86 crx HF swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

snowsk8r911

hey all. I have an 86 crx hf that i'm wanting to do an engine swap to a b16a1, now i was wondering if i could get some input on extra parts i'd need. i was told i'd have to put a integra axle in along with a new fuel system since my car is already set up with a carburator. any other info would be cool. thanks.

ok so i did the research on getting this swap to a b16a done and turns out it's rediculously expensive. i totalled it out to be about $5g's to get all that stuff together not including the labor to put it in. is there any other engines i could pick up and not spend so much money on just the parts yet be able to get some performance out of it?

It shouldn't be that expensive.
What all are you calculating?

Engine
Mounts
Axles
Shift Linkage
ECU

Thats basically it. Granted it will be more expensive b/c your a 1st gen rex.

hasport told me i needed a new wireing harness (which i knew) but when i asked if they could get one for me they said they could make one but i would need to rewire my car for the si set-up. jhpusa.com has a b16a that comes with stock shift linkage, is that what i'm looking for? heres a link to the engine swap kit they're selling. JDM B16A 88-91 SIR1 V1 Engine Swap - JHPUSA.COM Serving JDM Since 1999. also i would need a new fuel system (going from carburetor to fuel injected) you have any places i can get the stuff i need? or a list at that?

Last edited:
no

you need a custom linkage mad up from the orriginal linkage to the tranny and the orriginal linkage to the car.... i had a bookmark of a guy that did it and welded a threaded rod to one end and a bolt set up to the other end so it was adjustable. hasport used to make "afblink" but i called them the other day and they dont make it anymore.... if you dont want to wire this swap Rywire - Online Store can help you. you need an sk7 style halfshaft to work with the hasport axels, and you need a 99 si rear engine bracket for the mounts . all the parts come up on ebay every so often. oh you also need the 1g integra knuckles and hubs, and if you get your motor from hmotoronline.com they said they cold give me the hasport mounts for 450 if i bought an engine. i'll get you guys more info when i find the link, and while i build my car.

in work 1987 crx dx auto to manual conversion b16a2 obd1 on ys1 lsd cable tranny. build and boost to follow

The swap isnt as hard as it sounds... Dont let it scare you. Btw you have the perfect chassis to start with. HF's only weigh 1700 lbs.

Wiring = easy, just get an 88-89 integra parts car. Out with the old, in with the new. Basically.
You'll have to address the VSS issue though but its not too tough (from what ive heard anyways because mine was the 86-87 non obd which didnt have it) and you'll also have to re wire the tail lights slightly because the integra has 4 main bulbs whereas your car has two. Luckily all the wires are pretty much the same color in both cars, so you'll know which ones are extra. The dash harness gets a little tricky too, but wiring diagrams are your friend.

Fuel lines will probably be the hardest area for you, i took the main hard line out of the integra and put it into my CRX but from what i heard after that you dont need to unless your really pushing some serious HP. Make sure you grab the fuel pump from the teg also, its fairly easy to mount. Your going to need a pipe flanging tool and some extra fittings so you can get the fuel line to hook up to the fuel pump.
Thats basically it, the link should give you the full run through. Only problem ive ran into so far was i have no more HVAC controls because the wiring diagram i was using didnt go into enough detail, but i still have fan control and obviously the heat/cool still works since theres nothing electrical about it.

Do they make a linkage for the pre-88's. I don't think they do.....

It specifically says right on that page that they do :D

You just need to ask them for it because they will need to make some due to it not being in high demand like 88+ cars.

Back