1987 celica GT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

ANyone evr driven this car? I was just wondering if these are decently fast.

my main reason for this post is to find out if this is a RWD or FWD? i have looked everywhere but cant find it for 87. I know the older models were RWD and the newer ones are FWD so when did the change come in?

before 1984 RWD
84-89 ????????
after 1989 FWD

1971-1985 were RWD years for the Celica. Beyond that became the FWD / AWD platforms.

The 1986-87 Celicas are decent cars, but placement of the coil allows for easy drenching, and thus failure. When driving through a puddle it's important to be ready for a mis-fire.

Those years are known as the "Apology Years" of Celica.

This Celica is a good car, but not a strong favorite among the community.

-> Steve

and NEVER buy an automatic Celica.

I had a 1991 GT 5spd celica, that car was great, i loved it...it had decent power..i was getting 350+ miles to the tank, i had the chrome primax 3 spoke rims on it ...man that ride was sick hehe.....<memories, on the corner of my mind>

Primax 3 points ? Oh my GOD you have NEVER made a sound decision in wheel styling!

Do you wear pastel blazers with the sleeves rolled up too ?

:)

-> Steve

does the auto fail or u just dont like it? cause Im new to toyota and I want to know if they made good shit in the day. My sis's friend has an auto camry and the tranny broke like 3 times. clear it up.

whats with the coil? does this destroy it or makes it shitty for a while? Is there a way to make it so it doesnt happen?

also what engine is in the 87 GT? GT-S?

thanx for all the help!

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 1 2004, 02:48 PM
Primax 3 points ? Oh my GOD you have NEVER made a sound decision in wheel styling!

Do you wear pastel blazers with the sleeves rolled up too ?

:)

-> Steve

LMAO! :lol:

scott is an abercrombie whore

I waer polo too!!!! And Structure...

Dude Chrome Zr1 Rim on the Vette own, the stock rim on 1994 vette are ugly as fuck..

Everyone i knew loved my Celica when i had it in high school..and people i didn;t know either would complement me

Even more so with the Vette, maybe you lack the taste?

Brian your just jealous

:worthy:
20032101170001sc21.gif

[please, my turbo is bigger than your 7psi charger. lol

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jun 1 2004, 04:20 PM
Dude Chrome Zr1 Rim on the Vette own, the stock rim on 1994 vette are ugly as fuck..

maybe you lack the taste?

:concur:

item_2263_1f.jpg

those suck

Corvette2.jpg

those definatly look a hell of a lot better

The light blue metallic color in the first shot is awesome. Kind of like what my 3rd Gen Civic will be painted with when I get done with the CRX. :)

I'm not a fan of any Japanese Automatic transmission.

certain countries seem to do certain things better (or worse) than others. German heating and airconditioning. British electrical systems. American suspension. Japanese automatics.

I have a 4AOD transmission. A transmission that no one on this forum will ever have to worry about, because mine is one of the few still left alive. After LOTS of investment.

It's a wholly unreliable transmission. As far as others, I've always avoided automatics, but I have learned by comparison that their automatics are the weak point in the overall impecable manners of the car.

American cars have bullet-proof, rock crusher automatic transmission builds that last longer than the car.

Finally, I can say that everytime I have compared Japanese autos with manuals and autos, the autos lack the power and get-up. Perhaps it's because few transmissions will take advantage of the usually-higher poewr band of the japanese engine.

about the engines:

Older models use the 18R, 18RC and 20R\22R\22RE. 1.8 liters, then they jump to 2.2 liters (20R) and 2.4 liters (22Rx). The motor in the 4th gen Celica is a 3SGE, which is 1.8 liters and DOHC. TVIS is standard on US models as an emissions gain but also works to enhance the power band to 2500-4500rpm. TVIS is an air-valve that opens at lower RPMs.

Amen dude,

Bah Brian its 8psi!!!!! I figure Does your Turbo give you 55-65 percent of your stock HP....!!!!! Huh Huh Does it!!!

Abercrombie owns joo

scott12.jpg

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jun 1 2004, 05:32 PM
Brian its 8psi!!!!! I figure Does your Turbo give you 55-65 percent of your stock HP....!!!!! Huh Huh Does it!!!

try about 400%, but yeah. :lol:

110 whp to about 450 ish if i want to

My buddy has an 1987 with 160k on it. The manual, it snot bad at all. Kind of torquey for being fwd.

He paid 900 for it out the door. The body has a few dings, but overall, they're decent cars.

And my step mom has a toyota camry, still on her first transmission over 120k and my mom has a mazda mpv, still on her first transmission at 174k.

On the other hand, my friends gf has a 1988 celica auto, and damn 3rd tranny for her.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jun 1 2004, 04:35 PM-->
corvetteguy
@Jun 1 2004, 05:32 PM
Brian its 8psi!!!!! I figure Does your Turbo give you 55-65 percent of your stock HP....!!!!! Huh Huh Does it!!!

try about 400%, but yeah. :lol:

110 whp to about 450 ish if i want to

You'll have to scratch that "8 psi" bit out of there to get that kind of extreme power. And regardless of how the motor is built, daily driven won't be a word to describe it. A motor could run maybe 10-15k miles, if built to the hilt by the best of the best.

-> Steve

And Toyota motors may seem to pull hard, but you may be used to a Honda motor which has, mostly, abysmal off-the-line behaviors. Toyota motors will commonly put you in your seat more than any Honda I've driven.

Take a Toyota motor to 5400 rpm though, and you're just beating your meat. Nothing happens. It makes more noise, but doesn't actually do anything.

-> Steve

The Powerdyne SC is the biggest hunk of junk ! every claim they make is false. IT's noisy, hot as a damned turbo and rattles. It only comes on with a switch mounted under the pedal (Or anywhere, I suppose) but its' only an on / off thing.

Neigh on Powerdyne. I fell into that trap, pulled it out of the box and sent it back. After seeing it on other cars, I haven't heard one good thing about them.

Not to threadjack, you should just know that they not only blow, but suck.

->Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 1 2004, 05:13 PM
American cars have bullet-proof, rock crusher automatic transmission builds that last longer than the car.

I would DEFENLTY disagree with this one. Although really, there is no good auto for japanese cars, there are defently shitty ones for american cars. Yea on the 350's they have great ones, but there are more cars out there then just chevy's. Dodge makes HORRIBLE transmissions. Both the Intepid and the caravan suffered for horrible transmission problems throughout the 80's, 90's and even early 00's (not sure if the problem has been fixed yet). My dad expenanced this problem first hand with his 95 caravan. I said this story millions of times but whatever. at 70k, it blew, we replace. 82k, blows. Replace. At the dealership, on there test drive, it drops another. They throw in a diffrent one. We pick it up. Doesn't even make it home from the dealership, blows. Dealer again replaces. About 10k miles later, it started to slip again. We sold it, bought a Honda Odyesse. Never had any problems.

To generlize that one country makes good things vs another, it just can't be done. Other wise your putting a DSM tranny against a Nissans. Just doesn't compare.

Truly, its GM that builds a bullet proof automatic tranny. Again, not sure about all there cars, but in the performance ones of the past and present, they are great. Grand national, T/A's, corvettes, ect. I just wouldn't be able to stand driving one.

Back