A Buddy Needs Some Help - B18a1 Into 1990 Ef Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A buddy of mine has a 1990 Civic Hatchback 5Spd. He recently came across a B18A1 engine and tranny and wants to know what else he'll need to buy to make this engine work, as far as axles, mounts, linkage, etc. So if anyone could tell me what he needs to get so I can tell him, we'd both appreciate it cuz I'm thinking of doing a similar swap if I can get a hold of a 88-91 Civic. He's also on a budget so any OEM parts that would work would be appreciated but he said if a place like hasport has the right kit, then he'd buy that. Thanks for any help.

Hasport has everything you will need.(Mounts, adapted shift linkage,) He will have to convert to MPFI(multiport fuel injection) Unless he has an Si he has DPFI(directport fuel injection) Heres a link, it's very helpful:MPFI Conversion Don't get frustrated with the wiring, it's really not that hard, just take your time. This motor will pull very strong and is a good base setup. Anything else let me know.

Thank you dude. That just made our work so much easier to get that engine in, and I also found out after this was posted that the new Sport Compact Car Magazine has a story of how to do this exact swap step by step. So between your help and the mag, we're set. thanks again.

you might be able to come out a little cheaper by going to a salvage yard and geting most of the parts you need. axles would be from a 90-93 integra ls, 88-91 civic/crx si or 90-93 integra wiring harness, use 90-93 integra ecu, you canget a shift linkage from hasport, place racing, etc. or shortened 90-93 integra linkage will work. you'll need to purchase custom mounts from the companies above or go on ebay and look. on another note make sure you have the rear mounting bracket from the 90-93 integra.

Originally posted by Mech@Mar 23 2003, 04:42 PM
Hasport has everything you will need.(Mounts, adapted shift linkage,) He will have to convert to MPFI(multiport fuel injection) Unless he has an Si he has DPFI(directport fuel injection) Heres a link, it's very helpful:MPFI Conversion Don't get frustrated with the wiring, it's really not that hard, just take your time. This motor will pull very strong and is a good base setup. Anything else let me know.

as far as the wiring conversion goes, i personally wouldnt do it because after a while things could short out and possibly catch fire. what i did was change the whole body harness to an si body harness so the si engine harness plugged right in. But hasport does sell a harness that will plug into ur dx body harness and it is a mpfi harness which will work on a ls motor.

Quoted post[/post]]

what issue was that?

Back