AEM filter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I know that AEM has a filter cleaning kit, but I was just wondering if anyone used something besides that? My dad just sprayed his mustang's filter with a little simple green, shot it easy with the hose and let it air dry and it turned out really good. Hooked it up and no problems.
Anyway, I was just curious as to know what you guys/girls did to clean your AEM intake system, or any filter for that matter.
I took mine off and it was just a little dusty after roughly a year and a half ( I try and stay away from gravel roads as much as possible), pulled a few tiny bugs out of the screen and looked inside the intake tube, it looked pretty clean to me.

I have washed mine with simple green before and it does a great job, but what your missing which comes with the AEM/Fram/K&N recharge kit is the oil. The filters need the oil to catch the dirt. Without it, there is nothing for the oil to stick too and thus doesn't filter that well

Originally posted by Harms Way@Jun 22 2005, 09:25 PM
how do i oil my filter? just take it off, soak it and let it drip the excess off and put it back on?
[post=515445]Quoted post[/post]​

With the recharge kits, it comes in an areosol can that you spray on the filter and you spray it until it is all even. You let ist sit there and dry. It will lighten up again, then you respray the parts you missed (become more appernt when it drys) then put it back on. I would actually like to know a substitue but one a few threads that I have read about using "non recharge kit cleaners" no one has a suggestion on what oil to use

hmm, I wonder if the little bits of left over simple green would grab dirt as well. Is there a time to replace the filter or is it best to just keep cleaning? I found a website where I can get a replacement filter for 63.00 shipped overnight.

K&N's have a million mile warnetee so as long as you clean it, then it will basicly last forever unless you some how sqaush it or somethign like that (happens alot) but you need an filter oil for it, simple green is a clearner, not an oil.

Originally posted by Harms Way@Jun 22 2005, 05:45 PM
hmm, I wonder if the little bits of left over simple green would grab dirt as well. Is there a time to replace the filter or is it best to just keep cleaning? I found a website where I can get a replacement filter for 63.00 shipped overnight.
[post=515457]Quoted post[/post]​

<_< Yo, what kind of air filter are you trying to clean or replace, AEM, K&N, or an OEM one? What filter will that $63 get you? And NO, Simple Green will not help grab dirt, you need filter oil buddy. And the time to clean your filter is when it's dirty! :p

If you don't want to order a aem cleaning kit from online, do I what I did. Go to your local autoparts store and pick up a k&n filter recharge kit. Its basically the samething as the aem. Its comes with a cleaner and the oil. First clean the filter & let it dry. Then spray on the oil & let that dry. Then reinstall.

Back