4wd EG Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gotboost858

Sup folks. I have been observing all the awd conversions everyone does on the civic and integras and noticed the limitations in performance and in durability. So here it is, I am building a 4WD Civic Hatchback based on the Corvette C4 IRS with the Dana 36 Rear Diff and the Corvette C6 Braking system. Need some Ideas for the build. Anyone?

I don't think that this is really as common as you're making it out to be. A lot of people talk about converting Hondas to AWD, and some people even gather parts or start the project, but finished ones that actually work well are quite rare...

"Lets try this again the right way!" means starting a thread that actually has a title telling you what the content relates to...

Not sure if this has anything to do with this thread per se', but the idea i have tossed around is a C6 vette rear driveline, subframe, suspension, etc... Mated to a j series out front, (obviously the trans and rear end would have to be re geared to suit the j series power band better)... I wonder how that setup and weight distribution would work out...

Alright fellas. I havent posted here in quite a while but my other car was destroyed by a shop out of Lancaster California so when I say "Lets try this again", I am actually referring to that instance. Since then the design and build has changed. I am cutting down the corvette c4 IRS and installing a new fabricated sub-frame then installing the Corvette C4 rear with QA1 dual adjustable shocks and Honda LS/ Vtec turbo motor with a CRV awd transmission. Gonna need your help folks if possible.

I already have the rear diff and suspension with the Dana 36 casing complete with 2.59 gears and some other parts from the other car that was destroyed by poor fabrication techniques. I am going to use the C6 braking system which is 13" front rotor's with 6 piston calipers and 11" rear rotors with 4 piston calipers. I have done research through the forum and mostly from Rallysol's original post confirming the Crv transfer case ratio as 2.5421. I am planning to use this rear with the crv trans and transfer case without a viscous coupler. Any thoughts?

ForumRunner_20130215_171257.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171311.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171327.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171343.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171357.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171411.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171427.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171441.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171501.jpg

ForumRunner_20130215_171514.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Since you're going to continue this discussion and it actually looks like you're moving forward with the project AND you won't change your thread title, I fixed it for you.

:calban:

i was just about to post up a few lanevo conversions :lol: but looks like you are on the move, good luck i hope you can make heads and tails and a cool car :thumbsup:

Interested in this, I just hate the idea of using the CRV transmission. I feel like it's going to be the weak link in an otherwise pretty nice chain.

The reason I am using the C4 Rear is because it gives me the rear diff ratio that puts me closest to the Transfer cases 2.542.1 ratio and will not require a viscous coupler. Since the transfer case is ran off of the transmissions ring gear the transmission is actually closer to a 4.10 gear set and the transfer case is matched to the rear diff @ 2.59. I get to run the corvette brakes all the way around as a benefit of using the corvette IRS. Arraut Motor Sports makes drop spindles for Honda and Acura cars alowing the use of the corvette hubs and the conversion to the Corvette C6 6 Piston front brake system. www.Arrautmotorsports.com

Last edited:
They are in the process of building these drop spindles with the corvette hubs and brakes for my project car right now. Robert at ArrautMotorSports says it will take about a week or 2 to get then finished. Im going with the + 49 offset and 6.69 backspacing in the corvette ZL1 wheel on a 17 x 9.5 wheel and Nitto NT01 225/40/17's.

Last edited:
Yeah their is no need for a vette engine. I have an ls vtec engine and transmission already waiting to go into this chassis when the rear is done. My plan is to build a better awd system than Epic Tuning and all the other kits out here. Better as in more durable and more adaptable to other Honda frames. The wagonvan awd system is great but good luck finding awd wagon parts and they are expensive, i paid 600 for the entire rear suspension for my awd kit. Epic tuning is claiming 10000 for their setup installed i am building it for less than 5 with a closer gear ratio removing the need for a viscous coupler and presenting new customization and performance to the car. The subframe costed me 360.00 and the rest of the rear is just like any other irs build. Everything in the rear of my civic is Corvette and the front except for the drop spindles is designed off of the ZL1 Corvette design.

Back