95 Prelude Swap H22A1 to H23A. HELP PLEASE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Someone please guide me on the right direction I am no mechanic but I did a motor swap 100% by myself when my whole family was against it an said it wasn't worth it an I can't do it, but I seen potential in this car an I just can't wait to be able to say fuck y'all I did it Bitches an plus Ive done so much to the car now with it being my first an only motor swap BY MYSELF tha car means summin to me now if ya know what mean...
Anyways here we go,
Aight I bought a 95 Honda prelude last june an I can't get this Bitch right I'm so damn frustrated with it it ain't even fucking funny... This what I got an what I've done I Bought it an it had a H22a1 in it with a whole in tha Block... ( Junk ) lol so I listened to this guy online ( who has now Abandoned me so I need help ) but I ordered I believe it is a chipped p28 with base maps i pulled the H22A1 SET it on tha ground Bought a
JDM H23A an set the 2 motors side by side I stripped the H23A to nothing but a head an block pretty much an I put everything external off the H22A1 an put it onto the H23A Because the wiring harness that was in the car already
( I don't know if it was the factory harness or the h22a1 harness also does anybody know what motor came factory in my 95 lude ) so I slapped tha H23a with all the external parts from the h22a1 in tha car it fired right up.. But it just ain't running right... The only thing from the H23A that I'm using is the head an block an maybe the plug wires I can not remember witch ones I used
OKAY so,,,.
Now in the beginning It was running so rich I put a milk jug behind the exaust pipe an no exaggeration it literally turned the son of a bitch black,,, sut black... Also I do not know what I did to make it stop but it is no longer running that rich an puttin out all that black smoke but it is now getting gas in the oil instead of black smoking... This right here has always been one of the main issues since the car ever started the car will be idleing an you know the three wire clip that plugs into the map sensor well when it is plugged up and the other end which is a vacuum line well as soon as I plug that vacuum line up to the throttle body the car idles a little higher smooths out kind of like it's running right and then just dies every single time or vice versa if the three wire clip is unplugged and the vacuum line is plugged up the car will idle as soon as I plug the three wire clip in the car idle is higher smooth out kind of like it's running right and dies so pretty much what I'm getting to my understanding I could be wrong please correct me if I am but as soon as that ECU gets an accurate or wrong reading of what's going on the car dies... Throwing no codes. An no I DO NOT have the Map sensor an the TPS Backwards
Things I Have Replaced:
1. Map sensor
2. TPS
3. I Believe I changed all senors to do with temp or coolant.
4. Intake air temp sensor but not a new one I pulled one off another car at a junkyard just because I was there and I seen it so I figured I'd grab it you know what I mean... LoL 😂
5. Whole intake gasket kit.
6. Clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch slave cylinder, Master cylinder aw be damn if I put a new motor in and not change the clutch I had no idea how good or bad the other clutch was so I didn't want to put it in and have to pull it 6 months from then to change the freaking clutch...
If I can think of anything els I will add it but does anybody know what could be wrong or no if I did something wrong was I supposed to do something else I also read online that the only things you're supposed to use from the H23A is the head, block, and throttle body...
Does anybody know if this is true because if it is true then that means I'm using the wrong throttle body and the wrong map sensor because my map sensor is located on the firewall the map sensor that came on the intake of the h23 is located on top of the throttle body if ANYBODY CAN PLEASE HELP ME IM REALLY GOING THREW IT OVER HERE PLEASE CONTACT ME OR SEND MESSAGE... if u wanna hollar at me on Facebook my is AJ Pettit. An my profile pic is of me and my niece sitting down so just shoot me a message on there or something if you want or on here I appreciate it guys talk to you soon hopefully you can help me figure this out I'm about to junk this bitch LOL joking

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_004648.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004648.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20210411_004652.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004652.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20210411_004643.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004643.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20210411_004645.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004645.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20210411_004621.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004621.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20210411_004653.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004653.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20210411_004646.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004646.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20210411_004623.jpg
    IMG_20210411_004623.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20210329_133035_01.jpg
    IMG_20210329_133035_01.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20210329_133011_01.jpg
    IMG_20210329_133011_01.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 223
Welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. it's weird that plugging in the map sensor causes the car to die. But, it may just be triggering the change of open loop vs closed loop. Open Loop VS Closed Loop ECU Modes

since you changed motor parts, it could be car-related stuff that you didn't change

check your o2 sensor... your exhaust could be crapped out of even a clogged cat might cause weird issues.

how's the EGR on the car? could be clogged as well.

fuel pump? does it sound normal, not a loud whine?

are you using the stock ecu, p13? are you sure it hasn't been swapped out or chipped with some horrible 'jdm program' ? i can't really tell from the pics.

I'm not sure what open or closed loop is I'ma check out that link tho....I actually ordered an 02 sensor a couple hours ago because I just remembered the other day that back in June when I put the motor in I went to the junk yard an just got an o2 sensor off a random honda do you think that would cause the issue... Idk if I put in the thread or not but it is no longer black smoking or running rich but it had gas in the oil I don't know what made it stop running rich I think it cleared up when I was randomly changing parts trying to eliminate stuff off tha list ya know... also I just changed the oil yesterday and I'm going to run it and see if it is still currently getting gas in the oil I will let you know soon...
When I bought tha car it had the blown h22a1 in it and where the guy blowed the motor
( Yeah had a whole in block ) the radiator had all kind of funky shit in it so I don't know if that means the exhaust would too??? What you think???
The EGR I have a plate over so it is blocked off plus the ECU I got is a chipped b28 with base maps from Jason Waters if you told me that the knock sensor the EGR and I believe a few other things were deleted so the ECU ain't looking for that to my understanding and I believe the program running on it is Neptune OBD1... And for the fuel pump I have no idea I mean it's been working so I don't know but I will give it a look over and maybe try and check the fuel pressure or something I appreciate you responding buddy I've been dealing with this car since June and I can't get no real answers so all the info I can get I'm Grateful for

the ECT

The blown block would mix the oil and water pathways for sure, so the rad should be flushed out or you'll be getting oil in the water on the new motor too.
if you're getting gas in the oil, that says something like you have bad piston rings on the new motor...

do you know where this motor came from and if it was in good working order before you installed it?

The blown block would mix the oil and water pathways for sure, so the rad should be flushed out or you'll be getting oil in the water on the new motor too.
if you're getting gas in the oil, that says something like you have bad piston rings on the new motor...

do you know where this motor came from and if it was in good working order before you installed it?
Yeah flushing the radiator was one of the first things I did before putting the motor back in and the motor I ordered it from JDM it got shipped to my house they guarantee it to have less than 60,000 miles so that's why I went with them

Probably wrong ECU/MAP and also probably is throwing CEL codes , Welcome to HS
I don't know why it would be the wrong ECU Jason Waters is the one I got it from he asked me detailed questions everything what I was using which injectors everything I told him I was using everything from the h-22a1 except for the head and block the head and block is from the H23A so he sent me an ECU p28 chipped with base maps... I recently just changed the oil and oil filter and as we speak I am changing the plugs and wires and I noticed it finally threw a code...

code 7
throttle position sensor
and
code 15
Ignition Output Signal
I'm pretty sure I can figure out the throttle position sensor but what about this ignition output signal what the hell does that mean I'm using the external cool pack from the h22a1 and I am changing plugs and wires as we speak so if that don't help nothing what should I do I'm going to changing plugs and wires real quick if I don't post nothing after then that means nothing changed and I still need help LOL I appreciate all responses thanks guys been fucking with this thing since June I just want it running at this point correctly that is

I don't know why it would be the wrong ECU Jason Waters is the one I got it from he asked me detailed questions everything what I was using which injectors everything I told him I was using everything from the h-22a1 except for the head and block the head and block is from the H23A so he sent me an ECU p28 chipped with base maps... I recently just changed the oil and oil filter and as we speak I am changing the plugs and wires and I noticed it finally threw a code...

code 7
throttle position sensor
and
code 15
Ignition Output Signal
I'm pretty sure I can figure out the throttle position sensor but what about this ignition output signal what the hell does that mean I'm using the external cool pack from the h22a1 and I am changing plugs and wires as we speak so if that don't help nothing what should I do I'm going to changing plugs and wires real quick if I don't post nothing after then that means nothing changed and I still need help LOL I appreciate all responses thanks guys been fucking with this thing since June I just want it running at this point correctly that is
Jason Waters is a good dude and my tuner , (you a GA boi too ?) your TPS is going to be your issue it will resolve other issues probably

It was the evap purge controll solenoid valve..
Apparently it's deleted in the tunable ecus I didn't no that so I had it plugged up when it shouldn't be but tha weird thing is if it was deleted why did it affect tha way it was running

Back