92 Integra...what To Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

qkrthnu

I had to change my log in because my old one is not working right. Anyway...my car was stolen and not it runs like shit. M insurance screwed me so I got to fix it my self. My question is what should I do now. The motor('92 b18a) runs but runs like shit. Does not smoke or leak...I know they stole some sensors and I replaced them but it still runs like shit. Should I keep fighting and rebuild the b18a or should I just focus on a swap. I know the b16a will go right in but I've read the ups and downs of tq. I really want a b18c but also have read about issues with cable clutch and hydro clutch. I have a brand new center force in my b18a now. please help. What are my best options. I want to spend about 3k to 4k total. This means if I rebuild my b18a(90k) I may have enough for a turbo. I have a dry NOs kit now but I'm thinking I could drop a B16a and have cash for some upgrades(cams,direct port,etc). Then again I could drop in a JDM b18c and be almost spent. How much diffrent is it to swap a JDM motor...what all needs to be changed. Any info would be helpful....please taxes are coming.

Look into a GSR from 92-93? The ones that are b17's are kinda rare but they will work with your transmission. You could actually just use the engine and use your tranny or you could do the full swap. Problems are the b17's are hard to find but it is alot easier than a normal b18c swap for your tag. Another route you could go is to do a LSvtec. This is where you use the head off a GSR, b16a or ITR and put it on to your b18a block. This is a cheaper route than doing a full GSR swap because you already have the bottom end. Things that you have to do for this is totally rebuild the bottom end with stronger parts to withstand the high revs that VTEC loves.

All B series engines will work with the tranny you have in there. The problem is the gears are so long, they don't work well NA. If you want the GSR then get the GSR engine, and sell the hydro tranny that comes with it. Use that money to buy a cable tranny from a B16 or a 92-93 GSR. Other than the tranny, the B18C1 swap is just like anyother B series swap into that chassis.
The B17 is rare, but not all that cool.

I did the b16 swap in my 90 teg, to be honest with you, it doesnt have the bottom end i would like, so if your looking for power below about 4800k id look in too Ls\t, but if your like me and wanted a cheap swap thats still fun around town, and lets face it you dont run into a Ls\t or Ls Vtec all that offten. So imo id go with the b16 if money is an issue and just build for revs, its still a fun car to drive around town. But if you have any plans on racing id look at the b18c.

It's not any harder as long as you get the same OBD version as your chassis. It is illegal in a few states (CA is one, I have heard rumors of others).

If I bought just a b16a longblock...could I use my ECU,axles,wiring?.
What all do I need if I buy just the motor?
is it worth it to go cheap and use my tranny or should I just get the complete swap

If you bought a B16A longblock and wanted to swap it you would have to do some rewiring (as your chassis is OBD1 and the engine is OBD0) . Your ECU would work, but it wouldn't use VTEC and it would limit you to 7200 RPM instead of 8200 RPM. I wouldn't reccomend it. If you bought a B16 longblock I would say go LSVTEC. Use the cylinder head and pistons from the B16, buy some various aftermarket parts, a P72 ECU and distributor, and you would be set. It would give you a chance to tear your old engine down and rebuild it plus you would see a healthly power gain.

get the complete swap you will be much happyer if thats a word, with it, if you use your trany you will not like that motor at all

If the complete swap what will I need to do as far as wiring...and will a clutch from a '92 ls tranny fit the B16a tranny. axles and all fit too?

brc80...what ECU came with your swap. I have and OBD1 so can I use my ECU and add the VTEC wires or do I need to sell the PR3 or PW0 and buy an ECU that works(which one???) Sorry for all the questions...I have money pretty much now and am real eager to buy something...anyone???

I know too many questions but...can I use a fields VTEC controller or a V-afc to along with my LS ecu. Please help....

You could do it that way, but you would be missing the extra fuel maps. VTEC ECU's have high and low lobe fuel and ignition maps. You LS ECU only has one set of maps.

I have a mugen programed Pr3, but im obd0 you are obd1 i belive so you would need a PR3-J00, feel free to corect me lsvtec if im wrong.

if you're in california and want to have it OE, meaning smog legal...you're somewhat limited.. JDM swaps are legal, but the motor has to be same year or higher and retain all the original parts and sensors.. no aftermarket headers, cams, etc.. and lsvtec is not an attainable route if you want OE unless you paid someone to pass you illegally because head swaps are not carbed exempt unless its the EXACT head as the OEM.. meaning no b16a head on a b18a/b block, etc.. and dont think you fool the referees because they catch you.. 92 LS B18A1 w/B18C head ? nope theyll assume you have a complete B18C swap and ask you for papers.. also custom turbos are hard to pass also because you have to have all the right sensors and the parts be OE or CARB exempted such as wastegate, injectors, ecu.. they check everything.. its a bitch but thats what you get for living in cali or a state similar to it. anyway.. watever which way you go.. good luck

Back