97 Civic Si Engine In A 95 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

samy

This question is more of a 'should I swap' question. My daily driver, a 4 door stock 95 Civic (LX I think, I never found out for sure, bought it second hand), needs some engine work. But because of the cost of labor, I'm going for a swap (I have connections making this a cheaper alternative).

I've been offered a 97 Civic SI engine (that's all I know about it so far) and was wondering if there are any 'complications' to doing this swap because the cars are from different generations. Also, I'm wondering how many hours of work will this take? Finally, what would you consider a good deal on a 97 SI engine with 75-150 thousand km? Thanks in advance.

Alright, 1st, tell us if you have a sunroof/power windows/power locks on your car, then I can tell you what it is. 2nd, the Civic Si was made from 92-95, and 99-00. If it's a canadian Si, than it's an EX model (D16Y8) and in that case, not worth the time.

I don't have power anything, but people keep saying it's LX.. That's why I'm not sure. I live in Canada and buying in Canada so I'm assuming the engine is also Canadian.

My Civic isn't SI, but supposedly the engine that I was offered came out of a 97 Civic SI.. But you're saying it wasn't made that year so I don't know. All I know is I can get it for cheap and was planning to swap anyway. But if there are 'complications' like I said, I'll just look for another 95 Civic engine.

No, in the US it was made 92-95 and 99-00 and 02-up.

In Candia, your Si model for 97 is our EX model. So its just a d16y8 motor. It would be worth the swao if it was given to you, but a swap is the best for the cash. Personally, id go with the y8, they are nice little motors.

I see.. Well my motor is dying and I have to swap. I can get this 97 Canadian SI for cheap and just want to know if there are complications to the swap (any 'additional' steps compared to swaping for the exact same engine) or will it be a real simple in and out job of a few hours? Again my car's a 95 Civic sedan.

Its obd2 and your car is obd1... I am not 100% sure, but, you will need obd1 injectors, obd1 distributor, obd1 vtec ecu (p28), run 2 wires for vtec (from vtec solenoid and oil pressure to ECU), you will need to wire both o2's as 1 o2.

So you will need....

obd1 ecu,
some wiring,
obd1 injectors,
obd1 vtec distributor

I know i'm missing shit, but that is the short jist.

p.s. sorry i couldn't help that much :)

Alright, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help bud.

You're welcome.. :) The y8 is a good motor, the IM's are the "itr of the d-series" and the heads have smaller combustion chambers. Good for NA. The 6th gen tranny's are stronger than the 5th gens. So if you dont have the ~3000 to get a b16 into your car, id go with the y8. Nothing wrong with it.

BTW, 5th gen (92-95) 4 door chassis with manual windows and locks, and no sunroof's are DX's.

You've got a 102 HP 1.5L SOHC Non VTEC engine now.

The engine out of a Canadian Si <the SOHC VTEC> is 127 HP, and not worth the hassle because of sensor, distributor, and other wiring issues, unless you can get the entire engine harness attached and use an OBD1>>OBD2 adapter harness.

Finding a 92-95 EX or SI engine and ECU would be the best route. 125 HP and it drops in with just the addition of the wires to activate VTEC.

The 97 SI engine was sold anyway, so I can't go for it. At least now I know a lot more about my car haha. Thanks for the info and advice.

Back