2nd Gen B16 In A 88-91 Civic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
I have an 89 4 door civic and me and my friend put a 2nd gen (obd-1) b16 in it. i'm having a problem tho...i'm using a pr3 ecu but apparently it's not working properly with the distributor...could it be because that ecu is pre obd and the motor is obd-1? i'm pretty sure it is but my real question is what can be done to solve my problem? get a obd-0 distributor? that's what i am doing right now but i want to know what you guys think. the main problem is that the rev limiter kicks in at 3200rpm :unsure: the ecu is reading a code 4 which is crank angle sensor...any help would help me alot
 

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Mechanically,I believe it is the same as the siR,but electronically your going to have some issues,not that bad though.From what I gather you need the harness and adapters to put it in,and ecu from the car the motor came from to accomadate the OBD II.The OBD 0 ecu isn't going to work,your going to need the P2T that goes with the OBD II motor.Or OBD 0 distributor.
 

MaaseyRacer

Senior Member
if you are running an obd-0 ecu and the stock obd-1 distributor, then yes that is probably your porblem. go get an OBD-0 distributor and see if that fixes your problem.
 

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 28 2003, 03:28 PM
Mechanically,I believe it is the same as the siR,but electronically your going to have some issues,not that bad though.From what I gather you need the harness and adapters to put it in,and ecu from the car the motor came from to accomadate the OBD II.The OBD 0 ecu isn't going to work,your going to need the P2T that goes with the OBD II motor.Or OBD 0 distributor.

no my motor is obd-1...i say 2nd gen as in SiR-2 not b16a2...some people told me that they've done this swap before and they swapped out the distributor for the 1st gen (milky white connectors) and still used the pr3 ecu...anything else i could do that would help me? anyone? thanks for the reply
 

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Sorry,lost my mind for a minute there.But really the same should hold true,just in OBD I terms using the distributor to match teh ecu.
 

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
thanks for the help huys...anyone else have a take on this?
 

paybac4223

Junior Member
ok... i have the same setup... you are going to need to swap the dizzy out for a 1st gen b16....also you may just want to see if you can swap out your exhaust manifold for the one that uses dual o2 sensors....if you have any questions you can pm me...
 

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
paybac...what other problems have you had? right now i have the stock ls exaust manifold on my car right now because i had no down pipe for the b16 one...which i have for sale if anyone is interested ;) ...anyways... the ls one has the o2 sensor right on the manifold itself...i was just going to run both o2 sensorwires to one sensor itself...that's the only thing i can do right now...you have any other suggestions? thanks
 

D16z6CrxDx

Senior Member
with the dist. u have to use the obd0 dist with the obd0 ecu your car will not run right with out it..unless u rewige ur existing dist which is a process i dont know much about but ya run the 2 o2's from the one u have on ur manifold i did that with my d16z6 setup because depeng on my mood i swith from my obd1 p28 to my chipped pr3...and everytime i change the ecu i change the dist from a obd1 dist to obd0 dist.....
 

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Originally posted by D16z6CrxDx@Mar 3 2003, 02:21 PM
with the dist. u have to use the obd0 dist with the obd0 ecu your car will not run right with out it..unless u rewige ur existing dist which is a process i dont know much about but ya run the 2 o2's from the one u have on ur manifold i did that with my d16z6 setup because depeng on my mood i swith from my obd1 p28 to my chipped pr3...and everytime i change the ecu i change the dist from a obd1 dist to obd0 dist.....

thanks guys
 

bossman032

Senior Member
TO a Conversion to OBD1 ECU and Engine Harness!!

The question is how much you wiling to spend people charge a grip for these wiring.. good luck..
I am doing the same swap.. wiring is a bitch.. if you don't know anything like me..

:(
 

posol

RETIRED
Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Mar 1 2003, 04:12 AM
paybac...what other problems have you had? right now i have the stock ls exaust manifold on my car right now because i had no down pipe for the b16 one...which i have for sale if anyone is interested ;) ...anyways... the ls one has the o2 sensor right on the manifold itself...i was just going to run both o2 sensorwires to one sensor itself...that's the only thing i can do right now...you have any other suggestions? thanks

DONT do that. running 2 o2's into one sensor is a VERY bad idea. just run the primary for now, and it will throw a code- but it will run.

the distributor needs to match the obd of the ecu. so swap that for an obd0 one. you might need to cut/paste the plugs from the obd1 harness to plug it in. thats where your manuals come in.
 
Top