1994 Transmission Compatibility Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JohnnyWadd

My daily driver is a 1994 Accord EX with a VTEC F22B1 engine. A few months ago, I hydro-locked it. So, I'm about to start in on an engine swap. Bought another F22B1 engine from a guy and I'm gonna drop it in sometime in the next few weeks.

My question is this: I have a parts car that's not a VTEC. It's a 1997 (either an LX or a DX... I'm not sure which) with an F22B2 engine.

How can I find out if the transmissions are the same? I don't know where to find the numbers on Honda transmissions.

The parts car has about a buck-fifty on it, while my daily driver has over three hundred on that transmission. I'd like to drop that tranny from the parts car in while I'm at it. Need to find out if they're the same, though...

The trannies are probably a little different in terms of gearing (the base models have slightly longer gears), but it should bolt up just the same.

Allow me to resurrect an older thread... sorry, but I'm just now getting to doing the engine/tranny swap.

So, I've got the engine and transmission out of the car... I'm ready to drop the new ones in place.

I've got one question: is it easier to bolt the transmission to the engine first, then drop the two in at the same time, or should I put the transmission in place, then lower the motor in afterwards?

One more stupid question: is it possible to remove the transmission without removing the CV Axles? I'm wondering if I can pull the front wheel assembly aside at all...

I made my first attempt today at dropping the engine & transmission into the car as one unit. I didn't have much luck, though. So, I have a question...

...am I naive to think that I'll be able to drop the whole thing in with the intake manifold attached? Am I being too greedy, or is it something that can be accomplished?

I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong...

with some help with the maneuvering process, the whole thing should drop in, save for the axles... take the radiator out for more room, give yourself enough slack on the engine hoist to maneuver the engine/trans assemly around. a few decent length prybars go a long way when shoehorning the damn thing in place.

ps dnt forget alternator a/c . also helps if u have spare jack to tilt if needed to bolt motormounts. and yes u have to remove axels.

I did it!! I was able to get the engine and transmission dropped in together this weekend. I used an engine hoist and a come-along, with a little help from a floor jack.

I lowered the combination in with the transmission pointing down. Once I got her lowered in I used a come-along to raise the transmission to level it out and put a floor jack underneath to hold the whole thing in place when I needed to make adjustments.

The best part was that I didn't have to remove the intake or exhaust manifolds. Even better... during this whole process I never had to remove any of my AC components, so I don't even have to recharge the system. I removed the radiator to give myself more room and was able to slide the compressor out of the way.

It was a bitch, but I got it taken care of.

Thanks for the help. The job's not finished yet... I'm sure I'll still need some help between now and then.

Hello,

i have a 2001 honda accord lx . 4cylinder. automatic. Do i have a f23 tranny? can i use a h22 auto tranny instead? is h22 auto tranny better then f23? if not which tranny is compatible and better? Is it worth getting transmission coolers also? THANK YOU! i cannot drive 5 speed.

Back