2001 Civic EX Vtec transmission into a DX transmission swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

David_396

Did I a lot of Internet searching and found this forum. Couldn't find a definite answer. I've have a 2001 Honda Civic DX with a transmission that jumps out of Fifth gear. A friend has 2001 Honda EX Civic Vtec with a rebuilt 5 speed transmission that is in a wrecked car. Could I swap these 2 transmissions. Will this be a plug and play swap? Thank you David

I don't know for certain, but it does appear that the final drive ratios are different between the EX vs. DX. The DX manual had a 4.11 final drive while the EX came with a 4.41. The DX used 185/70R-14 tires while the EX used 185/65R-15 tires so I'm not sure off the top how the actual rolling diameter compares. Short of finding somebody that has done the swap and is willing to share, you may be best off just going in and eyeballing, measuring and comparing if you have access to both cars. If nobody out there knows or is willing to share, you may have to start digging through technical specs, and try looking in Honda shop manuals or even Wikipedia for things like VTEC engine physical characteristics vs. the regular Civic engine. Also look and compare the transaxle gasket where it mates to the engine block. Both the DX & EX share the same front & rear track width so that is promising. Doing a dry run via Honda service manuals first would be tidier than sliding underneath and twisting wrenches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've have a 2001 Honda Civic DX with a transmission that jumps out of Fifth gear. A friend has 2001 Honda EX Civic Vtec with a rebuilt 5 speed transmission that is in a wrecked car. Could I swap these 2 transmissions. Will this be a plug and play swap? get-vidmate.com instagram saver

I've have a 2001 Honda Civic DX with a transmission that jumps out of Fifth gear. A friend has 2001 Honda EX Civic Vtec with a rebuilt 5 speed transmission that is in a wrecked car. Could I swap these 2 transmissions. Will this be a plug and play swap? get-vidmate.com instagram og
Swapping transmissions between two different models can be a bit tricky...
safe to assume since they are both D17 engines it should.
2001 Honda Civic DX and EX models likely have slightly different transmissions due to their different engine configurations. The DX usually comes with a non-VTEC engine, while the EX typically has a VTEC engine.

Swapping transmissions between two different models can be a bit tricky...

2001 Honda Civic DX and EX models likely have slightly different transmissions due to their different engine configurations. The DX usually comes with a non-VTEC engine, while the EX typically has a VTEC engine.

Different in terms of gear ratios, but they should still bolt up to either engine.

Also, this thread is over a year old...

Back