1st ls/vtec build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Whats goin on guys, i need some help on my 1st ls vtec. I'm using the stock b18b crank and rods. I wanted to know which piston setup should i use? I want the car to run at high compression. i'm buying them from this website if you want to take a look. www.jhpusa.com

jdm b16a p30 piston (os)
jdm b16a p30 piston (std)
jdm civic r pct piston (os)
jdm civic r pct piston (std)
jdm integra r p73 piston (std)
jdm integra r p73 piston (os)
spoon balanced jdm itr pistons

I'm also going to put a gsr or b16 head. Which one would be better?

Well it's really your choice any of them will be great. If you want I have a set of Civic Type-R pistons (PCT) with rings and everything ready to go onto the LS rods for $250 (shameless plug). Check out this link you will be able to get your CR and that may give you a better idea. Have fun and good luck with your build I love my LS/VTEC setup.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php

Oh I forgot about the second part I like the GSR head but you know either one would be good just depends who you ask on this forum.
Good Luck.

i would use pr3 pistons if you are using it daily...i did and it was a monster.....and the CR they produce is perfect for most stg II cams....

Originally posted by younglord94@Aug 15 2005, 01:52 PM
Whats goin on guys, i need some help on my 1st ls vtec. I'm using the stock b18b crank and rods. I wanted to know which piston setup should i use? I want the car to run at high compression. i'm buying them from this website if you want to take a look. www.jhpusa.com

jdm b16a p30 piston (os)
jdm b16a p30 piston (std)
jdm civic r pct piston (os)
jdm civic r pct piston (std)
jdm integra r p73 piston (std)
jdm integra r p73 piston (os)
spoon balanced jdm itr pistons

I'm also going to put a gsr or b16 head. Which one would be better?
[post=540301]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks guys for the info. Does anyone have any other opinions?

GSR or SiR head?

Doesn't matter. Same shit (well not really), both will flow equally, but the B16 head will most definately be cheaper. Go for the B16.

If you do end up getting the GSR head, throw away the Intake manifold because it's a piece of shit. Go for a SkunkII or similar unit.

And I'd also say to go with the P30's. Good for a High Comp DD.

why not just slap a stock b16 head on a stock ls and blow it. that will give you time to mingle over your pistons. It will also give you a good idea of what this motor is going to be like. I have one but its sitting on a engine stand....

thats what i have now in my lsv....stock pr4 pistons.....and the difference is like night and day.....stick with the pr3s' or the p30s'

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 15 2005, 03:23 PM
GSR or SiR head?

Doesn't matter.  Same shit (well not really), both will flow equally, but the B16 head will most definately be cheaper.  Go for the B16. 

If you do end up getting the GSR head, throw away the Intake manifold because it's a piece of shit.  Go for a SkunkII or similar unit.

And I'd also say to go with the P30's.  Good for a High Comp DD.
[post=540379]Quoted post[/post]​

god damnit im so sick of people saying this because thats what their home boy tells them. that manifold can easily be modded or just get the right fucking ecu. the gsr head will also yield higher compression.

for the record, erick aguliar went 9's all motor on a stock gsr intake manifold....

anyway, i suggest the jdm p30 (not the usdm ones).

they will bolt right on to the ls rods, and will give you about 11:1 compression.

CTR (pct) are too big. that c-speed calculator is wrong for those. it doesn't take into consideration that the pct's sit ABOVE the flush line of the deck height.

I used all forged parts in my lsvtec, but I suggest you use these if you are on a budget:

JDM p30 pistons
LS rods
ARP Rod Bolts
Oem bearings
Vtec oil pump/Water pump (GSR or ITR)
ARP headstuds
Golden Eagle LS VTEC conversion
A popular dual valve spring /retainer combo
and popular stage 2 cams

The GSR will give a higer compression as stated above but the b16 heads are everywhere. I got my B16 head in the Bx for 200$ with ITR cams and ITR intake manifold, complete with all sensors, TB, and ITR cams, and valve cover - GSR heads I saw were 550$ plus.

Thanks for the info guys. I wanted to buy some aftermarket rods to connect to the p30 pistons. Anyone know where i can get some for a good price?

Back