20 ft container from japan...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Caught this late. The rip off factor is one of the first good points. You need to use a broker no matter what. I had a shop and had the bank roll to do a full 40 ft. container and set down to work with a month of phone calls to Japan. What I discovered in the end is this:

The motors are dirt cheap but the fun stops there. By the time you factor in the container, the broker, ground shipping for 40 motors, taxes, the average gain was about 200.00 off per swap-this was without a plane ticket to Japan because of the broker. Even, less for a 20'. You have to factor wharehousing everything even if for just a week and paying to have it all forklifted in and out again. Also, there are no more B series and as you can see from the responses most want type-r parts which are not all that common anymore. No one will part out anything to you because they know it's a bad idea. Prices have gone up ALOT with demand and they know we will keep buying them. Us East Coasters have it the worst, you can pull this stuff off in Cali and hit your customers up for shipping. East coast you have to get your supply sent to you and then back out. You really have to go through the West Coast more than anything because the customs agents are used to the deal and things go smoother. Anywhere else, look forward to having your shipment detained until they feel ready and alot of headache. Most of the Japanese yards were pretty clear on this, though the choice was left up to me. Prices go down a little after a few shipments from most Japanese yards but this doesn't help a one timer. For example, I can get full hydro B16 swaps with every useable part off of the car thrown in for about 600.00, have a corperate account and get 60% off shipping, and the profit margin/savings still sucks for all of the work. Definately not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, if you stumble across a goldmine hit me up asap and I'll be in with you. But my experience so far has been grim. You can do better outside of Japan but wouldn't trust it at all. Malaysia and Thailand, etc. Good luck.

I know it's not JDM and all, but have you ever thought about sourceing from Europe? I mean, the guy here had about 13 B16As when I went. They come and go, but aren't to hard to find. finding things like ITR motors, and GSR's is another thing altogether, but I doubt there is a lot full of ITRs on every corner in Japan either.

I think I heard that story that 'Import Builders' was referring to.

But that is the case in any buisness. There are risks.

I've brought in several containers over the last few years, and yes - customs is the biggest hassle. I've never had any problems myself with any shipping company removing items from the container. Why do you think that you have to provide a content list and value estimate on the shipping contract?

My company does hundreds of millions of dollars of business with shipping companies throughout Asia and as long as you stick with the main lines and not some subcontractor you shouldn't have any problems. There are various frieght forwarders in Asia that subcontract from NYK.

I disagree that the average profit per item is only $200. It's more like $1,000.

There are not many B-series OBD0 motors around but there are still a few yards that have stockpiled them to sell. It is usually in your best interest to just buy the whole front clip (as there are all sorts of misc. goodies that you can ebay for extra $$).

Of course you can always hit up the Phillipines etc.. they have lots of cheap JDM motors and clips..but a lot of them are stolen. :lol:

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Apr 5 2004, 04:00 PM

I disagree that the average profit per item is only $200. It's more like $1,000.

Right, until you have to ground ship from NY. Point being, the deal breaker is going to be your approximity to a shipping yard. Transport and storage will eat up the rest unless your local to a big one.

I'm new to all this car stuff. I have a 92 Prelude SI and want a more powerful engine in it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Originally posted by numnugget@Apr 6 2004, 02:28 AM
I'm new to all this car stuff. I have a 92 Prelude SI and want a more powerful engine in it. Any suggestions? Thanks

:yes:

go to the proper forum and ask for advice in there

do not jump into someone elses thread with a question of your own unless it is DIRECTLY related to the topic at hand

it is directed towards this discussion. If I do not know what type of engine I should get, then I can't order one can I?

Originally posted by numnugget@Apr 6 2004, 11:31 AM
it is directed towards this discussion. If I do not know what type of engine I should get, then I can't order one can I?

Your question has no bearing, or use in this discussion. This isn't a discussion on a bigger motor for your car, or how to put it in, it is a discussion on shipping a container of part, to include motors, to the United States from Japan.

There are other forums, mmm...like the HYBRID forums that discuss putting another motor in your car.

well if everyone here was just a little nicer, they could've easily answered my question and then I could've put in an order for the appropriate motor no? what's the big deal?

dude, if you go search in accord and prelude forums i am POSITIVE you will find which motor is good for you within 5 minutes...

and if you had read the first three pasges on this topic you would know it has nothing to do with your car... you wanna order a motor, thats cool, go find out which one you need n00b...

NOTE TO FOOL: i'll give you a hint... H22 with a turbo AND supercharger and a zex EXTRA DRY nitrous kit, you'll be the envy of ALL YOUR FRIENDS MANG....

so all to the other guys that know what the hell they are talking about...
still no word from the JDM yard that i was trying to deal with, so now i'm taking people's advice and looking to EDM, i'd rather deal with someone that speaks english anyway, even if they refer to cigarettes as fags...

Im down for 1 piece headlights, JDM Integra Steering wheel, JDM front bumper, JDM folding mirrors. And a SPOON Engine, kidding.

Hit me up for a double decker bus. :D Seriously though, let us know if that works better.

Originally posted by cws13+Apr 6 2004, 06:42 AM-->
sleepn_accord
@Apr 5 2004, 04:00 PM

Right, until you have to ground ship from NY. Point being, the deal breaker is going to be your approximity to a shipping yard. Transport and storage will eat up the rest unless your local to a big one.

It costs me $200 to have a motor picked up from the wharehouse in California, loaded onto a container and delivered to my shop or customer's house.

99% of the places I've ever dealt with ALWAYS try to rape you on shipping. When it comes to shipping you're charge by the cubic space not the weight.

Now if something has to be shipped across the continent you're looking at an extra 150 or so. Considering that the main docking points from asia are Hawaii, California and Washington almost anyone will end up paying ~$200 to get their motor..

of course if you order from places like streetfagsimport.com they'll charge you 450 for shipping citing 'liability issues' as their reason for not allowing you to use your own freight forwarder.

i want a set of jay dee emm 96-98 headlights for a civic. type-ARRRRR preferably, but just regular ol' jdm headlights would be trick as hell.

ill pay whatever it costs. pm me.

If this ever did get off the ground, I bet you could get about 12 orders for 1st gen. CRX and 3rd gen. Civic hoods with the cam bump in them from the people at redpepperracing. :)

Back