but still smokes!!!!!
My only thought is that my valve seals are shot, any thoughts???????

Are you sure it's a 66?

I'd pull the muffler and see if it's dripping oil out the exhaust port. If it is, then you're probably right, it's probably the valve seals.

1622737879729.png

Back