ACL bearings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wtf

dont worry about that shit.(what berings to buy)....take ift to a machine shop and let the worry about it....i spun a bering a while back....i went to my (J&Y) machine shop and they gave me a new crank with berings for $160....with the other crank as a core...

they used over sized acl berings.....have not had 1 problem

ACL is the ISH :thumbsup:

I agree with Formby though, let a fucking machinist take care of it, it's their fucking job for Christ's sake, and it isn't that expensive. 99 times out of 100, a motor built by a machinist will outlast a motor built by a novice...

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 25 2005, 12:29 PM

I agree with Formby though, let a fucking machinist take care of it, it's their fucking job for Christ's sake, and it isn't that expensive. 99 times out of 100, a motor built by a machinist will outlast a motor built by a novice...
[post=516385]Quoted post[/post]​

But i already bought the crank and bearings already? So you telling me I should sell my crank and bearings and let the machinist take all the fun? No Way! :D
I'll rebuild the motor myself and by knowing that just did makes me sleep better at night. :D

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir+Jun 25 2005, 11:40 AM-->
sohcslammer
@Jun 25 2005, 12:29 PM

But i already bought the crank and bearings already? So you telling me I should sell my crank and bearings and let the machinist take all the fun? No Way! :D
I'll rebuild the motor myself and by knowing that just did makes me sleep better at night. :D
[post=516389]Quoted post[/post]​

I seriously wish you the best of luck then, let us know how it comes out! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir+Jun 25 2005, 11:40 AM-->
sohcslammer

all the fun???.....when your block sounds like tarzan pounding his chest ....you wont sleep at night.....trust me i know

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jun 25 2005, 12:51 PM-->
Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@Jun 25 2005, 11:40 AM
sohcslammer

I seriously wish you the best of luck then, let us know how it comes out! :thumbsup:
[post=516392]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe you should give me a helping hand since you live in the bay area like me. ;)

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir+Jun 26 2005, 03:29 AM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 25 2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@Jun 25 2005, 11:40 AM
sohcslammer

[post=516392]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe you should give me a helping hand since you live in the bay area like me. ;)
[post=516550]Quoted post[/post]​

Where do you live? I live in Concord.

yeah but probably in a school or with some one teaching them....not in their house with limited tools....

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jun 26 2005, 09:33 PM-->
@Jun 26 2005, 11:57 AM
Here's a point.  Even machinists had to start somewhere.
[post=516599]Quoted post[/post]​

Right. On OTHER people's motors..... :p
[post=516740]Quoted post[/post]​

Representing Oakland... :) So you guys telling me I shouldnt work on it myself? I'm on a budget right now. No money.... Sad but true....

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir+Jun 27 2005, 01:33 AM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 26 2005, 09:33 PM
Blanco

Representing Oakland... :) So you guys telling me I shouldnt work on it myself? I'm on a budget right now. No money.... Sad but true....
[post=516809]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't know you, so I can't tell you what you should do; I only know that I have been building hondas for quite some time now, I know quite a bit and have owned just about every popular honda motor, including - d16, b18a, b16, h22, gsr, and now ls/vtec. And you won't catch me doing any more than maybe pulling my head off, or putting in some cams. Suspension work, sure, but a total rebuild of my motor? I don't have nearly the right tools or the right space, OR the knowhow. I'd rather spend the money and know that it's done right. Machine work isn't as expensive as most people think, and machinist know a lot of little tricks and secrets that your average beginer won't know.

As Mac Mall would say - "this is my opinion"

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jun 27 2005, 09:56 AM-->
Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@Jun 27 2005, 01:33 AM
Blanco

I don't know you, so I can't tell you what you should do; I only know that I have been building hondas for quite some time now, I know quite a bit and have owned just about every popular honda motor, including - d16, b18a, b16, h22, gsr, and now ls/vtec. And you won't catch me doing any more than maybe pulling my head off, or putting in some cams. Suspension work, sure, but a total rebuild of my motor? I don't have nearly the right tools or the right space, OR the knowhow. I'd rather spend the money and know that it's done right. Machine work isn't as expensive as most people think, and machinist know a lot of little tricks and secrets that your average beginer won't know.

[post=516918]Quoted post[/post]​

I am not sure at what you are getting at... Right tools? I hope you are talking about prep work and what not, because it doesn't take more than the correct parts, a Helms, a torque wrench, some oil and a socket wrench with a 10, 12, 14,15,17, and 19 mm sockets to assemble the entire bottom end. And patience, lots of it. Just follow the correct procedure to the letter, making sure everything is within spec, and you should be fine. As for not replacing something when it's "not broken", yeah, I did that, and my timing belt tensioner blew 20,000 miles later and set me back without a car...my .02

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jun 28 2005, 03:26 AM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 27 2005, 09:56 AM
Blanco

I am not sure at what you are getting at... Right tools? I hope you are talking about prep work and what not, because it doesn't take more than the correct parts, a Helms, a torque wrench, some oil and a socket wrench with a 10, 12, 14,15,17, and 19 mm sockets to assemble the entire bottom end. And patience, lots of it. Just follow the correct procedure to the letter, making sure everything is within spec, and you should be fine. As for not replacing something when it's "not broken", yeah, I did that, and my timing belt tensioner blew 20,000 miles later and set me back without a car...my .02
[post=517261]Quoted post[/post]​

Right, I totally have a serdi machine, a hone, scales and machines to balance my rotating assembly, and I really know how to clay a motor for clearances not to mention the machine needed to press my pistons onto the rods and to knife edge my crank.....

Sorry if I don't live in Alabama and assemble my engine in the back yard wearing my denim overalls, kickin' coon dogs and making out with my sister. :ph34r:

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jun 28 2005, 09:58 PM-->
Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 28 2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 27 2005, 09:56 AM
Blanco

[post=517261]Quoted post[/post]​

Right, I totally have a serdi machine, a hone, scales and machines to balance my rotating assembly, and I really know how to clay a motor for clearances not to mention the machine needed to press my pistons onto the rods and to knife edge my crank.....

Sorry if I don't live in Alabama and assemble my engine in the back yard wearing my denim overalls, kickin' coon dogs and making out with my sister. :ph34r:
[post=517841]Quoted post[/post]​

Okay, I hope that was not aimed at me, because I think I recall distinguishing prep work from assembly. You don't need a serdi machine unless you plan on trying to make money doing lots of valve jobs for people. Honing your cylinders is not that big a deal to DIY, but once again, falls into the "prepping" category, and balancing is not necessary, unless, once again, you have had the rotating assembly machined. A press is in no way expensive at all, but once again, you can have someonne else do it; or, if you actually went and spent actual money on a set of forged pistons, you wouldn't need to have them pressed, because you would have full floating wristpins... Knife edging your crank is extreme, and I wouldn't trust just any machinist to do it either. It's kind of like hiring someone to paint your portrait; you don't just hire any joe shmuck artist who says he can paint. If doing machine work on an engine is what you call assembly or whatnot, then I totally agree with you, I would never try to do any of that machine work myself; I did however pnp my own LS head, and RM said itwas on par with many professional jobs. As for your experience, if all you've ever done with your engines is pull heads and change cams, headers, etc., you are no more an engine builder than any other rice-head out there. Sorry to come across so blunt, but don't discourage other people to try something new. Lots of good mechanics have been taught at Shade-Tree U. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I live in California, and communicate with a lotof good engine builders and technicians. And I don't make out with my sister or wear coon skin caps, but I'll admit I like hunting. :p

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 29 2005, 06:24 AM
Once again...:withstupid:

Who considers machine work to be the same thing as putting a motor together?  We're talking about replacing bearings here, not boring and honing the cylinder walls, not pressing the wrist pins out of pistons...replacing bearings.  Follow the directions, take your time, double or triple check your clearances using either plastigauge or a dial bore gauge, and make sure everything's torqued properly.  If you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be changing your head gasket or cams either.

And we're just glorified rednecks out here in Califurknee, Bergy. :p
[post=517915]Quoted post[/post]​

All i really need is replace the bearings. Everything else seems fine. One bad Rod. But i have extra rods laying around. Other than that replacing the bearings seem easy.

Is it neccessary to take the top block off? To get to the bearings. I wasnt sure. A little suggestion?

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 29 2005, 05:24 AM
Once again...:withstupid:

And we're just glorified rednecks out here in Califurknee, Bergy. :p
[post=517915]Quoted post[/post]​

:) Yeah, I live about half an hour from you Blanco......

Bergy - I wasn't aiming that at you, I was saying that I don't do my own engine work, and yes, I had quite a bit of machine work done to my motor. My crank was knife edged, nitrated, my cylinders were bored, honed, and my motor was clayed for clearances. I am all for someone doing their own work, I just think bottom end work should be done by a proffesional that has all the tools, ie. plastigauge, a bore gauge, etc.... Besides, the prep work is what cost the money, it was like 200 bux to have it assembled. :shrug2:

i agree with all of you in someways....but the kid doesnt even know what bearings to buy.... and if he wants to use acl he might have to machine the crank to fit the new bearings... but im not possitive about that....

Originally posted by formby@Jun 29 2005, 12:30 PM
i agree with all of you in someways....but the kid doesnt even know what bearings to buy.... and if he wants to use acl he might have to machine the crank to fit the new bearings... but im not possitive about that....
[post=518072]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Actually this argument is so stupid it makes my head hurt. I'm ashamed to be a part of it really... :p

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@Jun 29 2005, 05:51 AM

All i really need is replace the bearings. Everything else seems fine. One bad Rod. But i have extra rods laying around. Other than that replacing the bearings seem easy.

Is it neccessary to take the top block off? To get to the bearings. I wasnt sure. A little suggestion?
[post=517934]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, you will have to pull the head to pull the rod out. No you wouln't have to pull the head if you were to JUST replace the bearings. I'd say go with the ACL's because they have been proven to work. You shouldn't HAVE to machine your crank to get ACL's to fit, but buy the ACL kit, and then plastiguage, and if you find the bearings are too large or too small, go order oem for the journals in which the ACL's won't work.

Back