95 Civic DX B15B7 going to VTEC HEAD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lbeisel

I am knew to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post this, if not accept my apologize.

Anyway I have a 95 Civic DX with a B15B7 block and it just recently blew its radiator and overheated. The head is now bad. Good time to do a mini me.
Never have done this, have lots of experience with V8's (327 sb). Anyone have some good articles,advice, wiring for the ecu, etc.

Thanks,
Larry

Originally posted by lbeisel@Aug 11 2005, 04:18 PM
I am knew to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post this, if not accept my apologize.

Anyway I have a 95 Civic DX with a B15B7 block and it just recently blew its radiator and overheated. The head is now bad. Good time to do a mini me.
Never have done this, have lots of experience with V8's (327 sb). Anyone have some good articles,advice, wiring for the ecu, etc.

Thanks,
Larry
[post=539006]Quoted post[/post]​

Whoa whats a B15B7? I have never heard of that motor????????????? :blink:

Do you mean a D15B7???????

That was the number on the block (B15B7) 1.5L SOHC Honda 95 Civic DX. A gutless wonder but love the body style. I'll go out and recheck it but pretty sure thats right. It overheated and now I need a new head. I thought a VTEC head would be a good replacement. I think in Canada they called it a D15B7 but not sure.
Thanks,
Larry

I think its a D15b7, from a 92-95 civic dx or lx correct? You can put a vtec head on that block, but since you blew the HG & love the shape of the body, why don't you go a step further & upgrade to a B-series swap. Hell, thats what this website is practically dedicated too. You'll be a lot happier & appreciate the difference, espically coming from someone who has experience with v8's. Do some research & see what you think.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Aug 11 2005, 03:58 PM
I think its a D15b7, from a 92-95 civic dx or lx correct? You can put a vtec head on that block, but since you blew the HG & love the shape of the body, why don't you go a step further & upgrade to a B-series swap. Hell, thats what this website is practically dedicated too. You'll be a lot happier & appreciate the difference, espically coming from someone who has experience with v8's. Do some research & see what you think.
[post=539021]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah your right, just looked again, its a D15B7. Can't read my own writing.
Wanted to try to not spend a bunch of money but you could be right. And since the original motor has 179,000 miles on it it just makes since to swap it out. Heck I went 170,000 before I changed the timing belt, cheap person I am.

Thanks,
Larry

It's a D15B7... Canada does not change the engine stamping, or I'd stamp mine H22A lol.

Swap yer shit, D series engines are hopeless.

i got a D15b7 what all do i need to doto swap engines i got a VTEC out of a 1995 coupe ex

D series engines are hopeless.

The sheep says "BAAAAA".

You can spend $3500 or so and have a stock B16, put maybe 130 to the ground and join the club. Or you could keep your D15, put a D16Z6 or D16Y8 head on it for a couple hundred. Get an Si or an LSD tranny for another couple hundred, get a cam and a couple of bolt ons for another couple hundred and be faster than a B. Or if you're really smart, you'd just throw a turbo kit on your stock motor, put close to 180 to the ground. Save up your money for a while and then blow up your stock high mileage motor. Get a low mileage JDM engine for around $500.

D series are more fun, more challenging to make power out of, yet just as rewarding as a B, they'll teach you more, and they're cheap and easy to find. Not everyone wants 500hp. Very few ever achieve that goal and no one is running that much power reliably. But with a D you can easily achieve 150+ reliable hp and have a great time doing it and never look back and wish you had $wapped in a B instead. 150 whp in a 2k lb car to most of us is FAST. If not, then get yourself a cam, a turbo kit, and an AEM EMS.

Don't even ask me how I ended up with a SOHC OBD1 ZC block with a D16Y5 head running a used AEM EMS and bolt ons. Having a great time saving up for an Edelbrock turbo kit that costs a bit less than a B series swap.

I4 Honda head swap is cake compared to a V8. You get a VTEC ECU and it plugs right in, then you run a single wire to the VTEC solenoid.

well I went with the B16A into my 93 DX hatch, and I am a happy mofo, spent around 3000 CDN on the engine, and man does it go.

The sound alone when it kicks into vtec was worth it all.. Plus the look on people when it kicks in is PRICELESS!!!

Check out this site for some good info. You'll need the wiring for VTEC and it would be good to get the P28 ECU but if you need to get by you can use the one you have with a VTEC switch but its not recommended.

Back