8.9 earth quake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maybe i'm an asshole here--

but is it me, or did 50,000 people get killed cuz they are stupid?

granted, we're only seeing limited footage...
but these guys were right on the beach. i can see some people getting f'ed up- but to me, that in no way looks like a 50k killer

last i heard the count is 60k and counting...anyone on this board read Maxim? I have a subscription (sp?) and the newest one came last week and has Eva Longoria on the cover (damn she is fuckin' fine)...back to the point...there is an article in there that has the worst natural disasters in history or something like that and if i'm not mistaken, there was a 6.8 earthquake i believe in china and it took the lives of 655K people...crazy shit...and the biggest earthquake on record was a 9.5 but i forget where it happened.

the earthquke wasn't even really felt by most these countries. this is pure water damage

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 28 2004, 10:04 PM

but these guys were right on the beach. i can see some people getting f'ed up- but to me, that in no way looks like a 50k killer
[post=438491]Quoted post[/post]​

They're all acting like dumbshits cause apparently there was no warning system. Apparently they didn't even know it was coming.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Dec 29 2004, 12:55 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Dec 28 2004, 10:04 PM

but these guys were right on the beach.  i can see some people getting f'ed up-  but to me, that in no way looks like a  50k killer
[post=438491]Quoted post[/post]​

They're all acting like dumbshits cause apparently there was no warning system. Apparently they didn't even know it was coming.
[post=438512]Quoted post[/post]​

b4 the tidal wave, the water drew back like 100 yrds...those dumass went out there to go see wtf or go "play"...wtf, didnt they know they water was going to come back, and come back fast..

thank god US has a warning system that gives us hours notice if a tidal wave is coming with exact time, size, and speed

Many of the people that died wern't on the beaches, they were living in the towns and villages on the coast. There was no way for them to know about this happening. I agree, that the tourists that died were selected due to darwinism, but the local people wern't out there to see the warning signs (like the water drainging from the coast).

My condolences go out to all that were affected by this tragedy.

The United States is offering a total of $35 million, followed by Japan with $30 million. Australia has now pledged $27 million, Saudi Arabia $10 million and Germany $2.7 million. (List of aid agencies)

doubled our giving. thats cool

they're saying we'll be giving more. hell i think a country as fortunate as us should be doing all we can to help them out there. its astonishing how many different countries and cultures this has directly effected.

I'm not reading the thread, because I'm at work. So I don't know if this is a repost or not.

May not be work safe. Not good if you have a weak stomach.

-> Steve

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@Dec 29 2004, 03:25 AM

thank god US has a warning system that gives us hours notice if a tidal wave is coming with exact time, size, and speed
[post=438532]Quoted post[/post]​

Wrong, we don't. On the West coast in Alaska and Hawaii (not sure if the mainland west coast does or not) has warnings, but there is no such warning system on the east coast. If for some reason there was a huge title wave to hit the east coast, we would be having the exact same amount of casulaties. Lets say you have 30 mintues to evacuate new york. With 6 million people or so trying all to go east, you would have huge backups and those trying to get away would be traped in there cars.

Originally posted by Celerity@Dec 29 2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not reading the thread, because I'm at work. So I don't know if this is a repost or not.

May not be work safe. Not good if you have a weak stomach.

-> Steve
[post=438768]Quoted post[/post]​

:eek: :eek: :eek:
omg all the people! that is just insane!

the risk of a quake off the EAST coast doesn't warrant the expense.

When is the last time there was an earthquake between Corpus Christie (sp?) TX and the west coast of Africa?

thats becuase the plates are moving directly away from each other in the middle of the atlantic... so ya...

Back