Alternators physically different?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

I got a complete OBD2b GSR that came from a 99-00 civic SI.

I am putting it in a 92-95 and converting it into a OBD1.

Are the only things I need to convert are the alternator and distributor?

Also are the distributors between OBD2b and a OBD1 physically different, because when I try to put the OBD2b alternator on the OBD1 GSR brackets it is off by like 1/8 inch. So if I actually get the OBD1 will it fit or are the brackets the culprit?

Thanks in advance

The alternator plugs between OBDI and OBDII are different. I believe the OBDI has a square plug and OBDII has a round plug, Or is it the other way around? I forget, but they are definitely different

So if you are using the Civic harness you'll have to swap out the plugs. If you use the motor's harness then you'll be ok.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 13 2005, 01:44 AM
yup plugs are different
[post=511572]Quoted post[/post]​

I knew the plugs were different, but I meant the physically housing of the alternators or the brackets. Are they different between OBD or car?
Thanks

im running an 95 GSR alternator on my 01 JDM ITR engine (didnt feel like swapping the plug on my harness)
it fits perfectly

Originally posted by NoJokE@Jun 13 2005, 12:58 AM
The alternator plugs between OBDI and OBDII are different. I believe the OBDI has a square plug and OBDII has a round plug, Or is it the other way around? I forget, but they are definitely different

So if you are using the Civic harness you'll have to swap out the plugs. If you use the motor's harness then you'll be ok.
[post=511563]Quoted post[/post]​

Hypothetically if they physically fit in the bracket I have I can use an OBD2b alternator on an obd1 engine if I swap the plugs? If so swap the plugs on the harness to fit or on the alternator?

Thanks

Back