1997 Civic Ex Motor Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XxxvMEvxxX

I have a stock 1997 Civic Ex...Sedan...yes I know, but we all can deal with what we've got ;)

Regardless, I want to do a motor swap in her, just want a few suggestions. I was leaning towards an h22 out of a prelude, but have heard good things about the b16, b18, and the h22 all. I want to know some suggestions on the simplicity of the individual swaps, getting the most for my money, and of course, speed :)

Thanks.

Well when you say speed what do you mean: fast acceleration or maximum MPH. Also what is your budget and plans. Are you going to do the swap and be done or do you plan on boosting later on? These are all questions that you will have to answer before you can make a decision and before we can really help you.

I want to have about 200-215 horsepower.
Its going to be my DD, but I like to have a good time too ;)
I do plan on boosting at a much later date, but I want power with just motor also.

Then you should probably go with a B18C1 from a GSR it is relatively easy to drop in, gets you 170 hp out of the box, and responds well to boost. An alternate route would be the H22, but the swap is a little more involved as I understand it and doesn't have a great tranny unless you go the H2B route.

b series are the easiest......... if u want to boost then it depsnd on power.....h series can create more power on boosst. but b series can create more HP because of the revs. itls all up to you..........drag, street, or strip?

As far as the h series motor, it isn't going to like anything over 5 lbs of boost, being that it is a closed aluminum block with aluminum internals. I see people boost h series engines a lot and not two weeks later they are rethinking everything when they throw a rod through the block. now as for as the B series motors, they can handle boost a tad bit better, and like everyone else said, they tend to be a bit easier to swap into any civic than the h series. But no matter what I always recommend building any engine up before boosting it in any manner.

Then you should probably go with a B18C1 from a GSR it is relatively easy to drop in, gets you 170 hp out of the box, and responds well to boost. An alternate route would be the H22, but the swap is a little more involved as I understand it and doesn't have a great tranny unless you go the H2B route.

The H22's transmission is perfectly fine for the H22. Yes, it's not geared as short as some of the B-series transmissions, but it doesn't really need to be. The H22 has more torque and makes more down-low power then a B16 does...

b series are the easiest......... if u want to boost then it depsnd on power.....h series can create more power on boosst. but b series can create more HP because of the revs. itls all up to you..........drag, street, or strip?

What are you talking about? This whole response is a confusing mess...

Go with a b18c get type r valve train and tune it, that should get your 200 horsepower easy

Back